aberdeen-music

Why Aberdeen?

Adam Easy Wishes

aberdeen_city1.jpg

Tell me what brought you to Aberdeen, because I am interested and want to know. Particularly all you foreigners.

I was born here, grew up in the 'Shire (Hobbit joke in 3..2..) then headed for the Big Smoke when I turned into an adult. Now I live quietly in suburbia with my girlfriend and no pets and I like it and love Aberdeen. :love:

My now-ex lived up here, and I was in the process of moving out of my Dads but was struggling to find somewhere in Leeds that wasn't sharing with students, so it was a good opportunity to move straight into somewhere where everything was already set up. 3 years later that imploded, and I moved out into a flate sharing with a student funnily enough. It wasn't too bad though because he was rarely around. Now he's moved back to his parents and my missus now rents half the flat with me. when the first relationship ended, I was close to moving back home, but the job market is dire back home, and it seems to be much healthier up here, so I stayed. Then I met Emma, who is also an exiled Englander. Aberdeen is aiiiight.

I was at uni in Leeds, finished uni and i wanted to live with my then housemates, we were all skint and unemployed so they all moved back in with their parents and i didn't fancy it. I had visited Aberdeen a fair few times seeing an old school friend so decided one summer to move here as i had liked it when i visited, got myself a spare bedroom with said friends brother and managed to get myself a decent job. I like Aberdeen and find myself sticking up for it quite a lot.

Was born in Aberdeen and lived in Westhill until I was about 7 (it wasn't posh back then).

Moved up to a fishing village until I was 17 and then came back here for uni (for a course which I thought looked amazing.... turned out to be lies).

Still live in the 1 bedroom flat I bought as a student (has been completely renovated now mind you). Time to buy a house somewhere soon I think. The girlfriends shoes take up most of the place, selfish cow.

I quite fancy living somewhere completely different but I'm fortunate I get ample holidays at work that allow me to do a fuckload of travelling. Happy days.

Plus, I get to go and watch the dandy dons... what's not to like?

In South Aberdeenshire born and raised, in the playground is where I spent most of my days... wait... let me rephrase that...

Grew up in Stonehaven and Catterline but once I was at college, unemployed then at uni I was spending most of my time in and out of Aberdeen for band practices, gigs, drinking etc. The opportunity came to move into a flat while I was at uni so I took it. Spent about 8 years living in Aberdeen itself before buying a house in Banchory. Don't think I ever intended to always stay up here but I always found a good excuse to stay here instead of looking for work and opportunities elsewhere. As I get older I love it more and more and couldn't imagine living many other places in Scotland.

• Upvote 2

I've been here 11 years now, moving to Aberdeen to go to university. Then, I got a job and there was never a reason to move away. I've made loads of friends here, my girlfriend is from Aberdeen and I have no plans to leave in the near future. I realised how much I actually care about Aberdeen when I got passionate about things like Union Terrace Gardens. I feel that this is my home now, and I'm happy with that.

It would be nice if it was warmer though.

• Upvote 1

Grew up in the surrounding sticks, moved into toon to go to uni. Chose Aberdeen Uni because I was only 16 when I finished school (was one of those 'young for your year' types) and wanted my mammy to do my washing at weekends. Glad I chose Aberdeen in the end as it really is a great uni. Did a degree that would be of no use in the oil and gas industry, didn't find much else job-wise that interested me, split up with a quine, fucked off.

Still love the place. Gone over a year since i've been back and this is the longest i've gone without returning for at least a few days.

Grew up in Bridge of Don, moved into the town centre for a few years when i was 18 for various kinds of madness, moved back to the B.O.D about 5 years ago to move in with my ex and because one of bands split up and i was living with the guys so it became awkward. I was working at the beach when i moved back to Bod and cycling became a pain, plus the hours didnt help with my relationship, got myself a 9-5 thinking it would help things, g/f finished with me anyway and booted me out but i decided to pay the extra and just stay in the area, got myself a cat and wee quarter house thing which was costing more than half my monthly wage, luckily one of my old school friends was looking for a place and she also works in Bod so we got a place together and its been happy sailing for a few years now.

I personally love Aberdeen, i love the fact i can walk across the city in a couple of hours and living in bod i can escape from the city life quite easily, a 10 minute walk and your in the middle of nowhere. I live 20 minutes walk from my work which is obviously handy and most of my school mates still live in bod. I do sometimes wish i had maybe left Aberdeen when i was younger, but really just because it would be interesting to see how different things could have ended up, but i see mates in other cities doing the exact same thing they would do if they lived here, and i just dont see the point in leaving behind my family and stuff.

Grew up in Edinburgh, applying to university for medicine only 5 uni's in Scotland do the subject -> Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee, St Andrews and Abedeen. Did not want to go to St Andrew's so applied for the other 4, (tuition fees in England so no way I was applying for them!). Didn't really want to stay in Edinburgh, love Glasgow as a city but PBL course and Dundee rejected me so the only choice left was Aberdeen! They also pay me £1000 a year scholarship so really can't complain... plus I LIKE cold weather so actually suits me fine up here. The sun is evil. I'm so ridiculously pale I got sunburn in Orkney wearing factor 32.

