aberdeen-music

What game are you currently playing?

Lemonade

I really enjoyed Metal Gear Solid V. The cutscenes aren't as long winded, no codec calls. Just all the action. Some pretty somber moments sandwiched in between Kojima ogling women's boobs.

Then there's stuff like The Witcher and GTA V. would recommend both of them.

21 hours ago, ca_gere said:

My only pre-requisite for suggestions was 'other than uncharted'. Thanks though

Any reason why?

On 8/23/2016 at 4:01 PM, ca_gere said:

Picked up Last of Us not knowing anything about it. Floored. Such a great game. Any suggestions of similar games to this? (movie-like plot + awesome action). I've got the uncharteds except the newest one, which i'll pick up when it's cheap.

Aye so I just looked back and realised I didn't even read that last sentence.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Soda van Jerk said:

I'm proudly shit at all video games. Newer games don't seem very forgiving towards casual gamers like me anymore.

It's the move towards simulation over arcade gameplay. I used to love the John Madden games on the mega drive and then early on with the PS1. They're so realistic now, and the level of control is so much more complex that the level of fun is compromised.

or maybe I'm just old and grouchy. Get off my lawn. 

Do you play a lot of Sports games? It's interesting you say that as I've been reading (watching youtube vlogs) with lots of criticism towards modern games for being too coddling to gamers and removing a lot of the threat and challenge. Going back and playing some older games, some of them were brutal! Though, many of them were harder because they were much simpler, but didn't have save points every 30 seconds..

17 hours ago, Lemonade said:

Maybe you guys are just shit at it. 

Your face is shit.

My big problem with the submissions is that it's hard to get practice. Like, the training at the start where you just keep jumping into submission holds constantly. I want that. I want to be able to train in the areas I'm weak in. And the reversals tend to vary wildly depending on your character stats. At the start of My Career I couldn't reverse shit, but I've been adding as many attribute points to speed and reversal stats and I'm definitely seeing a turn.

xx

2 hours ago, Lemonade said:

I've never actually played it tbh, I was just trolling. The XBox 360 version doesn't have mini games, just button mashing, and you can turn down the AI reversals in settings. 

I can't even remember what the submission system was in 2k15, I just remember kicking ass at with! I set basically all of my heavy ground attacks to submission holds and just fucking destroyed them. Because not only do submissions give you a change of an outright win, but the longer you can hold it the more damage it inflicts too. Seems to me like they've just totally fucked it in this release.

And yeah, you can turn down the difficulty too if you're a complete waste of thumbs. HARD MODE 4EVR.

xx

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Stroopy121 said:

I can't even remember what the submission system was in 2k15, I just remember kicking ass at with! I set basically all of my heavy ground attacks to submission holds and just fucking destroyed them. Because not only do submissions give you a change of an outright win, but the longer you can hold it the more damage it inflicts too. Seems to me like they've just totally fucked it in this release.

And yeah, you can turn down the difficulty too if you're a complete waste of thumbs. HARD MODE 4EVR.

xx

That cut me deep. 

• Upvote 2

I normally do my first playthrough on medium. So I know it's not going to be a cakewalk but also I'm not going to get stuck on a bit near the end forever and not find out how the game ends. Going back to old games after new ones is difficult. Especially MGS with the shitty camera and controls on MGS1. Used a walk through on easy for the MSX games. Fuck that.

Same with Uncharted 4. The controls worked so well. I was fucked on the first 3 when I couldn't hide in tall grass and do easy take downs.

6 minutes ago, Jaaakkkeee said:

I normally do my first playthrough on medium. So I know it's not going to be a cakewalk but also I'm not going to get stuck on a bit near the end forever and not find out how the game ends. Going back to old games after new ones is difficult. Especially MGS with the shitty camera and controls on MGS1. Used a walk through on easy for the MSX games. Fuck that.

Same with Uncharted 4. The controls worked so well. I was fucked on the first 3 when I couldn't hide in tall grass and do easy take downs.

I used to, but since my game time is shorter now I rarely get the chance to replay a game so I just go right in to the hardest mode and slog through it. Regular checkpoints and saves mean there's not much you can't beat if you're a bit stubborn!

xx

9 hours ago, Stroopy121 said:

I used to, but since my game time is shorter now I rarely get the chance to replay a game so I just go right in to the hardest mode and slog through it. Regular checkpoints and saves mean there's not much you can't beat if you're a bit stubborn!

xx

See if I had less game time, I'd want to make sure I'd enjoy it and not be raging at it. How people manage no save S ranks on Metal Gear I've no idea. I ragequit too often.

