aberdeen-music

I think someone just tried to burgle my flat!

Paranoid Android

Only £550 for a one bed? Can't be that nice a place?

Last thing I was expecting was snobbery about my flat :p I'm just a student sharing with my gf... not like I could afford an uber swanky pad! It's fine. Nice clean and neutral decor unlike quite a few places I saw in Rosemount for the same price it's just a bit small. Our kitchen and bathroom are tiny. I'm not sure you could fit 2 people into either comfortably. Still best we saw for that price. Saw quite a few places around the same price that were basically just studio flats where they had split the living room in half to add a bedroom so as a result every room was small. At least our living room is a half decent size here.

Last thing I was expecting was snobbery about my flat :p I'm just a student sharing with my gf... not like I could afford an uber swanky pad! It's fine. Nice clean and neutral decor unlike quite a few places I saw in Rosemount for the same price it's just a bit small. Our kitchen and bathroom are tiny. I'm not sure you could fit 2 people into either comfortably. Still best we saw for that price. Saw quite a few places around the same price that were basically just studio flats where they had split the living room in half to add a bedroom so as a result every room was small. At least our living room is a half decent size here.

I think you brought it on yourself after calling it 'one of the most sought after and expensive places in Aberdeen'.

A) Pretty poor that the thought of paying for one phone call has put you off doing what you really should do.

B) You're wrong anyway - 0800 555 111

http://www.crimestoppers-uk.org/

I really doubt he had anything to sell. He was a state. I said the phone number as a joke, I've phoned them before for other stuff.

Did you know that when SSPCA are closed you have to phone the police? It feels fucking weird phoning Grampian Police to tell them there's a stray dog running across Lang Stracht.

We're on our 3rd set of Junkies now, with a stop off at a couple of crazies in between. The second dose of junkie wasn't too bad, because everyone had grown up.

But when the first junkies moved in we were mostly kids. Some older some younger, and it was stupid of the council to move blatant junkies in to a block of flats where there were kids running about. I mean, I kicked a dirty needle in the garden. If I were any more naive I might have tried to pick it up.

Then everyone grew up, second set of junkies moved in. All the kids could now just tell them to fuck off.

Now there's a young family in the block and even more junkies and it's just ridiculous.

Saw quite a few places around the same price that were basically just studio flats where they had split the living room in half to add a bedroom so as a result every room was small. At least our living room is a half decent size here.

When I was looking for a flat two years ago every second place I viewed was like this, the sad thing is I think people just go for these in desparation due to them being slightly cheaper than the alternative.

I think you brought it on yourself after calling it 'one of the most sought after and expensive places in Aberdeen'.

Didn't mean it in a 'look where I live' kind of way, was more trying to be a commentary on the bizarre policy of putting people with a much greater chance of criminality in an area like this (that's not prejudice- it's a fact that substance abusers commit more crime). Not only are the council paying much more than social housing would cost elsewhere in the city, they are also disrupting all the neighbours and they have even robbed things from our landlords shed several times

That is not to say we should have deprived areas where we throw all the substance abusers and recovering drug abusers together and let them fight it out amongst themselves, but surely someone must have realised that putting them in Rosemount probably wasn't a good idea. If you want a place where lots of homes are unoccupied during the day and crimes yield enough revenue to fund a drug habit look no further.

I'm not saying that as some middle class snob afraid of poor people ruining my street (i lived in most of the crappy council estates in Edinburgh and that is not something my parents did through choice) but as someone who has lived through having noisy disruptive drug addled neighbours and expected things to be a bit better here, especially given the price of renting property!

I just hate the welfare state in it's current form. Partly through daft ideas like that, it rewards lazy scroungers who have never worked a day in their lives and penalises people who are having genuine difficulties with health or finding employment. Just today I saw a hard working single mother living in a shitty dilapidated house barely fit for living in while some lazy unemployed people live above me and not only get a house in Rosemount with a market value of £6000+ per year on rent (when a council house elsewhere costs half that, possibly less), several thousand pounds worth of methadone a year, benefits and also steal from the neighbours to fund additional drugs on top of what the state provides them to stop them commiting crime to fund a heroin addiction. Where's the justice in that?

Its Aberdeen, £550 is about as cheap as a one bedroom flat gets.

Check ASPC. I found loads ranging from £400-£500. Those are private market figures of course, a 1 bed council flat would be half that. Which is kind of my point.... people can use housing benefits to get very expensive houses when the council equivalent is very cheap. They will have waiting lists I'd imagine (not being around here, don't know for certain) but still no real reason to keep people in houses at market rate for a long time if a cheaper equivalent can be found at much less cost to the welfare state

Didn't mean it in a 'look where I live' kind of way, was more trying to be a commentary on the bizarre policy of putting people with a much greater chance of criminality in an area like this (that's not prejudice- it's a fact that substance abusers commit more crime). Not only are the council paying much more than social housing would cost elsewhere in the city, they are also disrupting all the neighbours and they have even robbed things from our landlords shed several times

That is not to say we should have deprived areas where we throw all the substance abusers and recovering drug abusers together and let them fight it out BLAH BLAH BLAH MMMM CAVIAR

• Upvote 4