aberdeen-music

Well who's been ill over the festive period

JaseyBoi

Just thought i'd ask who else has/had been ill over christmas and now getting into new year.....I started feeling a bit shitty on christmas night but put it down to much of everything......Woke up on boxing day and honestly thought i had the fridge freezer on my chest.....Still ill and it doesnt seem to be clearing....The dr's today like as i reckon its defo an infection in my chest...

Heres a question though....Say in the last month you have been prescribed anti biotics for an illness but you feel better before you finish the course,so stop taking them.....Then a month later you have something else wrong with you and you read on the packet of antibiotics that they also treat this illness would you take them for it?..

First off, I'll answer the thread - not this year, but in the past I was in bed all day 'cause I was pretty ill. Woke up to open presents, went back to bed, got up to try some dinner, only managed some soup before being crippled by the pain, back to bed. Abdominal cramps.

Secondly, if they're still in date, why nae eh?

I suppose, being a qualified biochemist, i can comment on the drugs thing. I would take them if they weren't out of date. They obviously had no adverse side effects the first time you took them and as long as your self-diagnosis isn't completely out you'll be fine ;) I would strongly recommend seeing your doctor or phoning NHS 24 though for clarification.

Don't take any medicine that's out of date though. Bad times.

A course of antibiotics is designed to be completed, regardless of if you feel better halfway through.

True, but there are also schools of thought that advocate not overusing antibiotics as your body builds up resistance to them. Depends on your Doctor i guess but usually antibiotic scripts are small enough these days that they are probably just enough to get you well enough for your body to fight back itself or less so you have to get more or change antibiotics if that one isn't working.

I have a degree in biomedical science and am a 4th year medical student.... so I think that probably makes me just about the most qualified on the forum to offer advice here for a change (usually i am the n00b around here!).

As someone said earlier when prescribed a course of antibiotics you should finish them. It's very rare to be given them for more than 1/2 weeks now and if given for longer than that they are generally needed. The problem with finishing a course early is that you may feel better but the infection may not have been totally cleared, in which case you are effectively just selecting out the most resistant bacteria and letting them live. Granted this could also happen if you fully finished the course of antibiotics but in those circumstances it is more than likely you were given the wrong antibiotic in the first place.

If you are feeling ill again you should definitely go back to your GP. Different infections have different bacteria which are likely to be the cause. Even if it is an infection in the same location as it was before the fact you have taken antibiotics may have changed the likely cause. (as doctor's always prescribe on a 'best guess' in the absence of any cultures, and the best guess is usually the most common cause - which the antibiotics will have targeted). So it's likely that whatever caused the second infection is at least partially resistant to the antibiotics used to caused the first one which will require a different antibiotic to treat. I don't know if this would be the same for infections a month apart but it's definitely true of shorter timescales. You may have heard of C Diff, this is a case in point of that process. Antibiotics wipeout the normal and least harmful bacteria, allowing C Diff to colonise the intestine and they then develop symptoms. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clostridium_difficile

• Upvote 3

good advice guys....I have the doctor in half an hour so hopefully ill get something from him/her.....All i was looking for fox was other peoples opinions on re-using old medication...My own old medication (less than 2 months old) not anyones elses so i guess i either gave off the wrong impression or you woke up way to excited this morning :D . . . . Have a beer for me tonight bud .

My girlfriend and many people I know had the winter vomitting virus but I managed to avoid it through thorough hand washing, sleeping on the sofa bed for 3 nights and being made of steel.

It's a real relationship tester when you're asked to bring a bucket to the bathroom for a "both ends" emergency. We passed. It must be love.

I would take the antibiotics. In Ireland antibiotics are like fucking currency. It costs £50 to see a GP so most Irish woman stockpile a huge stash of medication and just self medicate. You want antibiotics, diclofenac, diazepam, tramadol, codiene, chances are the woman next door will trade you some if you wash her windows.

To the OP.

I got a very nasty chest infection about 4 years ago, i went to my GP who prescribed me antibiotics. Unfortunately the infection got worse, and four days later i ended up in ARI.

They took a sample of the stuff i was coughing up ( i presume to grow the bacteria i had in my lungs) and gave me both intravenous and oral antibiotics.

Since prescribed medicines are free, it's probably worth going back to see your GP if you can get an early enough appointment

It's a real relationship tester when you're asked to bring a bucket to the bathroom for a "both ends" emergency. We passed. It must be love.

fuck that shit, she would have been in the shed.....with a tarp on the deck just in case. dont need the house stunk up with shitty/puke fumes. might make me feel queasy, and interrupt the fitba....which under no circumstances is to be permitted.