aberdeen-music

What local Aberdeen bands do you want to see play at Stage 81?

TomJ819

Cheers for that Jan, all good bands, especially Katerwaul :-)

I wasn't actually after contact details, we have a database of over 150 bands and solo artists in Aberdeen and that will be going live on the website in February. I was just asking peoples' views on bands they'd like to see play at our Stage 81 events.

Are you in a band Jan? If so do we have your bio details for the Aberdeen Bands website? More info here: http://www.aberdeenbands.com/?p=726

Good point about there being some interesting new groups in Aberdeen you haven't heard of yet, keep an eye out on the Aberdeen Bands website - when we launch the band profiles next month you'll be able to do a search for local bands in Aberdeen by genre.. who's knows what you'll fine.

As a side note here (before I get a barrage of comments about 'genre') I fully appreciate that a lot of bands don't like to labelled under a specific genre, however it's the only way we can set up such a search function on the website... if bands refuse to give themselves a genre, they will remain unfound :-)

Sorry Chris, how is this spam? Just like aberdeen-music.com I'm passionate about helping out local bands which is why I've started this discussion in the 'Music Discussion' section.

I don't run a commercial business so I'm not benefiting financially from this, all money made at Stage 81 goes back to the bands after venue costs.

Is aberdeen-music.com not about bringing together the music community of Aberdeen rather than accusing their users of spamming?

• Upvote 1

Sorry Chris, how is this spam? Just like aberdeen-music.com I'm passionate about helping out local bands which is why I've started this discussion in the 'Music Discussion' section.

I don't run a commercial business so I'm not benefiting financially from this, all money made at Stage 81 goes back to the bands after venue costs.

Is aberdeen-music.com not about bringing together the music community of Aberdeen rather than accusing their users of spamming?

I've sent you a PM explaining what I meant.

I don't understand either, I have been reprimanded in a private message and I shall no longer be using aberdeen-music.com for promotion of my website and the bands I represent - which is ALL bands in Aberdeen and the Northeast. Contrary to various rumours about me, I do not favour my band or my mates bands. I make it quite public that anyone can email me and contribute to my site.

It's a shame because I think we should all be working together and I'm more than happy to have a weekly article on AberdeenBands.com with the top trending topics from aberdeen-music.com linking my readers to aberdeen-music.com on a regular basis. I have no beef against aberdeen-music.com, I don't want to compete with them, I don't want to take any of the a-m.com users ... all I want to do is promote local music.

I use aberdeen-music.com as a platform to spread my message to music fans in Aberdeen because I feel aberdeen-music.com have a great place in the music scene and a massive following... surely this is a compliment to aberdeen-music.com

It's a massive shame and I shall continue to promote local bands without using aberdeen-music.com.

Cheers for that Jan, all good bands, especially Katerwaul :)

I wasn't actually after contact details, we have a database of over 150 bands and solo artists in Aberdeen and that will be going live on the website in February. I was just asking peoples' views on bands they'd like to see play at our Stage 81 events.

Are you in a band Jan? If so do we have your bio details for the Aberdeen Bands website? More info here: http://www.aberdeenbands.com/?p=726

Yes, I am in a band. Have a look in my signature.

Whilst it is good to have another promoter in Aberdeen, I find it very strange that you are asking for opinions on acts, but not actively getting in touch with bands YOU like. You could always head down to a few gigs and see if there any bands that excite you.

Why the need for privacy?

I thought it was more polite and would be clearer in a PM without drawing it out into a public debate.

Basically I have no problem with the asking of suggestions for bands or promoting the gigs themselves, it's the thinly veiled promotion for AberdeenBands.com (across numerous posts in different threads) that I was objecting to. I welcome Tom to the site and hope he contributes and I believe we would be happy to work with the site. But we have sponsors who pay to advertise on here and it's not fair to them to allow other sites to advertise on the forum for free by spamming threads with obvious promo posts for their site (be it a commercial site or otherwise).

it's the thinly veiled promotion for AberdeenBands.com (across numerous posts in different threads) that I was objecting to

I see your point, although I don't object to this thread as a means of promoting ab-bands. The complaint would be more about the slightly lazy, verging into off-topic intrusions into other threads. See Moshulu/ice cream for quo threads.

I shall no longer be using aberdeen-music.com for promotion of my website and the bands I represent - which is ALL bands in Aberdeen and the Northeast. Contrary to various rumours about me, I do not favour my band or my mates bands. I make it quite public that anyone can email me and contribute to my site.

These accusations you're defending yourself from are news to me. I don't even know what band you're in. I presume this statement about you representing all bands in the North-East is simply a deceleration of your impartiality. Otherwise it sounds a bit odd.

It's a shame because I think we should all be working together and I'm more than happy to have a weekly article on AberdeenBands.com with the top trending topics from aberdeen-music.com linking my readers to aberdeen-music.com on a regular basis. I have no beef against aberdeen-music.com, I don't want to compete with them, I don't want to take any of the a-m.com users ... all I want to do is promote local music.

Did you discuss all this with the guys who run ab-music? (Whoever that is, I'm not entirely sure. Who is 'the boss'?)

I think you should take a deep breath, chill out, have a wee think about things, re-open a dialogue and start afresh.

I use aberdeen-music.com as a platform to spread my message to music fans in Aberdeen because I feel aberdeen-music.com have a great place in the music scene and a massive following...

It would be nice if ab-music could harness this sort of enthusiasm, and as a community start to feel the same way about itself as you do.

It would be nice if ab-music could harness this sort of enthusiasm, and as a community start to feel the same way about itself as you do.

Did you take my advice from the 'where's out scene gone' thread and purchase the compilation that I put together thanks to contributions obtained solely through this website?