aberdeen-music

Shite banter threads

Soda Jerk

Thing is, hardly anyone talks about music on here any more so it's not really surprising that the inane "banter" is running riot like an endless deluge of shite from JakeBassist's lower bowel during a bout of IBS.

There are many others on here that are part of the larger problem and don't seem to realise why.

• Upvote 3

I agree absolutely and brought this up with the other mods last night. We're all in agreement that there needs to be a level of balance between allowing the members to chat freely and openly, and keeping the discussions on topic. However this past week or so that balance has gone too much in one direction and it needs to calm down, we're almost at sexytunk levels of inane boring banter which is no fun for anyone to read other than those who are taking part in it. We'll be keeping a close eye on it.

• Upvote 2

Thing is, hardly anyone talks about music on here any more so it's not really surprising that the inane "banter" is running riot like an endless deluge of shite from JakeBassist's lower bowel during a bout of IBS.

There are many others on here that are part of the larger problem and don't seem to realise why.

Thats exactly it, the obvious people will get most of the blame whilst others who spout as much pish, just in a different manor will be allowed to carry on.

Spoken for truth.

I'm certainly guilty of talking pish on the "General Discussion" forum, but I am disappointed by the levels hyperbole and the vast number of "OMG" responses for drivel like the re-release of the Wispa (sic) and the latest Transformers movie ... "OMG I an sooooooo going to the shop, then I'm sooooooo going to the cinema" juxtaposed by the tumbleweed for questions like "How do I get <tone> on my Fender Hotrod?"

Just saying....

Pet hates thread needs deleting. It's just whatever has annoyed you within the last five minutes and gets far too much use. Need more interesting topics to get new threads going (i'm not sure what though).

EDIT: New music you're listening too thread? I guess that'll be a bit like the spotify one was but it would be good for finding new stuff.

I think there's a place for banter and in-jokes, but not when it pollutes a perfectly good thread. It's too easy for a good conversation to get derailed into 'your mum', no, your mum' 'haha lol' type pish.

It's a bit of a balancing act, but I like to think that this site has always had a good mix of humour, piss-taking and also some damn good information, networking and interaction. Maybe the balance has tipped slightly of late. And if people are being put off by recent threads, then that needs to be looked at.

We're not about to make the site all serious by any means, but maybe we just need to get back to that balance again.

• Upvote 3

I'm all for closing down any thread that's not music related. I can just about stomach some folks posts if they're talking about music. There's nothing wrong with the odd bit of fun and i'm as guilty as anyone else of messing about but there should be more stringent control of what's on this website and i'm fed up of the lack of actual music discussion.

• Upvote 1

But a thread like that would be in the music discussion forum and not the general discussion forum. I always thought the purpose of a gen chat area on a forum was to keep this "banter" out of the main area, whatever it may be. The fact that the forums which are supposedly the main focus of the site are quieter than the general discussion forums is a different issue than that of the content of the general discussion.

edit - referring to capt. amercia's idea at the start there.

But a thread like that would be in the music discussion forum and not the general discussion forum. I always thought the purpose of a gen chat area on a forum was to keep this "banter" out of the main area, whatever it may be. The fact that the forums which are supposedly the main focus of the site are quieter than the general discussion forums is a different issue than that of the content of the general discussion.

edit - referring to capt. amercia's idea at the start there.

There are people that only come on to post in Pet Hates/Ace Ic though. It's not helping the site while they're both up it's more just like random chat than anything in there. Take them away and hopefully those people will start to post in other threads. More interesting threads that might create some actual discussion.

Bring back Stripey also, he was actually very good at music discussion.

I don't really see the problem with the pet hate and ace-ic threads. I'll admit to them being two of my most used. I think they're good for gathering a lot of chat that doesn't really merit it's own thread. And I still don't see any link between a lot of posts in pet hates and a low amount of music discussion.

You brought it up. And that's what people seem to be missing. I'm only replying to things. If you're going to make a Frankenstein's monster, don't get all pissy when he tumbles through a building and steps on a puppy.

Problem is you reply to everything. I think you could be a good poster but you just post so much inane stuff that when you do post something interesting it's lost under the mountain of nonsense.

You brought it up. And that's what people seem to be missing. I'm only replying to things. If you're going to make a Frankenstein's monster, don't get all pissy when he tumbles through a building and steps on a puppy.

Generally speaking, if what you write is crap I have a great filter for it but this slipped through. Sorry, must try harder. It doesn't matter if you're the original poster or a mere reactionary participant. You choose to write stuff, you choose to submit it. We created you, did we? You have no free will? Society made you do it? No. You made you do it. This sort of abdication of personal responsibility really pisses me off, whether genuine or employed as a humorous anecdote.

How about not reading the threads you aren't interested in? Don't want to know what's been annoying Soda Jerk today? Don't read Pet Hates. Job done. Want to talk about music? Start a thread or contribute to another one. There's a bunch of new ones sprung up over the last couple of days and that's promising - hopefully they can keep up the momentum they're beginning to generate.

I joined this forum because I wanted to be in a band and this seemed like a good place to make that happen not because I like talking about music. I find talking about music very difficult because in the end a lot of it comes down to "I like this", "I think that is shit/good". Of course you can go into analysis of WHY you hold such an opinion but I prefer to enjoy what I enjoy than to start thinking about it too much. People will only ever talk about what interests them and there's not much you can do to force them to talk about anything else.

If the general discussion bits and pieces didn't exist I probably wouldn't have bothered sticking around here which would have been a shame (for me) as I've made some actual friends in the last couple of years as a direct result of being part of this place when previously I didn't know anyone in Aberdeen.

To sum up: Aberdeen-Music - it's ok, really.

• Upvote 5

All posts on this website could very easily be considered "pish" - it's all relative to an individual's interests.

Can't say I'm overly bothered with posts about Slutbags' annoying flatmate or that Soda Jerk is angry at anything/anyone this week/day.

Is there still an ignore/block function!? (apologies if this has been mentioned before)

All posts on this website could very easily be considered "pish" - it's all relative to an individual's interests.

Can't say I'm overly bothered with posts about Slutbags' annoying flatmate or that Soda Jerk is angry at anything/anyone this week/day.

Is there still an ignore/block function!? (apologies if this has been mentioned before)

You can 'ignore' if you click on their avatar and it pops up the info box. I've not tried it, I imagine it's the same though.

There's decent off-topic conversation in most threads, and then there's the pages and pages of idle chatter where Jakebassist is trying to leap inside Little Green. I think there's a huge difference between the two. The latter, for me, is the issue. Pet hates which turn into conversation are all well and good, stuff like "aw yeah, buses are well fucking pish aye. This one time, on the bus..." or whatever; or the polar opposite in the Ace-ic thread. Just certain topics get a bit too graphic and stupid, and the pointless chatter goes on for days.

Your as bad tho man, you end up in most threads posting some crap, 90% of the time i find it funny enough to be honest, but you post equally as much pish as jake, just in a different manor. Your not the only one either, and im not exactly blameless at times either, but to blame all the recent shit chat on just Jake is a bit on the harsh side, even if he has been on a bit of a spamfest lately.

Your as bad tho man, you end up in most threads posting some crap, 90% of the time i find it funny enough to be honest, but you post equally as much pish as jake, just in a different manor. Your not the only one either, and im not exactly blameless at times either, but to blame all the recent shit chat on just Jake is a bit on the harsh side, even if he has been on a bit of a spamfest lately.