aberdeen-music

Rate the last album you listened to out of 10

Captain America

New album you haven't listened to before (not your favourite album of all time basically a thread of 10 out of 10s would be crap).

Johnny Foreigner vs Everything 9/10

I haven't listened to any of Johnny Foreigners stuff since Waited up till it was light. This album is really good though, found it a lot more varied than their previous stuff. Couple of songs didn't quite work for me on first listen, seemed like they might be growers though.

The new album I listened to was First Aid Kit ~ The Lion's Roar.

I've listened to it about 3 times and the impression that I get is that it's a treading water affair. I love the 1st album, but this feels like there are no new ideas and the production smothers most of the songs. Still better than anything on Radio 1 though.

6/10

Dustin O'Halloran - Lumiere 6/10

This has been recommended by several friends, but apart from about three of the compositions, I was left feeling quite disappointed with this record. It's just a lot of meandering piano lines that don't really go anywhere. I may persevere with it, though.

Oh, and fuck the rules! I was listening to Sonic Youth ~ Dirty on the way into work.

It's their grunge rekkid, and in places it doesn't work (perhaps to many one dimensional Kim Gordon numbers). But it has 100%, Sugar Kane (Lee Ranaldo's most melodic guitar work), Swimsuit Issue, Youth Against Fascism and Theresa's Sound World on it.

7/10

Saosin - Self titled - 8/10

I was never a huge Saosin fan until recently, i liked quite a few songs, but never bought an album until i got invoked in a band in a similar vein. Its a great album, a few dodgy songs i get bored of, but a few ill happily put on repeat a few times round, the drummer is fantastic as well, i can usually listen to a band purely for the drummer if he is good enough.

• Upvote 1

Most recent new album would be

Enter Shikari - A Flash Flood Of Colour. It gets 10 out of 10 from me. And is now my new favourite album. It's everything I like about this band rolled in to one solid album. They've taken the best bits from the last two records/bsides/eps and sewn it all together pretty excellently. This band get a lot of hate and as soon as someone sticks on a track and hears some dubstep or drum 'n' bass style synth, they turn it off and label it shite. Which is wrong. IMO.

Oh, and fuck the rules! I was listening to Sonic Youth ~ Dirty on the way into work.

It's their grunge rekkid, and in places it doesn't work (perhaps to many one dimensional Kim Gordon numbers). But it has 100%, Sugar Kane (Lee Ranaldo's most melodic guitar work), Swimsuit Issue, Youth Against Fascism and Theresa's Sound World on it.

7/10

Nowaday's it's far from my favourite and a 7 is probably fair. However I'll always have a soft spot for it as it was the first SY album I really got into. Add Wish Fulfillment to the list of great tracks on it.

Frank Turner ~ The second three years

It's a collection of his singles/b sides etc that didn't make it onto his last two studio albums. There are a bunch of duds on this album however there are some total gems! Sailer boots is one of the most beautiful simple songs I've heard in ages. I bought it as a bside on a single ages ago it's so good.

6/10

Sailer's Boots ~ 10/10

Enter Shikari - A Flash Flood Of Colour. It gets 10 out of 10 from me. And is now my new favourite album. It's everything I like about this band rolled in to one solid album. They've taken the best bits from the last two records/bsides/eps and sewn it all together pretty excellently. This band get a lot of hate and as soon as someone sticks on a track and hears some dubstep or drum 'n' bass style synth, they turn it off and label it shite. Which is wrong. IMO.

Totes didn't know there was a new one. Ta!

Sum 41 - Underclass Hero.

I really like this. Just pretty much Blink 182 (especially the very first riff) with very similar production, but the songs are top, well written, with some rad bits. Skateboards.

Silkworm - Lifestyle

I Spotified it because I liked the sleeve art in the Best Albums thread. It's fucking righteous. Smooth indie-rock, awesome hooks.

9/10

Yes! They have about a thousand albums, and they are all a little bit different. Lifestyle is considered the peak though. Considered by me. I am all critics.

I recently stumbled across Doughboys - Krush. Old 90's post-grunge pop punk played by metalheads in denial. Lots of long hair, and guitars with their DS-1's set to full, so the palm mutes sound like shotgun rounds. Jud jud jud. Sounds a bit like if Husker Du had another guitarist who loves heavy metal gain, but also pop songs. Serious melodies.

7 outta 10.

Sufferinfuck - In Boredom 9/10

Exactly what I was after. I already love Sufferinfuck and this did not disappoint. Captures the sound and intensity of them live well. The only reason it didn't get a 10 is that it wasn't all new material as some of the songs are on the old demo, but now re-recorded and better sounding which is a plus point.

I listened. Stand out tracks for me would be warm smiles..... and constellations. wasn't an instant hit as common dreads was but i'm sure it'll be better with time. It better be. Have been reminded how good common dreads is/was, so i am listening to that now.

I listened. Stand out tracks for me would be warm smiles..... and constellations. wasn't an instant hit as common dreads was but i'm sure it'll be better with time. It better be. Have been reminded how good common dreads is/was, so i am listening to that now.

I thought it was miles ahead of Common Dreads like. Yeah Warm Smiles... is my favourite track on the album. The kick at the start of Ghandi Mate, Ghandi is unbelievable though.