Not online though. Never ragequit online. Playing Rocket League, and the amount of people who will quit if they don't win is stupid. Normally goes: we lose, by a goal or two. They agree to a rematch. We go up by a goal or two then win by forfeit. Takes all the fun out of winning if the other people just drop out. I take my losses like a man. Got beat 7-1 the other day. Stayed to the end. But only online. I got killed in No Mans Sky so I quit then used an old save.

12 hours ago, Stroopy121 said:

Do you play a lot of Sports games? It's interesting you say that as I've been reading (watching youtube vlogs) with lots of criticism towards modern games for being too coddling to gamers and removing a lot of the threat and challenge. Going back and playing some older games, some of them were brutal! Though, many of them were harder because they were much simpler, but didn't have save points every 30 seconds..

I don't play many sports games anymore but I did used to play FIFA a lot. Took a few years off from it, had a go on it recently, and I just couldn't do it. It seemed much more complex to get the game to do what you wanted it to do, and the amount of precision required and all the different controls you need to use now just made it not very fun. Sports games often have a shift button as well, so holding down LB will sometimes then make certain buttons do something totally different. Double controls. Having to master skills and tricks through practice sort of puts me off, as a casual gamer. I just want to switch it on, and be great at it!

I agree games used to be harder, but they weren't harder to control IMO. You could jump right in to most games and make it work because you'd have a D pad and 3 or 4 buttons. It was hard because you'd only have 2 lives to beat the game, and baddies were relentless. Now you practically have infinite lives and regular checkpoints and AI in more complex games is usually pretty awful. Some games even has your health recharge just from doing nothing. Games with a story narrative are easy to beat because of that. You just keep doing it til you win. But certain games are more complex to control and require more practice to be good at even at a basic level.

So, games are easier. But also harder. Unless you're already good at games. I'm shit at games.

Formula 1 games have done this too. To make it like real F1 you only get a handful of laps out of your tyres before they start to wear out, and the longer you stay out on worn tyres, the harder your car becomes to drive and keep pointing in the right direction. Annoyingly, the harder and more aggressive you drive, the quicker your tyres burn out, so you can tear off the line, overtake 10 cars on the first lap and race off into the distance, then by lap 4 your tyres may be as well be made out of noodles and you literally spin at every corner and every time you accelerate. So you have to pit more often than all the other cars and they all stream past you while you're getting your tyres changed.  The only way to win is to drive as carefully and gently as possible to conserve your tyres, brake early and don't  go too fast in to the  corners, gently touch the accelator on the way out and eaaaase it back down without spinning the wheels, hit the apexes so you're not taking the corner at too sharp an angle as that also wears your tyres out (btw this makes no fucking difference by the end, no matter how carefully you drive by the last lap you've got about a 50/50 of making it round every corner and you'll normally drop from 1st to about 10th on the last lap of every race).

The entire game is about tyres. Is it realistic? Yes. But you know what isn't fun? A FUCKING DRIVING GAME THAT PUNISHES YOU FOR DRIVING TOO FAST. 

Yeah that's what I was gonna get at - that while shooter games and stealth games seem to be keeping it kinda simple with safety nets, checkpoints, infinite lives and billions of gadgets, sports games seem to be squeezing infinite complexity into the minutiae.

Personally, my biggest hatred in gaming just now is fucking resource gathering. Like, Far Cry 3 is the latest in that series that I've played, but I got so fucking sick of having to stop playing the main quest to go find 50 fucking boars to kill and skin to make a new satchel to get a better carry capacity. Fuck. That. Shit. Just give me a good game without that fucking cunting about. What happened to linear stories?!

xx

On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 4:01 PM, ca_gere said:

Picked up Last of Us not knowing anything about it. Floored. Such a great game. Any suggestions of similar games to this? (movie-like plot + awesome action). I've got the uncharteds except the newest one, which i'll pick up when it's cheap.

LotR: Shadow of Mordor is pretty awesome. The plot is strong but not THE GREATEST, but the action is amazing - similar to Assassin's Creed.

xx

12 hours ago, Lemonade said:

Formula 1 games have done this too. To make it like real F1 you only get a handful of laps out of your tyres before they start to wear out, and the longer you stay out on worn tyres, the harder your car becomes to drive and keep pointing in the right direction. Annoyingly, the harder and more aggressive you drive, the quicker your tyres burn out, so you can tear off the line, overtake 10 cars on the first lap and race off into the distance, then by lap 4 your tyres may be as well be made out of noodles and you literally spin at every corner and every time you accelerate. So you have to pit more often than all the other cars and they all stream past you while you're getting your tyres changed.  The only way to win is to drive as carefully and gently as possible to conserve your tyres, brake early and don't  go too fast in to the  corners, gently touch the accelator on the way out and eaaaase it back down without spinning the wheels, hit the apexes so you're not taking the corner at too sharp an angle as that also wears your tyres out (btw this makes no fucking difference by the end, no matter how carefully you drive by the last lap you've got about a 50/50 of making it round every corner and you'll normally drop from 1st to about 10th on the last lap of every race).

