aberdeen-music

What game are you currently playing?

Lemonade

Seems like Watch Dogs has had some fairly indifferent reviews.  A bit disappointed, but I had a feeling that might happen.  Supposedly little in the way of characterisation/story for a >20 hour game plus a lot of repetitive gameplay/missions.  I'll still get it eventually, but not so keen to get it right away.  Only just finished GTA 5. 

Seems like Watch Dogs has had some fairly indifferent reviews.  A bit disappointed, but I had a feeling that might happen.  Supposedly little in the way of characterisation/story for a >20 hour game plus a lot of repetitive gameplay/missions.  I'll still get it eventually, but not so keen to get it right away.  Only just finished GTA 5. 

Yeah I think I'll still buy it.  Mostly getting 7s and 8s, so not bad at all but sounds like it's mostly made up of the best bits of AC and Farcry then moved to Chicago. Which sounds pretty good.

But I also want Titanfall.

Have given up on Dark Souls II.

Is Dark Souls good?

It is. But it's so difficult it's like you're getting punched in the nuts every few minutes. It's just attrition.  I just don't find myself wanting to play it as for the short amount of time I get to play games I'm not going to make any progress.  Whereas if I play a few games of COD or fire up GTA I can have a lot more fun.

Finally got around to giving WWE 2K14 a bash. The universe mode isn't as fun as I thought it would be. It doesn't really seem to lead anywhere, and I got bored of it pretty quickly. I thought it would have more wrestlers getting on the microphone and giving it large, but there's none of that. Rivalries don't really seem to go anywhere, and it's just match after match, fighting the same guy, until the rivalry ends.

There's some pretty fun glitches going on most of the time. I was in a match against Shaun Michaels, but then out of nowhere I get attacked. But by who? Retro Shaun Michaels. He clobbered Stone Cold with a Sweet Chin Music, and then Current Shaun Michaels took the win.

30 years of Wrestlemania is pretty great though, so I'm slogging through that, but I fear once I've done it all, that'll be it. Glad I didn't pay full whack for it.

Universe is kinda for nerds who want to be Vince McMahon and have total control. I do everything manually so I can set up the rivalries and pick and choose who goes where and who is challenging for what. But yeah it does get a bit repetitive. I just like how much you can fuck around with it and edit everything to the point of being ridiculous. Want to headline Wrestlemania as an 8-foot tall purple skinned woman with a beard and a viking helmet, who comes down to the ring to a Slayer song? You can do that.

The story modes were better in the ones a few years ago. Instead of Wrestlemania mode there would be 5 year-long storylines you could play through leading up to Wrestlemania, with proper cut scenes, scripts, rivalries and backstage interviews and stuff. You would run around backstage, bump into other wrestlers, get into fights or build friendships, go to Vince's office, and you had a mobile phone you would get texts and voicemails on. You'd play a year as Chris Jericho, a year as CM Punk etc. They took all that out of the last two years for some reason which spoiled it a bit. There was one year where you built up to facing the Undertaker at Wrestlemania and he would fuck with your head, interrupt your matches with ghostly shit and that. At one point you had to run around the Raw arena collecting souls in an urn. That was my favourite. There was definitely more playing in those ones as well. It would take weeks to get through all that. You could realistically knock Wrestlemania mode off in a day or two.

Still though. Climbing that top rope as Macho Man Randy Savage. Hitting the finisher button. Watching him sail off the top rope and land the elbow drop on someone's chest. Count 1-2-3 as Land Of Hope And Glory comes blaring out. Totally worth it.

I miss Macho Man :(

Right I'll shut up now.

macho_man_randy_savage.jpg

Wolfenstein : The New Order

Downloaded this from Steam the other day. It's a mission-driven 1st person shooter in the Half-Life 2 mould and is set in an alternative reality where the Durty Jormans have won WWII (including nuking New York). After spending 14 years in a coma, your character William "B.J." Blazkowicz joins the Resistance. He's help by a former squadmate, Sgt Fraser, who I swear looks like Davie Moyes and has superb dialogue is, using words like "skitters, numpty, doss and bawbag", you even here him off-screen saying "take that ya Nazi cunt".

Anyhoo, nothing new here, but the game looks great and is fun to play. 7.5/10

Wolfenstein : The New Order

Downloaded this from Steam the other day. It's a mission-driven 1st person shooter in the Half-Life 2 mould and is set in an alternative reality where the Durty Jormans have won WWII (including nuking New York). After spending 14 years in a coma, your character William "B.J." Blazkowicz joins the Resistance. He's help by a former squadmate, Sgt Fraser, who I swear looks like Davie Moyes and has superb dialogue is, using words like "skitters, numpty, doss and bawbag", you even here him off-screen saying "take that ya Nazi cunt".

Anyhoo, nothing new here, but the game looks great and is fun to play. 7.5/10

Added to the wishlist.

So, I'm going to be buying a decent gaming PC rig in the next couple of months, and wondering if anyone has any advice one way or the other.

Looking for ROUGHLY around this sort of specs...

i5 or i7 Quad core ~3.4Ghz

at least 8GB DDR3

GeForce 7500Ti 2048MB

That's pretty much the spec of mine and it can handle any game on high graphic settings.

There are some reputable dealers on eBay (believe it or not) with some high spec machines at good money.

Here's an example that came up on a quick search ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THE-GAMERS-Gaming-PC-i5-4670K-QUAD-CORE-3-40-GHz-X4-8GB-RAM-1TB-NVIDIA-GTX-750-/181394672838?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item2a3bf70cc6

The 4670K is a good processor and there's not a whole heap of REAL perfromance between it and the equivalent i7. Sometimes you're just paying for the priviledge :)

I bought my PC on it's own and got the monitor, moose and keyboard locally.