aberdeen-music

The Mighty Riffs Thread

Woodsinho

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Having one of my infrequent-but-insatiable RIFF binges. Could one of you kind afficianados recommend me a record or two that is jam packed with RIFFS! Fuckload of good songs in here but I don't wanna end up buying albums that are balls with the exception of one epic tune.

Also, if you have any good shoegaze recommendations then one or two albums would be nice. Have never really given the genre much time but would like to dip my toes in the water.

xx

Having one of my infrequent-but-insatiable RIFF binges. Could one of you kind afficianados recommend me a record or two that is jam packed with RIFFS! Fuckload of good songs in here but I don't wanna end up buying albums that are balls with the exception of one epic tune.

Also, if you have any good shoegaze recommendations then one or two albums would be nice. Have never really given the genre much time but would like to dip my toes in the water.

xx

The post above yours. Sleeps - Dopesmoker. No problem with other tunes being balls, as its one song thats 70 minutes long. And it really is a trance inducing riff.

xx

Ride - Nowhere

Drop Nineteens - Delaware

Dead Meadows - Dead Meadows (stoner shoegaze with awesome riffs)

Spacemen 3 - Playing with fire

MBV - Isn't anything

Monster Magnet - Powertrip or Dopes to Inifinity

• Upvote 1

xx

What kind of riffs are you looking for?

This kind:

http://stressedsumorecords.bandcamp.com/album/medium-bastard?

Or this kind:

http://redfang.bandcamp.com?

Or another kind?

I guess what I'm saying here is those albums are albums that I like and there are riffs.

What kind of riffs are you looking for?

This kind:

http://stressedsumorecords.bandcamp.com/album/medium-bastard?

Or this kind:

http://redfang.bandcamp.com?

Or another kind?

I guess what I'm saying here is those albums are albums that I like and there are riffs.

Both. Cracking. I'd lean more to the stonery Red Fang just now, but I love the You Slut! stuff too.

xx

xx

Brian Jonestown Massacre - Methadrone. 60's tinged psychedelic shoegaze goodness.

Hammock - Raising Your Voice...Trying to stop an echo. Probably more post-rock than shoegaze but some lovely arrangements on that album.

Slowdive - Just For A Day. People seem to mention their second album Souvlaki more but Just for a day is lush guitar pop heaven.

Cocteau Twins- Blue Bell Knoll - Maybe not really shoegaze as such but you can't deny their influence on it all. Lots of effects, ethereal vocals and cracking songs all round.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...