aberdeen-music

The Hobbit - Trailer

Diesel

Guest Gladstone

I haven't read the book, but it looks like a fucking big book to try and get into one movie, so two parts is probably a good idea.

Loved the LOTR movies, so looking forward to this.

The Hobbit is a waaay better book than Lord of the Rings. Lord of the Rings is total shite.

I draw the line at someone calling LOTR "shite". It's a difficult read in all honesty becuase there is so much to remember names and places-wise but it's still a fantastic read if you like fantasy novels. The Hobbit is a much easier read and the story is a quicker progression.

Depends on what you like reading i guess.

I draw the line at someone calling LOTR "shite". It's a difficult read in all honesty becuase there is so much to remember names and places-wise but it's still a fantastic read if you like fantasy novels. The Hobbit is a much easier read and the story is a quicker progression.

Depends on what you like reading i guess.

Aye, sorry. It's only shite in my opinion of course. Not because it's a 'difficult' read though. I do think that The Hobbit is very good however, despite not being much of a fantasy fan.

Guest Gladstone

Ah - right. I thought it was longer than that. 310 pages isn't long at all. I think I based that on seeing some kid at primary school reading it and thinking it looked like a massive book.

Aye, sorry. It's only shite in my opinion of course. Not because it's a 'difficult' read though. I do think that The Hobbit is very good however, despite not being much of a fantasy fan.

I didn't mean difficult as in "you're a grade 1 reader and i'm grade bazillion na na na na na na!" more as in unrewarding at times.

Guest Gladstone

I thought LOTR was a difficult read. It was the poems that got me - that's LOTR right? I got really fucking bored of the first story about half way through (if that). Not a fantasy fan at all though.

I hated Fellowship for the first while but I eventually got totally sucked into it. I love the poetry and long prosaic passages about nothing at all.

I read it more as a really, really fucking long poem with the story being almost incidental than it does as a traditional 'Novel'. It entirely depends what you're after when you read it. If you want an action-packed page-turner then it's not for you (the Hobbit, however, is). But if you want a really well-written, prosaic story which plunges you into every detail (from the mundane to the breath-taking) of it's fantasy realm, them the LOTR series is a must.

xx

I enjoy reading, but I didn't enjoy LOTR. I didn't even finish the first chapter. I had seen the film and new about the party. But I was about 10 pages in and we still weren't there. Nothing had happened at all. I'm determined to have a crack at them all again some point. There's just other books I like more to read first.