The entire game is about tyres. Is it realistic? Yes. But you know what isn't fun? A FUCKING DRIVING GAME THAT PUNISHES YOU FOR DRIVING TOO FAST. 

That sounds like the least fun any person could have. You might as well play Truck Simulator.

Actually, no. Scrap that. Truck Simulator is a right laugh. At least your tyres don't burn out driving from Munich to Amsterdam whilst flooring it, running reds and overtaking on the inside.

The new Gran Turismo game, GT Sport, will have you take part in race etiquette lessons and watch videos on the proper way to conduct your self on the track and podium. But if you do all that and complete the training you can unlock a real life racing license to take to race tracks and race in real life. I shit you not. 
So like F1 realism but you get a IRL reward for all the boring real life stuff they stuck in a game. 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought an XBox One at the weekend and I've no idea what games are good so be dears and give me some recommendations would you? I don't really like first person shooters, favourite games of recent times are Batman Arkham series, GTA, Skyrim. Adventurey things like Tomb Raider. I love racing games. Would also appreciate some games that are good for 2 people to play together. Me and the wife play together quite a lot. 

Also downloaded WWE 2K16 so I can see what you all are bitching about.

2 hours ago, Lemonade said:

I bought an XBox One at the weekend and I've no idea what games are good so be dears and give me some recommendations would you? I don't really like first person shooters, favourite games of recent times are Batman Arkham series, GTA, Skyrim. Adventurey things like Tomb Raider. I love racing games. Would also appreciate some games that are good for 2 people to play together. Me and the wife play together quite a lot. 

Also downloaded WWE 2K16 so I can see what you all are bitching about.

GTA V for current gen is a lot better than it was for last-gen. Arkham series is getting a remaster soon, so keep an eye out for that. Fallout 4? The Witcher 3? Xbone got the newest Tomb Raider as an exclusive. 
2 player, I'd say Rocket League, or one of the Lego games (Star Wars/Jurassic World etc). split-screen games are hard to come by now. Everything's about online multiplayer. Been considering getting a second ps4 at some point so me and the gf can play more games together. Black Ops 3 has online splitscreen. 

• Upvote 1

Was going for a platinum on Canis Canem Edit, but I couldn't hold back anymore.

Over the last year I've played through Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and just before Canis Canem Edit, I played through Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes. So I gave up on my platinum (only about 4 trophies left to get to) and dove in to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain last night. It's just as beautiful as I remember it being. Keeping an eye out and I've filled 2 note books with notes from the previous games, this game will take a note book to itself. I've spent too much time on Never Be Game Over. I've got my notebook and my tin foil hat and I'm ready to pet D-Dog and stare at Quiet's gratuitous nudity. 

1 hour ago, Jaaakkkeee said:

GTA V for current gen is a lot better than it was for last-gen. Arkham series is getting a remaster soon, so keep an eye out for that. Fallout 4? The Witcher 3? Xbone got the newest Tomb Raider as an exclusive. 
2 player, I'd say Rocket League, or one of the Lego games (Star Wars/Jurassic World etc). split-screen games are hard to come by now. Everything's about online multiplayer. Been considering getting a second ps4 at some point so me and the gf can play more games together. Black Ops 3 has online splitscreen. 

We do play the fuck out of the Lego games. She's recently started getting in to more challenging games tho so hope I can find something we can both play that I'm not bored for 90% of. 

I saw a video of that Witcher one recently and it look decent. Might get Tomb Raider too.  I got a free game with the console - The Division - any good? I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. 

Edited by Lemonade

1 hour ago, Lemonade said:

We do play the fuck out of the Lego games. She's recently started getting in to more challenging games tho so hope I can find something we can both play that I'm not bored for 90% of. 

I saw a video of that Witcher one recently and it look decent. Might get Tomb Raider too.  I got a free game with the console - The Division - any good? I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. 

I never played it. Seems to have a loyal following but would get boring quickly. 

Borderlands is a fun shooter that's two player. Bit of a grind-fest tho.