Moved to the east of Scotland in 1997 to do a PhD at St Andrews. Finished that in 2004 and, miraculously, got a job teaching at Aberdeen Uni. Have managed to be here long enough to get made permanent, which rarely ceases to amaze me. I like living here a lot, especially now I live in Torry. No, really. It's great. Much better than living in the East Midlands. I like the easy mix of city things (gigs, cinema etc) and fantastic countryside. I particularly like that the latter is rarely over run with people in the way that nice bits of England tend to be.

I was born in Inverness and after a few years of moving between homes, my parents moved to a settlement approximately 5 or 6 miles south of Aberdeen, as my Dad got a job doing long distance lorry driving for a company based in Aberdeen. I moved to the area at the beginning of Primary 4, so I suspect that was in 1987. I was schooled and university educated in Aberdeen, but like ca_gere, my degree has absolutely no use in the oil and gas industry, so I just pottered about doing random jobs so that I could continue to afford to buy music and basic musical gear to make noise with. By about 2009, the majority of my close friends had left Aberdeen, and the opportunity to relocate to Edinburgh for a while came up. So I did.

I miss Aberdeen tremendously and I still consider it home, if I'm honest. I have very fond memories of circa 2004 - 2009, and they were definitely the best years of my life so far.

That said, I've met a really nice French girl in Edinburgh and once she finishes her PhD, I suspect we'll move away from Edinburgh. Apparently, she's a bit of a prodigy in her field so she'll be running her own laboratory in no time. I expect to be a kept man when this happens. Yes I do. She has openly stated that Aberdeen is a reputable academic institution for her field, so if she remains in academia, then Aberdeen is an option.

Other muted places are Utrecht, Seattle, and one or two in Japan. And honestly? Aberdeen is right up there with them for me.

Born and raised in the city. I've done my fair share of travelling and Aberdeen is up there amongst my favourite cities. I'm planning on moving to Melbourne semi-permanently by the end of this year, but as with last time I left, it'll be gut-wrenching to leave this place behind. I always plan to end up back in Aberdeen when I'm older and its sad to think things may not transpire that way.

Moved here in 2000 after finishing Uni in Stirling. All my family are from Aberdeen so I always considered it home in a strange way even though I had never actually lived here as I was born in England but moved to Kirkcaldy when I was about 7 (the less spoken about that place the better though). I moved here as I got a job after graduating and coincidentally my Dad got a job at the same time, which suited me as I didn't need to think about finding a place for the first instance.

I wouldn't rule out moving away at any point and I'd probably have good opportunities to go abroad with the line of work I'm in now but regardless of where I go I'm certain I'll end up back in Aberdeen. As I mentioned, I've always considered it home and with friends/family/Dons here I'd be keen to come back at some point.

I was born and raised in Aberdeen, moved down to Gateshead to be with my girlfriend, and it made more sense to be here looking for a job, rather than being in Aberdeen looking for a job in both locations.

Funnily on a visit to Newcastle a few years before moving down, I did state that I would easily move down.

I do miss parts of Aberdeen, but Newcastle/Gateshead is not a million miles removed from Aberdeen. The wife hates Aberdeen for some odd reason so trips up are few and far between.

I was born here, and did my undergrad degree at Aberdeen, doing my Honours year in Edinburgh. I then moved to Glasgow to do a postgrad at the Wellcome Trust Centre for Molecular Parasitology. I have a LOT of love for both Glasgow and Edinburgh. Met a guy, finished my Masters' and decided that I didn't want to leave, so stayed and started my PhD. I enjoyed this for a while, and really got stuck in with a lot of schools outreach programmes and teaching, decided that I might want to get involved in this after my PhD.

Anyway, around just over half a year in, and the relationship broke up, badly, and I was involved in a fairly intense study which meant I was having to check for growth and mutations in live trypanosomes at four-hour intervals sometimes for weeks on end. I was constantly exhausted and thoroughly miserable, then I moved in with some seriously, seriously terrible flatmates, and that was the last straw.

It was hard to give up on a study that I was genuinely very excited about, however, for me, it was definitely a wise decision, and I can honestly say I don't have any regrets. Last year was probably the most fun I've had in a while. I'm much healthier and happier, have been volunteering in secondary schools and have applied to get into the PgDE in biology this year, so am currently keeping everything crossed. I've also joined two bands and have had some incredible fun with them, as well as meeting my awesome boyfriend and adopting our incredibly noisy, but lovable, cat. I also have a renewed appreciation for the city and surrounding area and enjoy nothing more than a stroll in Old Aberdeen, the beach at Stonehaven or the countryside out at Ballater. Might move again in the future, but for now, I'm definitely alright with Aberdeen.

[/essay]

Aberdeen Uni. I just read a few prospectuses and thought it sounded like the best one not in Edinburgh or Glasgow (the thought of moving to which was a tad intimidating aged 16 or so). I left after graduating because I wanted to travel and I now wouldn't return, but I did really enjoy my time there.

My family is all from Aberdeen. I usually try to keep this quiet but due to my dad's work I was actually born south of the border and lived there until I was 4 when we came back up north. Lived in danestone for 5 years until we moved to portlethen where I lived until leaving. I had a couple of years of being split between scotland and abroad until I moved to Barcelona permanently 3 years ago. Didn't think of it as permanent at the time but it feels that way now. I really like Aberdeen but I doubt I'll return to live.