aberdeen-music

I think someone just tried to burgle my flat!

Paranoid Android

I get where you're coming from. But I think my dad wasn't too flush either at the time and his argument was "What if I didn't own my flat? You'd be fixing it anyway, now fuck off and get it done. Because if we can't sell our flat due to a shite door and junkie neighbours remember you HAVE to buy it back."

I don't think they want to sell it anymore, but the first part of the argument still stands.

They'd be paying for it because they would be the majority landlord. If there are an equal amount or more private properties in a block, then they expect owners to help maintain the block they live in, which is quite right really. If your folks owned a flat in a 100% private block, then they'd probably be getting billed for maintenance work more often. As with the Council, alot of bills go unclaimed because private owners have told the Council to fuck off, but the Council have gone ahead with the repair anyway due to how severe it is. With alot of private blocks, it seems that if you don't pay up, then fuck all gets done.

I get where you're coming from. But I think my dad wasn't too flush either at the time and his argument was "What if I didn't own my flat? You'd be fixing it anyway, now fuck off and get it done. Because if we can't sell our flat due to a shite door and junkie neighbours remember you HAVE to buy it back."

I don't think they want to sell it anymore, but the first part of the argument still stands.

If he didn't own it, he'd perhaps be renting it off the council who as landlord would be liable for any repairs. Why expect to acquire the benefits associated with owning a property if you're not prepared to take on the liability for the upkeep of it?

I'm pretty sure at the time it was 2/6 owned the flat. So there were less private properties.

In which case the council (as owner of 4 out of 6 properties) should be liable for 4/6ths of the cost (that's the same as 2/3rds), with the private owners taking responsibility for their share of the outsanding third.

What's not fair about that?

If damage is being done to the communal area's by people the council are responsible for then why the hell should Jakes parents pay? If the council are unhappy about paying for new doors they should kick the people out the flat. If the damage was just wear and tear then yes Jakes folks should pay.

That's different. If I owned a property in a block of six flats and the guy from flat 2 broke the door through just being an angry twat then I would expect him (or his landlord) to foot the bill in full.

Well that's what happened. The junkies and their junkie friends would boot in the door as it seems no one cuts keys for junkies. Also, dealers and folk wanting money would kick in the door. So it is the landlord of the flat responsible that should have to pay.

If I broke the door I'd pay, no problem. But Milner's right.

That's different. If I owned a property in a block of six flats and the guy from flat 2 broke the door through just being an angry twat then I would expect him (or his landlord) to foot the bill in full.

Let me refresh you

We have this in our flats and due to junkies/kids etc it gets booted open at least once every couple of months. 

Some folk are quick to jump down the throats of certain posters :)

If damage is being done to the communal area's by people the council are responsible for then why the hell should Jakes parents pay? If the council are unhappy about paying for new doors they should kick the people out the flat. If the damage was just wear and tear then yes Jakes folks should pay.

That's right, but it would need to have been reported to the police as soon as it happened, with a reference number, otherwise there's no case, and it's one word against another (unless the junkie admitted to it). If the police are aware of it, the ASBIT folk will fix it and claim it back from the guilty party (if one has been identified). Otherwise, the council will fix it and send a bill to all y'all.

Srsly though. If your folks are planning on staying there long term, or even selling it, then paying your share for one of the crime prevention doors is a wise investment. They have a slab of iron sandwiched between the wood, and like 6 synchronised locks. Not even The Hulk could break in. If you put one on a bomb shelter, and you got bombed, your shelter would be in tatters and you would probably be dead, but the door would be fine.

Let me refresh you

We have this in our flats and due to junkies/kids etc it gets booted open at least once every couple of months. 

Some folk are quick to jump down the throats of certain posters :)

At no point does it state the junkies and/or kids are tenants of the block though, does it? That's the key to the whole argument.

At no point does it state the junkies and/or kids are tenants of the block though, does it? That's the key to the whole argument.

Surely this was enough of an indication?

Someone who doesn't live here anymore started an argument with one of the old junkies once, whilst a little drunk. Got kicked the shit out of for his troubles, when had every right to tell them to fuck off.

My mum went down to them with a baseball bat once. Brilliantly funny. She's little over 5 foot.

Like i say just waiting to jump down his throat, its cool tho, i know Jake doesnt care a jot and i just find it amusing, carry on :)

If the people doing it even had connections with the tennants (i.e. junkie mates, dealers looking for money) then they'd pay.

If, when I had my own flat, one of my mates did damage to the communal area, I'd go off my head because I know it'd be my duty to pay it.

It wasn't me, but it was due to me that someone that did damage was in the position to do the damage.

Oh and Soda Jerk, police were round for junkies all of the time.

Srsly though. If your folks are planning on staying there long term, or even selling it, then paying your share for one of the crime prevention doors is a wise investment. They have a slab of iron sandwiched between the wood, and like 6 synchronised locks. Not even The Hulk could break in. If you put one on a bomb shelter, and you got bombed, your shelter would be in tatters and you would probably be dead, but the door would be fine.

And the junkies will love it because the police can't kick them down. Sounds like a win win to me!

A flat downstairs from me had their window smashed and things stolen over the weekend. Needless to say the suspects are the benefit scrounging methodone dependent chavs upstairs. Me = very surprised. I was so shocked to find that in one of the most sought after and expensive places to live in Aberdeen where I pay £550 a month for a single bedroom flat, I would have neighbours even worse than when I grew up on a dodgy council estate in Edinburgh. That's Aberdeen City Council for you.

A flat downstairs from me had their window smashed and things stolen over the weekend. Needless to say the suspects are the benefit scrounging methodone dependent chavs upstairs. Me = very surprised. I was so shocked to find that in one of the most sought after and expensive places to live in Aberdeen where I pay £550 a month for a single bedroom flat, I would have neighbours even worse than when I grew up on a dodgy council estate in Edinburgh. That's Aberdeen City Council for you.

Only £550 for a one bed? Can't be that nice a place?