aberdeen-music

Your favourite albums ever

Soda Jerk

Let's stop talking about JakeBassists shagging and shitting habits, and let's talk about music. Tell us all your favourite albums ever. Top 5, 10, 23, 407. However many. You can even blabber about why the record is so fucking bitchin, if you wish.

My top favourites probably changes every month, but right now, they are as follows:

artwork.jpg?m=34f445ab-7481-4877-9c62-14eb73d836e5

ShowImage.aspx?ImageId=Karate-Bed-Is-in-the-Ocean%7C31PaBIxD8LL.jpg

0031895002220.jpg

They-Might-Be-Giants-Lincoln-518701.jpg

va7UpZ0aSNKIrMP.jpg

ShowImage.aspx?ImageId=Silkworm-Lifestyle%7C419u%2B-HnkVL.jpg

1872818557_4e27503fbb.jpg

tumblr_lp9ualIn4m1qebauoo1_500.jpg

ShowImage.aspx?ImageId=Ozma-Rock-and-Roll-Part-Three%7C51n9JHcsFOL.jpg

5605876643_32c80a27fe.jpg

Soda Jerk and I have one in common, which is interesting.

Slint+-+Spiderland.jpg

63438.jpeg?rendered

Even-As-We-Speak-Feral-Pop-Frenzy-288469.jpg

Spacemen-3-Playing-With-Fire-298002.jpg

juliaholte.jpg

alien+lanes.jpg

the-for-carnation.jpg?w=560

That one above is The For Carnation, in case you're wondering.

2050241618_l.jpg

There are probably a bunch more that I should include but that I've forgotten. I only heard one of the above about a month ago ('Tragedy' by Julia Holter) but I'm fairly confident it'll stay there.

• Upvote 1

I started to make a list of favourite ever albums recently but I can't find it. Will go through iTunes right now.

Some I loved when I was young and don't really listen to much anymore, but I still have a lot of love for them and some have only become absolute-cannot-live-withouts in the past year.

'Born On A Pirate Ship' - Barenaked Ladies

'Licensed To Ill' - Beastie Boys

'Grey Will Fade' - Charlotte Hatherley

'Alien Lanes' - Guided By Voices

'Bee Thousand' - Guided By Voices

'It's The Ones Who've Cracked That The Light Shines Through' - Jeffrey Lewis

'The Last Time I Did Acid I Went Insane' - Jeffrey Lewis

'So Alone' - Johnny Thunders

'The Cat And The Cobra' - Les Savy Fav

'3/5' - Les Savy Fav

'Transformer' - Lou Reed

'The Sunset Tree' - The Mountain Goats

'In the Aeroplane Over the Sea' - Neutral Milk Hotel

'New York Dolls' - New York Dolls

'Murder Ballads' - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

'No More Shall We Part' - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

'Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!' - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

'Weirdo Rippers' - No Age

'The Love Below' - Outkast

'Doolittle' - Pixies

'Different Class' - Pulp

'It' - Pulp

'The Raincoats' - The Raincoats

'Sexuality' - Sebastien Tellier

'Sleater-Kinney' - Sleater-Kinney

'The Airing Of Grievances' - Titus Andronicus

'BiRd-BrAinS' - tUnE-yArdS

'w h o k i l l' - tUnE-yArdS

'Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone?' - The Unicorns

'The Unwinding Hours' - The Unwinding Hours

'Wild Flag' - Wild Flag

'Night Club' - The Yummy Fur

'As Heard On Radio Soulwax pt 2' - 2 Many DJ's

Wow... there's a good balance of 'tragically uncool' and 'clichéd' there!

Similarly, mine change all the time. Just now I'd asy my faves are:

220px-Eels-Blues.jpg

Juxtaposed with his book "Things the Grandchildren Should Know", this album is a religious experience. So very, very sad, but also extremely uplifting. E's very raw, straightforward lyrical style works amazingly as he tells the tragic story of his life. A brilliant, funny man.

DeathCabforCutieTransatlanticism.jpg

This is a band I used to dislike, and after I did get into them, this was my least favourite album of their's. I can't really think why. Just pop smaher after pop smasher. Banger in the mouth? Smash hits. The title track is totally guff, but otherwise its just great.

Wilco-BeingThere.jpg

Double albums are usually an album surrounded by pap (see Melacholy... by Smashing Pumpkins) but nae this one. The first disk is pretty Wilco-esque; that country-rock thing with plenty of weird bits. All good. The second disk is a much more "Americana"-country full of lovely slide guitar, washy acoustic strumming and brushes (with the odd banging country rock tune). Check it out.

220px-Pinkerton_cover.jpg

This is an album that will probably never leave my top 10. I've listened to it at least once a month for the past ~8 years. If you've nae heard it, go and listen to it. Its mostly about shagging. For some reason, I love the lyrics:

"…And I don't wanna be an old man anymore

It's been a year or two since I was out on the floor

Shakin' booty, makin' sweet love all the night

It's time I got back to the Good Life

It's time i got back, it's time i got back

And I don't even know how I got off the track

I wanna go back…Yeah!

