aberdeen-music

where should i go?

Guest E.C

http://www.sziget.hu/festival_english/#.Tw3s7vmi2So

I vote Sziget. A week's festival for €195 and I had no idea that a festival could actually be well run (only having been to T and Leeds before). Ignore the fact that they've only got the Stone Roses on the bill just now, they have literally thousands of acts/performances. And if it concerns you any, last year a pint was £1.60 but since then their currency has tanked :S

I am just gutted it took me until I was 26 to give it a go for the first time.

I visited Nepal in October. Best holiday of my life, but living there would be absolutely heinous.

I spent 3 months there. I would want to live there forever or anything but I could certainly have done a year or two. Slightly depending on which part I suppose.

If I had the money I think a big US road trip would be my choice.

Something closer to home, Slovenia is a really great country and I've heard great things about Croatia, Bulgaria etc so that region is worth considering too.

Total nonsense.

Calgary and the Rocky Mountains are the best places I've been to, probably. Not holiday-y, jesus, I should shoot you a lot.

Uh, in the sense of a typical holiday being hot and sunny. While Canada has good summers it's hardly the first place I'd think of for heat.

'Course EC probably doesn't fancy that.

Sweden's lovely. I went a couple of summers ago and took in Stockholm, Gothenburg and Malmo. Stockholm's got plenty happening, and Malmo and Gothenburg are really pretty in summer, especially if you want to walk or take a bike around. Gothenburg's got some really nice gardens, and the archapelago is really picturesque. Malmo's got great beaches and a lot of traditional architecture, I took the train to Copenhagen from there to visit a few friends too.

If you're going to do a USA road trip, I really can't recommend stopping off in Austin enough. Give the rest of Texas a miss, but Austin's just ace. Going back there for SXSW this year, but it's totally buzzing at any time of year really.

I'd strongly recommend against going to Tunisia. Went there a couple of years back and it was the worst holiday we've been on.

Best we've been on have been Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur is wicked) and if you just fancy an all inclusive mong oot, I would highly highly highly recommend the Dominican Republic. That's the best holiday we've been on. Beautiful country, lovely people, binloads of ace rum and just all round laidbackness!

I'd strongly recommend against going to Tunisia. Went there a couple of years back and it was the worst holiday we've been on.

Best we've been on have been Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur is wicked) and if you just fancy an all inclusive mong oot, I would highly highly highly recommend the Dominican Republic. That's the best holiday we've been on. Beautiful country, lovely people, binloads of ace rum and just all round laidbackness!

+1 for Malaysia. I went there a couple of years ago and it was all kinds of ace - especially the food. So much amazing food.

I just went to Jordan and it was very nice. Easy to do, good food, pretty friendly, quite a variety of interesting places to visit.

A road trip around America is definitely great. I went round most of the western states last year and it was just brilliant. The Pacific Northwest (Oregon and Washington) is particularly good - decent music scene too.

A few people at my work have been, one of which stayed in the same hotel we're going to, and said it was good. We're going all inclusive, so I don't really care about anything other than getting sloshed every day and then probably drowning in the sea. They also say they'll make you a burger, whenever you want. Unlimited. I don't think they know what they are letting themselves in for.

I'm probably going to up my drinking measure from a pint to a gallon.

+1 for Malaysia. I went there a couple of years ago and it was all kinds of ace - especially the food. So much amazing food.

The street food stalls are amazing. And when we were in Borneo, we went to this market where they cook all kids of awesome seafood and it's about ten metres from the sea and things are dirt cheap. We were knuckle deep in Lobster and all sorts (not stuffed with tacos). Amazing!

East Coast USA is nice. I loved NYC when I was there although it was a little intimidating by myself. I looked at Boston and Washington DC as well but decided to spend more time out in Oregon/Washington instead. When I go back to the US I'll definitely spend more time on the East Coast.

I got around by train. You meet some characters, including the people who work on the train.

I've been to Malaysia a couple of times and not enjoyed it that much. The one thing it has going is the amenities of a developed country at lower prices. KL is a horribly designed pain in the arse. Some of the islands and beaches are nice, but better elsewhere. The food is not one of Asia's better IMO; not to say it's not good, just that say, Vietnam's is infinitely better... did I say go Vietnam?

That said, I'm talking about the more populated west of the Peninsula here... wouldn't mind giving the jungles, East coast and/or Borneo or go...