aberdeen-music

Why Aberdeen?

Adam Easy Wishes

I'm not saying I've got taxi driver style "knowledge" but if someone mentions a place name/street in Aberdeen I usually know where they mean. I get overwhelmed by the sheer size of bigger places.

I miss this about living in Aberdeen. I knew that city inside and out and reckon i've walked about 80% of the city streets. Now, I know little pockets where I live really well but there are parts of the city I have no idea. It took me the best part of a year to begin to 'know' my own neighborhood. Now i've moved and i'm back to square one. And, I live where the streets aren't on a grid system (most of Manhattan is easy coz of the numbered streets and avenues) so it takes a long time to get used to the surroundings. You meet people all the time who live in Manhattan and have never been to Brooklyn. That's like living in toon centre and never going to BOD. It's hard to wrap your head around the sheer size of the city and sometimes I wish I was somewhere a bit smaller, only sometimes. Aberdeen is a good size.

I moved into Aberdeen in 1998 from the 'Shire, to go to Aberdeen College. Lived all over, Bridge of Don, Bridge of Dee, Ferryhill, city centre, Kincorth, and loads of other places. Left last year for a few reasons. I was extremely bored in my job first of all, then I broke up from a 4 year relationship in which I'd spent almost all my free time with my girlfriend, landed with a bump when I realised that in that 4 years all my mates had got married and had kids and were all settled, and I never saw them any more. Found myself just sitting at home by myself every night and I felt like I was stuck in a rut so I needed a fresh start somewhere new. Moved to Dublin in October, I love the city but it terrifies me. I miss Aberdeen sometimes, I was critical of the place and I was bored of it, but it was home for 14 years and I consider it my home town, although I grew up in or around Fraserburgh.

I know neither of those Kevins.

i left oldmachar in 2008 aswell :confused:

i dont know you though............?

Sounds about right. I'm trying to play a guessing game of who you might be, but I have no idea, what's your name?

I miss this about living in Aberdeen. I knew that city inside and out and reckon i've walked about 80% of the city streets. Now, I know little pockets where I live really well but there are parts of the city I have no idea. It took me the best part of a year to begin to 'know' my own neighborhood. Now i've moved and i'm back to square one. And, I live where the streets aren't on a grid system (most of Manhattan is easy coz of the numbered streets and avenues) so it takes a long time to get used to the surroundings. You meet people all the time who live in Manhattan and have never been to Brooklyn. That's like living in toon centre and never going to BOD. It's hard to wrap your head around the sheer size of the city and sometimes I wish I was somewhere a bit smaller, only sometimes. Aberdeen is a good size.

It's a dream of mine to move to New York someday, but the size of the place does seem overwhelming. I've always preferred bigger places and wanted to move to London for years because I love how it's so huge there's always something going on. New York seems different, though, I'm not sure if I could handle it. Although, I think my reasoning behind wanting to go is "If I wake up at 3am and want a donut, I could probably go out and get one." Judging by this thought, it's obvious I've never actually been!

Evading the question, eh?

I'm going to stop talking about this here before I turn into a massive hypocrite. Nobody wants to read a conversation that will inevitably end with two people still not knowing one another.

Don't stop now, you tease, I'm on tenterhooks. DO KIRSTEN AND LITTLE GREEN KNOW EACH OTHER?!?!?!?!

Edit - What is a tenterhook anyway?

Edit edit - It's a type of hook, anticlimactically.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenterhook

Evading the question, eh?

I'm going to stop talking about this here before I turn into a massive hypocrite. Nobody wants to read a conversation that will inevitably end with two people still not knowing one another.

yes actually.

but so did u.

i only know 1 kirsten and she left in 2009.

unless your kirsten forsyth. but idk who that is. just sum qwine that went to oldie.

I was born in Stirling, moved to Crossford when i was 2, moved to Dumfries when i was 4, then Glencaple when i was 14. All the moves (bar the Glencaple one as it's not far from Dumfries) were with my Dad's work. He got moved up to Aberdeen when i was 16 and i joined my family up here when i was 17 (lived with my grandparents for 6 months as i was right in the middle of my highers). Did my last year of school here and then decided that i didn't want to move again so i went to uni in Aberdeen.

Aside from living in Australia for a while in my early 20s i've lived here since and don't really want to move from the area as i like it here.