51zOVh3DrqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Boss, undoubtedly at his best. Beautifully weaved tales of Mid-Western America, the American dream, etc, etc. Each song feels like a film from the way BS succinctly sets the scene in his familiar drawl. Close your eyes and listen to Racing in the Streets.

e7790426u1x.jpg

Fuck yous.

cd-sunny_day_real_estate_diary.jpg

Diary - Sunny Day Real Estate. I got this relativelty recently after coming across them through Spotify trawling. I'd obviously heard of them a lot, but never actually listened to them. This album is just great though. Banging rock tunes ahoy. 'nuff said.

220px-Thedevilandgodareraginginsideme.jpg

Brand New's 3rd album, melodramatically named "The Devil and God are Raging Inside of Me", or just "The Devil and God..." to fans. i can't remember the exact story, but hunners of their pals and loved ones popped their cloggs during the recording of the album, so it was recorded over 18 months in three different locations. You can feel a shift in their musical style and their levels of anger thoughout the album, which is totally disjointed. Doesn't matter though: bloddy marvelous album. Its verging on prog-rock at times! Strange.

Bluealbumcover.jpg

An album about her travels: the people she meets, the fun times, the bad times etc. It makes you want to be cool and dance with Spannish quines on the streets of Barcelona. Its definitely not for everyone though. An acquired taste perhaps.

Anyway. That'll do for now. I'm toatlly great at writing about and explaining music. NOT.

I didn't know people admitted to liking BNL. I love them. Steven Page's solo records are rather lovely too.

I'm not sure we're meant to admit it. I initially wrote "(shut up)" after putting Born On A Pirate Ship on my list, but then I took it out because I REFUSE TO BE ASHAMED! 2012! Woo!

I keep meaning to check out his solo album, am only really familiar with that live covers album he did. I don't have any real desire to listen to BNL now without Page's lovely big operatic voice, but the early albums are still ace.

Oh Eels, I do not listen to you enough anymore! Going to right that wrong this second.

Big yas for Aenima, Either/Or and White Pony. Feiteceira is the finset opening track ever. When those drums kick in, everyone who knows the song will automatically start air drumming.

Good thread. You can't beat music geeks gushing over their favourite rekkids. I shall post a list, it may feature the Smashing Pumpkins.

Hey, stick with a font dude.

here are 10, in no order, presented without context:

Jimmy Eat World - Clarity

Weezer - Blue Album

Far - Water & Solutions

Hopesfall - The Satellite Years

Broken Hearts are Blue - The Truth about Love

Kanye West - The College Dropout

Lagwagon - Let's Talk about Feelings

Ed Gein - It's a Shame...

Mates of State - Team Boo

Poison the Well - The Opposite of December

I could easily make a top 5 of instrumental/acoustic/metal/rock/prog and then subdivide it even further. So difficult to draw it all together. Will give it a shot though and try and cover as much musical ground as possible. I go through phases of playing albums non stop but these are the ones I can always go back to and enjoy. Also purposefully avoiding having more than 1 album from the same band in the list

Dillinger_Escape_Plan_%27Ire_Works%27_album_cover.jpg

Just edges it as my fave DEP album. So many different styles and even two pop songs thrown in and they are all ace. Still the best live band on the planet too in my opinion.

220px-Incubus_-_Morning_View.jpg

I was a bit late getting into Incubus but immediately loved this album in particular.

Between_the_Buried_and_Me-Alaska.jpg

Just trumps Colors due to Selkies.

220px-Sikth_deathofadeadday.jpg

Another close call but marginally pips the first album.

phantasia_lite.jpg

Infinite Mirror is one of my favourite instrumental tracks ever and the whole album is great. Shame everything they have released since then has been totally different.

ltc_stormchaser.JPG

About the only melodeath album I listen to after being crazy about the genre for a while. The lyrics in particular the Laura Nichol wrote are brilliant. I don't think the band even played a single show outside of USA so maybe they will make a glorious comeback after they are done with their melodic punk band.

You%20Come%20Before%20You.jpg

If I had to pick my favourite post hardcore release ever it would be No Wings to Speak of by Hopesfall here but alas it is an EP! This probably just about top of the pile as far as albums go.

lateralus_cover.jpg

A popular choice it seems. In the early days of google typing in my name would bring up Maynard James Keenan. Boring anecdotes ftw.

rcb6.jpg

I can listen to Frozen on repeat for hours.

Can't possibly fix it at 10.... so here are some honorable mentions that I can't choose between.

Meshuggah-Chaosphere_cover.jpg

a670b4ea86785ad3eb3e27d7aa15179e.jpg

1207332527_1.jpg

515ATK66Z4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

242wols.jpg

61e7J3yIr-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51LWhRlyxLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

blottedsci_themachina.jpg

russian-circles-geneva-cover-art-31413.jpeg

That should just about do it. The list could have been far bigger though.

that Scale the Summit album is brilliant. that 'delay' part that is just two guitars playing a 16th note apart melts my head.

