aberdeen-music

Moshulu/warehouse

ido

Although if it is anything like the Cathouse, I disapprove. It will have different staff to the Glasgow one though so that is already an improvement from when I was last there.

definitely, really hope it is used as a venue again

I don't think it will be a gig venue again if the problem was the cost of soundproofing and a company like those running Barfly weren't willing to stump up the cash. Who else would fork out for it? On a venue that size it would not be cheap

That's just it...I'm not sure there is a market for it anymore - possibly not even as a venue. Not a viable business, IMO, particularly as you say with Korova doing so well.

Hmm not sure about Korova. Depends what audience they target really. All of my friends who were regulars at Basement before it closed absolutely hate Korova and instead just stay in the Moorings all the time. If they made it like Warehouse was on Friday nights before I close I think quite a large number of people would at least go to try it. Hell they even went to that 'rock night' upstairs in liquid which was just commercial pop music with a slipknot song thrown in every 30 mins.

With The Moorings being open til later on Friday and Saturday now which it wasn't when Warehouse was still going that may have changed things. Warehouse was always the go-to venue after The Moorings closed.

But as just a club, doesn't it still have the soundproofing issues?

After midnight it wouldn't be a problem as it was Rileys who complained about the noise and I am sure they close at midnight. Gigs would have been run from 7-11pm which would be the busiest time for Rileys. I think they would probably have to do some though as the club always opened at 1030, but they could maybe reach a compromise with people who voice concerns about the noise level? Just guessing there and the Rileys comments are based purely on the unofficial information we got about the Warehouse closure

Bands make more noise than music from a cd does, purely on the low end of things which i would imagine caused most of the issues Moshulu had. I just dont see Moshulu being a viable business as just a club now, years ago there only really was Moshulu after the Palace stopped, Exo was always a different crowd. As far as i can tell people rarely get turned away from Korova for it being too busy, so where are these extra few hundred people going to come from at the weekends to fill two alternative music night clubs? If its not a venue/club i cant see it doing that well, not unless its going to be something completely different to what Moshulu was and avoids the alternative scene.

Surely if a building isn't adequately soundproofed, it isn't adequately soundproofed whether the neighbours are complaining or not. I'm not sure Environmental Health would base it passing tests on whether or not Rileys wanted to make a complaint.

Not saying in any way at all that I don't want to see Moshulu re-opened, I fucking loved the place and was one of the few who still steadfastly turned up even when it changed it's name to Warehouse and got all sparkly. BUT, back in 2002-2004 I used to be in Rileys almost every night and when Moshulu was open it was unbelievably loud up there. And that was just on club nights, not gig nights, you would almost have to shout over the music coming up through the floor. There was no point putting on the jukebox or anything because you wouldn't be able to hear anything for bass, and if you left a drink sitting on one of the tables it would vibrate right off the table on to the floor. Not an exaggeration. I lost several drinks that way. But yeah Rileys was open untill 2 or 3 back then, I think it shuts early now that it's really shit.

Hopefully it stays as a music venue but not sure on the rumours to whos buying it.

Still think theres space for a decent gig venue of its size if someone with the know how and dosh to get the right bands in.

Dunno how the Rileys thing will effect it or if it was a false truth to get Mama out. Its a steep rent for the place and the rates on Bassment are massive. The Cathouse never had much luck running bars only in the nightclub side.

With Mama not soundproofing, i think they were on the get out quick when any problems flared considering now all the venues and mama group are going up for sale by hmv

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...