aberdeen-music

Online Music Stores

Captain America

What ones do you use? Any you wouldn't recommend?

I'm thinking about getting some new gear this year so would like to hear stories of what everyone else uses.

I've ordered from GAK a few times and it's usually pretty good. Been a massive delay on my current order though and the communication from them has been pretty dreadful.

I'm sure I've mentioned it to you before, but I can't speak highly enough of Guitar Guitar for online stuff. Quick delivery and very courteous (never had any issues, but they find time to give you a little phone call to tell you your shit's been dispatched, so I imagine they'd be very easy to deal with).

GAK have a lot of stuff on their website that they dont actually have in stock... thats why they are slow... avoid ...

Guitar Guitar are brilliant - highly reccomended, and also Thomann who are what you expect from Germans... highly efficient ! also agree about Studio Spares... their catalogue is a thing of enormous beauty !

Guitar Guitar, couldn't recommend them enough, I buy everything usually from them, outstanding service from the online part.

I tried to get my hands on a limited edition Slash AFD but couldn't find one, missed the boat on an order. However when I gave my sob story to Rich who is the online manager, he got in touch with his Marshall rep and got one specially to me within a week from their own rep stock.

Even the stores give the best service. Glasgow in particular, they give great deals and afterservice if you have any problems. Their repair dept is top notch and they also deal direct with the custom shops of Suhr and PRS, Bogner, Mesa etc etc to get anything you want, and keep you up to date on every step.

Their delivery can be a bit of a pain at times. They use DPD who have been known to re-route packages to London, Birmingham instead of aberdeen, also missing saturday deliveries.

• Upvote 1

Their delivery can be a bit of a pain at times. They use DPD who have been known to re-route packages to London, Birmingham instead of aberdeen, also missing saturday deliveries.

I'm sitting watching my delivery at the moment, it was last tracked in Birmingham after being posted from Glasgow. Mental.

I've dealt with loads over the years. I won't publicly shame the bad ones though.

Thomann (in Germany)

Great and reliable. Can often have much lower prices than most other retailers. However, their prices on several things are sometimes ridiculously higher, which I can't understand. Their carriers and delivery times vary from 4-10 days depending on if your item is in stock. I've had to return a faulty Portico 5012 preamp. They arranged pickup the following day and once it was in Germany they dispatched my replacement promptly - 5 day turnaround.

Dolphin Music (Liverpool)

Next Day Delivery if you phone your order in before 3.00pm (might be 2.00pm now). Phoning enables you to check if your item really is in stock (I don't trust website stock - except Thomman's). Had to return a faulty UAD-1 card several years ago. Due to it being the last UAD-1 card they had at the time UAD-2 was coming out, they replaced my UAD-1 with a UAD-2 solo. I got plugin vouchers for registering the dud UAD-1 (which I handed back) and then got bonus vouchers for upgrading to UAD-2 with the replacement. This equalled about £500 worth of plugins as a perk of having a dud card. Just thought I'd gloat.

:woohoo:

BM

• Upvote 1

Guest davetherave

Guitar Guitar have mostly been very good with the exception of a delivery arranged for a saturday that didnt show, but I think it was the courier companies fault? GG were very helpful on the phone and the guitar was at my work by Tuesday, unfortunately it had a snapped headstock, a refund was arranged very quickly!

Thomann have never let me down, but watch out for european 2 pin AC adaptors being supplied with FX, etc!

Slightly Off topic - the new Imported Instruments store in the academy is great, got a good deal on a candy red Telecaster there before xmas.

You probably should publicly shame the bad ones, to be fair...stops others receiving poor service without warning.

To be honest Adam, my bad experiences have really been on eBay. With private sellers as opposed to companies. My dealings with eBay companies have been great.

Privately, I bought an SE Reflexion Filter which stooped dreadfully (dispute) and a Dbx 160x which I had to fix the LEDS on (pissed me right off).

On the flip side on eBay. Have a wee word/inquiry with US sellers who may be prepared to be discretionary regarding the documented price of your items. I once scored an API 2500 for £1550 (all in) when the street price here is £2500. I hope you can read between the lines here.

:cool:

BM