I see what you guys were saying about WWE 2K16 on XBox One now, after spending the night getting my face pasted into the canvas. Computer counters absolutely everything you throw at it. I turned the AI countering down to try and level it out a bit, and now it only counters every second move. The biggest problem I'm finding is that when the computer starts to get the better of you you're utterly defenseless. You get like a tenth of a second to hit the counter button. Nobody has reflexes that fast. The mini games are stupid as well. Glad I got this piece of shit free. No fun at all. 

I'd like to emphasise how much I'm not a noob at this series. There's a new game every year and I've bought at least every second one since Smackdown on PS1 in 2000. I put literally hundreds of hours into WWE 2K14 alone, christ knows how many over the series. I play on Legend difficulty on this game on 360. I should not be getting beaten a kicking on normal difficulty  by Ricky The Dragon Steamboat. 

It's nuts, isn't it? You have to be a Jedi to react quick enough to do a reversal. I had to turn the reversal frequency right down for it to be any fun, and for it to be remotely realistic. Mini-games can still go to hell though. They should make it optional to revert to button-bashing.

Button bashing should be the basis of any game where a certain amount of struggling is involved.

Apparently 2k17 will have less mini-games. As in only wrestlers that would do grappling IRL will force you to do grapple mini-games in the new game.

Anyone seen Mafia 3 videos? Looks very cool. The collectors edition comes with 2 180g records, and artwork, and season pass, and other goodies, but it's 129.99. I want, but also, I don't?

I'm getting a bit better at it now I've had another night of practice. I'm getting better at countering. It's completely different to the series I'm used to and I couldn't figure out for example why I could never get the signature or finishing moves to work. Turns out, even if you have a signature or finishing move stored, unless you have 50% stamina available your wrestler can't perform his moves. I didn't figure this out and i was just getting more and more annoyed about not being able to put people away because you can't win without a finishing move. What drains your stamina bar is performing wrestling moves. So, totally counter intuitively, you have to NOT hit them and NOT wrestle to save up stamina. If they're on the ground just stand and wait for them to get up essentially. Or toss them out of the ring so you can catch your breath. Very slow and methodical. This makes no sense to me. Shouldn't a fighting game encourage you to fight? My style has always been a frenzy of running attacks and quick running grapples, beat the piss out of them on the ground, and be back on them again with anther running attack as soon as they stand up before they have time to compose themselves. This style doesn't work in this game as my stamina runs out after about 20 seconds. Completely bonkers system, and I'm undoing 10+ years of playing the game a certain way. But it isn't as terrible as I first thought. The minigames can eat a dick though. The one for submissions is impossible and it's far too random when you're getting pinned. 

MyCareer, holy shit. Talk about a steep learning curve. When you start not only are you hobbled by terrible stats but there's a lot of things you can't do. No top rope dives, no rope breaks, ring escapes, resilience, second finishers. Only two reversals available (and they recharge slow). So you're being double handicapped really, and it's the same points that you use to purchase stats and abilities, so you progress really slowly. Of course, all the guys you're wrestling are already at their top stats or whatever so it's infuriatingly hard when you start out. No starting you out gently, which most games do these days. It throws you in at the deep end with fucking concrete boots on.

Finally, the create a wrestler is miles better than on 360, and it's cool that you can edit the existing WWE wrestlers so it's easier to do your own storylines, starts factions and tag teams etc. And metallic textures on clothes. Amazing. My create-a-wrestler (Aaron Tokyo, I'll put him on Community Creations for the lols so you can download him and beat the crap out of him) wears metallic green and gold tights. He looks like a Christmas present. Biggest grumble with it is in the XBox one version as opposed to the 360 version they've taken out the ability to upload your own music to use as your entrance theme. So I can't have my guy come out to Bad Religion, which I always do. I normally have a whole bunch of male and female wrestlers I created myself on my Universe, and I like to use the Community Creations to download real wrestlers who aren't in the game (The Club, AJ Styles, Charlotte etc) and I would normally download their theme tunes and put them on my XBox too to keep it as realistic as possible. So it sucks I can't do that any more. There's only about 10 generic tunes and they're all terrible.

ba424d3bdc3e62d2715e27349798dffd.jpg

Edited by Lemonade
  • Upvote 1

I fucked of wwe because I just got sick of how slow it is.  Playing FarCry 4 now. 10 hours in and I've done one mission.  Otherwise I've been hunting bears to get better kit and climbing towers and shit. It's a great game but there's WAY too much going on. I don't wanna start the story properly because I know if I do I'll have to stop to do all this shit later. I MISS LINEAR STORY LINES.

xx