aberdeen-music

Why Aberdeen?

Adam Easy Wishes

Grew up in Edinburgh, applying to university for medicine only 5 uni's in Scotland do the subject -> Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee, St Andrews and Abedeen. Did not want to go to St Andrew's so applied for the other 4, (tuition fees in England so no way I was applying for them!). Didn't really want to stay in Edinburgh, love Glasgow as a city but PBL course and Dundee rejected me so the only choice left was Aberdeen! They also pay me £1000 a year scholarship so really can't complain... plus I LIKE cold weather so actually suits me fine up here. The sun is evil. I'm so ridiculously pale I got sunburn in Orkney wearing factor 32.

are you still studying medicine? what year you in?

Grew up in Bridge of Don, moved into the town centre for a few years when i was 18 for various kinds of madness, moved back to the B.O.D about 5 years ago to move in with my ex and because one of bands split up and i was living with the guys so it became awkward. I was working at the beach when i moved back to Bod and cycling became a pain, plus the hours didnt help with my relationship, got myself a 9-5 thinking it would help things, g/f finished with me anyway and booted me out but i decided to pay the extra and just stay in the area, got myself a cat and wee quarter house thing which was costing more than half my monthly wage, luckily one of my old school friends was looking for a place and she also works in Bod so we got a place together and its been happy sailing for a few years now.

I personally love Aberdeen, i love the fact i can walk across the city in a couple of hours and living in bod i can escape from the city life quite easily, a 10 minute walk and your in the middle of nowhere. I live 20 minutes walk from my work which is obviously handy and most of my school mates still live in bod. I do sometimes wish i had maybe left Aberdeen when i was younger, but really just because it would be interesting to see how different things could have ended up, but i see mates in other cities doing the exact same thing they would do if they lived here, and i just dont see the point in leaving behind my family and stuff.

hey i'm in bod too! its arite.

Grew up in the Shire, moved in for Uni when I was 17. I had a very varied experience in my four years there. Met some people that were fantastic to be with at the time, but looking back it seems silly that I spent so long with them.

Anyway, moved to Edinburgh in August to do a masters degree, and when I was back over Christmas/New Year, I found that I enjoyed being in Aberdeen a lot more than I did when I was at Uni there. It's far from perfect and I couldn't move back there, but the holiday period gave me a new found appreciation of the city. Since I was there with nothing to do other than be on holiday while my girlfriend was at college/work, it let me see the place in a newer way, whether that was through just going for a walk in Scotstown Moors or having time alone in the city centre.

having said all this, I have met some wonderful people in Aberdeen over the past few years that I really miss.

Grew in in BOD, went to Forehill Primary School then moved to Thailand then Singapore then Australia with my Dad's work. Returned to Aberdeen when I was 17, got a flat in Garthdee with my then girlfriend, that went horribly wrong and moved back in with my Mum in BOD, met another girl, moved into a flat on King Street, had a daughter and moved into a house in Danestone. We split up, moved into a flat in BOD myself for a couple of years and moved into town last year. Moving in with my girlfriend in April to a flat on Thistle Street.

Always thought I'd have left Aberdeen years ago but having my daughter was obviously a major turning point for me. Won't be moving away til she's at least school age (this year actually) and even then, it wouldn't be far.

Plus, the DANDIES are here.

I too have lived in the Bridge of MF Don my whole life. I definitely appreciate it more than I used to. I used to want to get out of Aberdeen entirely just because I believed I hated it, but that was when I was fifteen and I didn't think there was anything for me to do. Now that I know of fun things to do and I have friends who aren't just people I know from school, I like it better. I'm five minutes away from countryside and an hour's walk from the city centre. Living in the suburbs is annoying when you can't drive, though, and either have to walk everywhere or rely on First Bus' appalling service.

I moved into town for six months last year to help out a friend whose flatmate had left her in the lurch halfway through their lease, but as of September I've been back in BoD. I do miss living in town, though, and having the option to go out after 10pm rather than just having to say no because of buses.

As much as I don't mind the place now, I'm definitely aiming to move away from the city this year. My boyfriend moved to Edinburgh in August and I've been more miserable recently as a result, so I should probably join him once my course is finished or I might go mental.

Didn't realise so many people were in the Bridge of Don. May have to start a spin-off from the stalking thread. I went to Forehill and then Oldmachar - the route of kings.

MarkDrummer, if you are who I think you are, I was in your brother's year at school.

Moved to Westhill from Sunderland with my dad's new job when I was 1 year old. Barclays were opening a new branch in the city and he came in as the Manager.

Went to Gordons (yes yes, private school scum), and went to Aberdeen Uni to do Engineering. Graduated and got a job 5 years ago in the oil industry. With my job experience there isn't many places I could work in the UK. But I think I could fancy a stint in Shetland, went there for a holiday and the tranquility is just amazing.

Got married, and my parents and the wifes parents are only 15 minutes away - so when the stork comes calling, we can pass off the little scrote onto Grandparents and still have a semblance of a life.

I'm happy here, my friends are here, and as long as North Sea Oil is still pumping- I have a job here. But fuck decomissioning, fuck that!

I've spent all of my adult life in Aberdeen. Came here for uni, banking on the idea that the vast majority of the people I went to school would either stay put or would go to uni elsewhere. It worked :)

Since then, I have found Aberdeen to be a pretty decent place. It's got most of the things I want/need (and I can order the stuff it doesn't have online) and it's a good size. I'm not saying I've got taxi driver style "knowledge" but if someone mentions a place name/street in Aberdeen I usually know where they mean. I get overwhelmed by the sheer size of bigger places.

I get the feeling Aberdeen is on the up. Sure, it's got problems, but I see more good than bad and more hope than despair.

I think people are often far too hard on Aberdeen. I don't really know what people expect from it. For a city stuck in a cold corner of the North of Scotland with a population about the same as Salford or Southampton, I think it's doing alright. The only major sticking point for me about Aberdeen is the insane rent prices, one of the many reasons I now live in Edinburgh but I will definitely return to Aberdeen at some point in life, I still very much consider it my 'home'.

• Upvote 1

I used to be a postman in Bridge of Don; Middletons, Jesmonds, Lee Crescents, and the Ashwoods. I don't recall delivering to an Adam Easy Wishes, though. Before your BOD time, perhaps.

I did the Collistons round once to cover an absence, so I may have delivered to Milner's old house once or twice. Though probably before he was there, too.

Good memories from that time of my life - I loved being a postie. Great exercise, time to myself to walk and listen to music, and my customers in both Bridge of Don and Cults (I was reassigned to Cults halfway through my Royal Mail tenure) were great. One Christmas in Cults, I was given a bottle of whisky, a box of chocolates, and twenty pounds in cash as tips. Just for being paid to deliver their mail. Awesome!

• Upvote 2