aberdeen-music

What game are you currently playing?

Lemonade

For some reason Tiger Woods would crash at the same point every time I played it. Simulated round. Got no where near what I scored on the first two. Still took the tournament with 29 under.

Rocksmith is good. I'm learning all about bar chords and I can play an E and a D chord for the first time.

Picked up Farcry 3 last week. Love it. Feels like a first person cross between GTA, Red Dead and Assassins Creed. Right up my street. Only good thing about hurting my back last week was having an excuse to stay in and play it all week.

have you had a chance to play co op? was going to get this for me and the mrs before deciding on tigger wids.

I've been playing Dead Island all last week. It's pretty decent. The whole attitude of the game seems a bit conflicted though. At times it's pretty gritty and moving like The Walking Dead then in a heartbeat you find yourself strapping batteries and tinfoil to a big machete to gib folk with. It's almost as if two very different groups of people worked on the game. Game play wises its a mix of sandbox gaming and first person melee that reminds me of Condemned. The cut scenes and the like are annoying as they haven't made individual ones for the four playable characters so they just have all four people there interacting with each other which is strange as you don't see anyone else unless you play co-op.

The story in game is different in tone to that of the trailer, which incidentally could be the best trailer for a game ever.

On the topic of zombie games I've seen gameplay footage of the new Walking Dead game being made by Activision. It looks terrible. Absolutely god awful level terrible. I'm a wee bit gutted because I'm a big fan of the comics, T.V show and the episodic game that won g.o.t.y last year. I mean the game play looks identical to Left for Dead 2, even the fire axe looks like the axe from Left for Dead 2. Poor effort Activision.

I'm so mad at Activision at the moment though. The new Black Ops is probably the worst COD ever made. The story mode lasts around 3 hours and the multiplayer is so flawed it makes me genuinely angry to play. I've compiled a list of everything I feel is wrong with it.

• The Sniper rifles are beyond over powered. The hit detection area for them is gigantic. You don't even need to aim them really, just kinda zoom in in the general area and shoot. They always seem to be one shot kills as well which is absolutely mental. There seems to be huge rifts in the balancing of the guns. Silenced SMG's are still an issue which is mind bogglingly as it's been a problem since mw2. The other day on turbine I was outgunned at an extreme range by some dick with a silenced vector. 5 bullets across the entire map wiped me out before I could even raise my red dot fal to ADS. Mental.
  • The Perk and create a class system is completely fucked. For instance, if you drop both your flashbangs you can select a 2nd perk for any of the perk slots. That's insane. Luckily most of the perks are now shite. Some of the perks are actually completely useless, there's one there that makes you immune to counter uav's and emp's. I can count on two hands the amount of times I've seen the enemy use a counter uav and I've never seen anyone use an emp as you can't get killstreaks anymore which brings me onto my next point.
  • THE FUCKING SPAWNS. First off I've played every type of gametype and found the respawns across the board are ridiculous. You can't get killstreaks anymore because games now play out like this. Game begins- you kill an enemy in the middle of the map - they respawn a few metres behind you - they kill you - you respawn several feet behind them and kill them. Repeat this for 10 minutes and chuck in taking objectives/ losing objectives and you get the rough idea. I've seen videos on youtube of one map in particular which is on a boat called Hijacked. When you start a game on this map if you are able to jump off the boat and commit suicide you will respawn where the enemy begun the game. It's crazy. Within seconds of the game starting you can be in behind the entire enemy team. My main gripe with the randomness of the spawns is that it makes it impossible to know roughly where the enemy are coming from. There's absolutely no way of knowing how many people are likely to be behind you or in front of you. Which make the game very unfair in my eyes. You could be on a blinding streak and it could be ended because someone comes round a corner as you are reloading or killing someone else. It's just crazy. Removes a huge part of the game for me as you can no longer feel in control of game because everything is so random.
  • The maps are very badly designed. They all feel like a maze. There's no real 'landmarks' in any of them which make it a nightmare to shout out to team mates to tell them where the enemy are and to also get your bearings. None of them get people excited. "Oh great Plaza, that means we have to listen to that shitty skrillex song when the hardpoint moves into the smallest night club in the world, which strangely is also the nightclub with the most amount of entrances in it." Utter tripe. Give me a napkin and a mascara pen and I could draw a better map than any of the pish in this game.
  • It just seems like you don't really need to be that good anymore. I play Black ops 2 no differently to how I play any other Call of Duty title and I just can't seem to do as well as I usually do. I've got a decent K/D ratio across the board apart from Black ops 2.

Anyway rant over. It's almost home time, anyone fancy some xbox live tonight?

Far Cry 3. Incredible game. It's like Assassin's Creed, but set on a tropical island and not boring as fuck. Last night I was getting my stealth on, swimming up on a pirate camp through some dodgy swamp when a giant bastard crocodile takes a bite out of my arse. Absolutely shat it. I stabbed him in the eye and killed him in the end. A few hours later I was ravaged by a flock of feral emus while trying to snipe a tiger.

• Upvote 2

I've been playing Dead Island all last week. It's pretty decent. The whole attitude of the game seems a bit conflicted though. At times it's pretty gritty and moving like The Walking Dead then in a heartbeat you find yourself strapping batteries and tinfoil to a big machete to gib folk with. It's almost as if two very different groups of people worked on the game. Game play wises its a mix of sandbox gaming and first person melee that reminds me of Condemned. The cut scenes and the like are annoying as they haven't made individual ones for the four playable characters so they just have all four people there interacting with each other which is strange as you don't see anyone else unless you play co-op.

The story in game is different in tone to that of the trailer, which incidentally could be the best trailer for a game ever.

