aberdeen-music

Bands that make you binge listen.

Paranoid Android

There are some bands that I may not listen to very frequently but when I do am guaranteed to listen to most of their discography many times over the week that follows. The classic one for me is Sonic Youth. I can not listen to them for a few months and then get the urge to put on one of their albums, after that one listen I always go on to one of their others and then another and for a short while it's as if no other band exists.

Another one which has been the inspiration for this thread is spoon. I put on Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga earlier and since I've listened to Gimme Fiction and now I'm on Girls Can Tell. The next album I listen to will almost certainly by Kill the Moonlight.

Yo La Tengo and British Sea Power are another couple of bands I have this kind of relationship with.

Who are yours?

I get this the most with Mary Timony/ Helium. I don't listen to any for ages but once I'm in the mood I feel like pretty much listening to everything she's ever done. This mood is overtaking me at the moment, what with the thought that this time next week I'll be seeing her live for the first time ever.

http://www.nme.com/news/wild-flag/59816

Samuel Jackson Five. I'm physically incapable of listening to just one track, I have to listen to the whole album. I don't even know why. They're not even one of my favourite bands (I mean, they are awesome but I wouldn't list them in a top ten or anything). I think it might be the track lengths. They're short but sound like they should be longer so you end up listening to more tracks.

• Upvote 1

The Beatles, David Bowie, Neil Young, Sonic Youth, The National, Bob Dylan and Godspeed! You Black Emperor are the first artists that spring to mind.

Saying that, I never listen to the same song over and over again, that would drive me mad. I really can't be doing with hearing the same song repeated during the day, even if it is a band that I like.

With a new album I'll give it a lot of plays, maybe every day for quite a while but I still wont likely listen to it twice in a row. I'll go from it to something else and then back again. Whereas with the examples given in the opening post I'll get stuck on them for a while without any other group interrupting.

Generally bands that have loads of albums and never had a noticeable period of "going shit"

Silkworm, Guided By Voices, Buffalo Tom, The Replacements. Everything by both Descendents and ALL, since they are essentially the same band.

Probably loads more.

I only know Tim and Let It Be from the Replacements. I don't believe their other albums can be as good because that would make me a fool for never having hear them.

I only know Tim and Let It Be from the Replacements. I don't believe their other albums can be as good because that would make me a fool for never having hear them.

Get Hootenanny as well. Personally, I'm not a fan of their stuff after Bobby Stinson was sacked. Paul Westerberg is a cock.