aberdeen-music

Buzz Feiten Tuning System

Frostilicus

Well Guitarist did a review on the Buzz Feiten system and they rated it very highly indeed. I've never tried it but I would love to give it a shot. I guess if you could find a new washburn you could hear it. I know the Idol has it, as again Guitarist reviewed this model and commented a lot on the great Intonation. I guess getting it retro fitted would have to be a last resort as there is a lot having your gutiar set up properly can do. I was considering it with my PRS but a few snips of some springs, turns of some screws and having the nut filed and I have nearly perfect intonation...I think I'd have to hear it to believe it.

i really want to hear more about it and how it works, i didnt really find much on how it actually works on the net when i had a look a while ago

guitar buyer should be doing an article on it sometime soon, which should be a good read and hopefully enlighten me

if you are interested in the idea of the buzz feiten system, it might be an idea to have a look at the earvana compensated nut, i dont think it is quite as involved and perfect as buzz feiten, but is still a very good system and helps get everything in tune better then before, i know a few people with it fitted to guitars and they like it

David

I was just reading how the do it on the site. Pretty easy two step process...1. New shelf nut which is closer to first fret to prevent sharpness at first 3 frets 2. Intonate using a Korg DT-7 tuner with special offset forumlas. It almost sounds too good to be true...I am tempted as whilst my 1st position E's sound good sometimes me D's and C's suffer...<ponders>

One thing about the nut. On US made PRS guitars the nut is already set slightly toward the first fret anyway, I don't know if any other manufacturers do this, but I wonder if that negates the need for a new nut on one of their guitars?

i thought it was a bit more involved than the nut being slightly moved... which is why i dont really know much more on the technical aspects of it, as if that did indeed give better tuning... why would something so simple not be a standard across all guitars?

the earvana nut works in a similar way, but over single strings, so they look kinda like the intonation set at the bridge, but at th enut as well (but not quite as much)

David

http://www.buzzfeiten.com

Anyone used this at all' date=' or heard of it being used??

Wondering what peoples thoughts are on it, intonation being the bane of my life![/quote']

I'll sort your intonation for you next gig. Piece of piss.

One flaw with this system; it claims to rid you of the evils of an even-tempered scale but how can it do that without moving the actual frets themselves.

i thought it was a bit more involved than the nut being slightly moved...

It is, the real trick lies in tuning the open strings slightly off using the super-wizzo patented and copyrighted tuner setting. To tell you the truth I'm not sure the nut is entirely necessary, maybe for the settings on the tuner as it is but I don't see why you couldn't apply the same principles with a standard nut. Except of course you wouldn't really have anything to sell then.

Well apprently the nut stops sharpness at first 3 frets but if your nut is cut low enough then this shouldn't happen, maybe it starts to happen though when you use the funny tunings...who knows...I'd really like to try a guitar with it now though. I just checked my guitar and it's only fractionally sharp at the 1st with a low nut/action...mmmm good set up!

Well apprently the nut stops sharpness at first 3 frets but if your nut is cut low enough then this shouldn't happen' date=' maybe it starts to happen though when you use the funny tunings...who knows...I'd really like to try a guitar with it now though. I just checked my guitar and it's only fractionally sharp at the 1st with a low nut/action...mmmm good set up![/quote']

So if you've got a low nut you'd basically be paying $140 for a new nut and setup, then probably have to buy the super-dooper fancy-pantsy tuner cos standard tuners won't work anymore.

Smells suspicious to me.

Also, if you have two or more guitars in you're band you'd probably have to do them all so they don't sound too odd played together. Those little differences when notes are really close together but not quite can throw up some horrific phasing effects.

Nah - standard tuners work fine with it once its intonated, its just instead of having the 12th fret natural and harmonic in tune you make the harmonic slightly sharp or flat depending on the string - but we are talking millicents here hence the need for the fancy Korg tuners, once intonated it behaves the same as any other guitar.

I'll take you up on that offer Ian, need to discuss something else too, but i'll give you a call about that!

Also' date=' if you have two or more guitars in you're band you'd probably have to do them all so they don't sound too odd played together. Those little differences when notes are really close together but not quite can throw up some horrific phasing effects.

[/quote']

Would it be much different to using a guitar in a band with a piano, or other well tempered instrument?

if you are interested in the idea of the buzz feiten system' date=' it might be an idea to have a look at the earvana compensated nut, i dont think it is quite as involved and perfect as buzz feiten, but is still a very good system and helps get everything in tune better then before, i know a few people with it fitted to guitars and they like it

[/quote']

Cheers for that, will have a lookie.

Meh - can't decide, i play shows quite often and its a pain in the arse when some piano or trumpet player comes up and says "sounding a bit out of tune there mate", when as far as possible its perfect.

Well apprently the nut stops sharpness at first 3 frets but if your nut is cut low enough then this shouldn't happen' date='

[/quote']

All string instruments (fretted only???) suffer from the first few frets problem - its due to extra pressure needing to be applied to a string when its nearer the nut (same deal at the bridge actually), this just wasn't taken into account when Pythagoras came up with the formulas for intonating stringed instruments.

All string instruments (fretted only???) suffer from the first few frets problem - its due to extra pressure needing to be applied to a string when its nearer the nut (same deal at the bridge actually.

Yeah but some manufacturers already have the nut move forward <PRS> and having a low nut means that you don't have to apply extra pressure or at least not enough to make significant sharpness. Doesn't have a zero fret help with that? Something I have never quite under stood.

Nah - standard tuners work fine with it once its intonated' date=' its just instead of having the 12th fret natural and harmonic in tune you make the harmonic slightly sharp or flat depending on the string - but we are talking millicents here hence the need for the fancy Korg tuners, once intonated it behaves the same as any other guitar.

I'll take you up on that offer Ian, need to discuss something else too, but i'll give you a call about that!

[/quote']

I get you, but since intonation should be checked regularly you'd need one of those tuners.

Not for the accuracy but because you have to put it in a mode and I'd be very surprised if they told you what differences in tuning there were so you could use any old tuner.

Anyway the main point is that with a guitar you're constrained to an even tempered scale. How can putting on a new nut and intonating slightly different change this? You'll still have an even tempered instrument. I'm not saying it's not going to be better, just never perfect.