On the topic of zombie games I've seen gameplay footage of the new Walking Dead game being made by Activision. It looks terrible. Absolutely god awful level terrible. I'm a wee bit gutted because I'm a big fan of the comics, T.V show and the episodic game that won g.o.t.y last year. I mean the game play looks identical to Left for Dead 2, even the fire axe looks like the axe from Left for Dead 2. Poor effort Activision.

I'm so mad at Activision at the moment though. The new Black Ops is probably the worst COD ever made. The story mode lasts around 3 hours and the multiplayer is so flawed it makes me genuinely angry to play. I've compiled a list of everything I feel is wrong with it.

• The Sniper rifles are beyond over powered. The hit detection area for them is gigantic. You don't even need to aim them really, just kinda zoom in in the general area and shoot. They always seem to be one shot kills as well which is absolutely mental. There seems to be huge rifts in the balancing of the guns. Silenced SMG's are still an issue which is mind bogglingly as it's been a problem since mw2. The other day on turbine I was outgunned at an extreme range by some dick with a silenced vector. 5 bullets across the entire map wiped me out before I could even raise my red dot fal to ADS. Mental.
  • The Perk and create a class system is completely fucked. For instance, if you drop both your flashbangs you can select a 2nd perk for any of the perk slots. That's insane. Luckily most of the perks are now shite. Some of the perks are actually completely useless, there's one there that makes you immune to counter uav's and emp's. I can count on two hands the amount of times I've seen the enemy use a counter uav and I've never seen anyone use an emp as you can't get killstreaks anymore which brings me onto my next point.
  • THE FUCKING SPAWNS. First off I've played every type of gametype and found the respawns across the board are ridiculous. You can't get killstreaks anymore because games now play out like this. Game begins- you kill an enemy in the middle of the map - they respawn a few metres behind you - they kill you - you respawn several feet behind them and kill them. Repeat this for 10 minutes and chuck in taking objectives/ losing objectives and you get the rough idea. I've seen videos on youtube of one map in particular which is on a boat called Hijacked. When you start a game on this map if you are able to jump off the boat and commit suicide you will respawn where the enemy begun the game. It's crazy. Within seconds of the game starting you can be in behind the entire enemy team. My main gripe with the randomness of the spawns is that it makes it impossible to know roughly where the enemy are coming from. There's absolutely no way of knowing how many people are likely to be behind you or in front of you. Which make the game very unfair in my eyes. You could be on a blinding streak and it could be ended because someone comes round a corner as you are reloading or killing someone else. It's just crazy. Removes a huge part of the game for me as you can no longer feel in control of game because everything is so random.
  • The maps are very badly designed. They all feel like a maze. There's no real 'landmarks' in any of them which make it a nightmare to shout out to team mates to tell them where the enemy are and to also get your bearings. None of them get people excited. "Oh great Plaza, that means we have to listen to that shitty skrillex song when the hardpoint moves into the smallest night club in the world, which strangely is also the nightclub with the most amount of entrances in it." Utter tripe. Give me a napkin and a mascara pen and I could draw a better map than any of the pish in this game.
  • It just seems like you don't really need to be that good anymore. I play Black ops 2 no differently to how I play any other Call of Duty title and I just can't seem to do as well as I usually do. I've got a decent K/D ratio across the board apart from Black ops 2.

Anyway rant over. It's almost home time, anyone fancy some xbox live tonight?

Pretty muc spot on, COD2 is shite, the only good thing to play on it is free for all, as your used to being spawned behind anyway, team games are pointless on it, especially any kind of objective based game. The load out screen is awful, looks more like a manga cartoon than anything else, and some of the new perks and attachments are completely pointless, or completely overpowered, like the target finder scope, what a fucking cop out for those who cant get good kill streaks. Its the usual thing tho, they make a decent game with a good skill level, your average joe who has played FIFA all his life pisses and moans because he went 1-25 against me and phil and Activation bend over and massively reduce the skill level to make it "more accessible" they did the same to Halo after Halo 2 and they are only now recovering from it.

Trying to fix the heatsink manually. I bought a refurbed one for about £40 so it has no warranty etc on it - I've already had my money's worth from it, so I 'm enjoying the challenge of ripping it to bits and fixing it.

xx

If your fixing it manually, do you know the actual science around why wrapping a towel around it actually works? Its always puzzled me how someone came up with the idea in the first place.

If your fixing it manually, do you know the actual science around why wrapping a towel around it actually works? Its always puzzled me how someone came up with the idea in the first place.

Yeah - it's a weird one though. The whole console has a big design flaw - when the processor heats up, the board it's on warps (this is fairly normal with hot systems) and it moves the CPU away from the heatsink causing it to overheat. The overheating can damage solder connections.

The towel trick absolutely cooks the inside of the console, re-melting the solder, then when it cools the damaged joints set, repairing that damage. The reason it's risky is when you're baking the console you can damage other components, but if you're lucky and everything survives, it works in the short term.

xx

Yeah - it's a weird one though. The whole console has a big design flaw - when the processor heats up, the board it's on warps (this is fairly normal with hot systems) and it moves the CPU away from the heatsink causing it to overheat. The overheating can damage solder connections.

The towel trick absolutely cooks the inside of the console, re-melting the solder, then when it cools the damaged joints set, repairing that damage. The reason it's risky is when you're baking the console you can damage other components, but if you're lucky and everything survives, it works in the short term.

xx

Makes sense! Im guessing it must have been someone who knew that was happening that came up with the towel method then. Always wondered why someone decided to try that out, its not exactly the first thing that springs to mind when your Xbox breaks.

I take it the newer ones have a better design to stop this happening as much??

xx

fucking hell. wouldn't it be easier to just fix it with a shit load of heatsink compound?