Yeah I still prefer it to The Collective. didn't like that one when it came out but it's growing on me. Chris Letchford and Tosin Abasi were the main reasons I got an 8 string... surprisingly I was nowhere near as good as either of them. Scale the Summit have all their stuff tabbed for 7's and Letchford has a theory/excercise book out I keep meaning to buy but the cost of importing from the US is :eek: Hopefully they will actually get over to the UK soon!

I spent ages doing my list so wrote it before I saw yours being posted and was surprised we both had Poison The Well and Hopesfall there... even if it was different albums.

Minutemen - "Double Nickels on the Dime"

43 songs, 75 minutes. In my opinion, a completely faultless record. Every song is unique. It's just one guitar, one bass and drums, but MAN were these guys creative. Their first couple of albums and EPs have a more straight-forward (but still inventive) punk sound, but this album is light-years ahead of anything else released at the time. I like hyperbole.

There is something for everyone on this album, I reckon. It opens up with a couple of relatively slow, but mildly technical jams... then suddenly the third song is about twice as fast, with a tremendous swing to it; then the fourth song is a darkly atmospheric piece on the guitar... then, oh you get the idea.

Oh yeah, it's lyrically perfect as well. Well, it's three dudes in their mid 20s shouting about far-left issues around the world... maybe a bit naive, but they had a lot of soul and fire.

They were one of the very first bands to popularise the "D.I.Y." (for lack of a better term... I'm tired!) way of working within music. I love everything about these guys. They showed that you could be a punk rock band without sounding like The Ramones or the Sex Pistols, and more importantly for everyone to be far more open minded about music. I might add more to this later.

Still get chills watching this. R.I.P. D. Boon.

...I'm never going to be a music journalist, and the world is a better place for that.

• Upvote 1

Kirsten, I normally like your input around here but I'd rather read a book of JakeBassist poo chat than see one more list with the albums listed before the artist. It just is not right.

(ftr since it seems to be a hot topic I haven't noticed Jake make any bowel related posts in the last week)

As for favourite records of all time, it's something I used to enjoy talking about but find much harder nowadays. I always tended to go for albums which have been long time favourites, those I was assured I would never tire of and could go back to time and time again while at thinking they had some extra quality over others I may listen to a lot. However after most of my life listening to primarily indie and rock albums the last couple of years have seen a bulk of my listening taken up by Pop, Techno and Hip Hop. So after exploring these genres I've found many albums which I rate as great albums but haven't had the lengthy attachment to in the same way as some others. It all makes it a bit hard to compare and rank them. Anyway I'm rambling somewhat.

Here are some albums which are long established favourites and will likely always be near a top of any list I'm forced to make.

220px-Radiohead.kida.albumart.jpg

220px-Radiohead.okcomputer.albumart.jpg

220px-PetSoundsCover.jpg

220px-SonicYouthDaydreamNationalbumcover.jpg

51SuJilGhbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And here are a few which have charmed me greatly in recent times and may or may not go on to reach the status of those above in my mind.

220px-NasIllmatic.jpg

220px-Tangled_Up.jpg

this-bliss.jpg

220px-Madvillainy_cover.png

AqueminiOutKast.jpg

these are the covers of records i listened to frequently during phases of my life, presented in roughly the order i listened to them.

51aLhjEffeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg51ycLXtgGTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

416VZEBA00L._SL500_AA300_.jpg51j%2B9HaNTjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg517zfQQ-U7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg4149Q%2BE0TzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg41IX-SQ-xVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg9171-the-cairo-gang.jpg

61NTy28iyrL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

(although i'm starting to prefer 51HhiF%2BibPL._SL500_AA280_.jpg)

51rluFuceqL._SL500_AA280_.jpg (or the second one), 61igNjEx6zL._SL500_AA280_.jpg41v0bCl8FKL._SL500_AA280_.jpg51PTpxpttvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg517no8GBL6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg512mehSVRZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg41%2BXiAqh0dL._SL500_AA300_.jpg.

although i don't listen to these records as much as i did, i'm nowhere near sick of any of them yet. does that mean they're my favourites images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTbBWTIQ5l7QK9oWzVr8sQNfSirCxCiLuBxIGK4P1M2YgB6fLD

Hrm. Some of these are obvious choices, but my favourite Sleater-Kinney album keeps changing. One week I'll listen to 'Dig Me Out' and be all "Oh, this is waaaay better than 'The Hot Rock'," but then I'll listen to 'The Hot Rock' and think the same but vice versa. So, just assume that the below includes all of the Sleater-Kinney albums but I'm only going to include a photo for the one that is, in my mind, the most consistently ace.

220px-Sleater-Kinney_The_Woods.jpg100Broken.jpgiggy_pop_raw_power.jpg220px-Weezer_-_Blue_Album.jpgmazzy%2Bstar%2B-%2BSo%2BTonight%2BThat%2BI%2BMight%2BSee.jpg220px-Theres_Nothing_Wrong_With_Love.jpg220px-Pavement_Crooked_Rain.jpg220px-Deftones_-_Around_the_Fur.jpg