aberdeen-music

harmonica player required

Dizzy Storm

Guest Sundaram
since ziggy fantastic is moving to auld reekie' date=' deadloss have a part-time position available in the field of 'rocking harmonica player'.

let us know if you can play a bit :)[/quote']

*cough* I dont own one, but yeh I can play harmonica!

What key's are the songs with this instrument in? *cough*

Guest Sundaram
Well' date=' there's a shock...

don't hang about, do you?

:rolleyes:

Hehehe, well I played sax on the recording of Carolines Eyes recently, so it makes sense for me to play harmonica if I were able to make it to a Deadloss gig!

:p

PS: Mr Jack, your services are required for recording soon, could you get to work on some drum parts for my tunes!?

Hehehe' date=' well I played sax on the recording of Carolines Eyes recently, so it makes sense for me to play harmonica if I were able to make it to a Deadloss gig!

:p[/quote']

I take it you'll be inserting a broom and sweeping the floor too then?... :p

PS: Mr Jack, your services are required for recording soon, could you get to work on some drum parts for my tunes!?

Yes I will. Are these the tunes you've posted here, or all new creations?

Guest Sundaram
I take it you'll be inserting a broom and sweeping the floor too then?... :p

Yes I will. Are these the tunes you've posted here' date=' or all new creations?[/quote']

Although, I've heard horror stories of broken bones and instruments at their gigs, hmmmm!

Yeh the tunes I've put up here and there will be more to follow!

I don't know anything about music or harmonicas' date=' and this may sound incredibly ignorant, but I assume harmonicas are 'made' in different 'keys'? Are they? Phil?[/quote']

If you'll allow me to interlope in Phil's absence, then yes, they are. Sort of.

Theer are two types of harmonica -

Chromatic - which has all the notes including semitones. These can play in any key, as you can use sharps and flats to fit the key.

Diatonic - These have a more limited number of notes, basically just the simple notes of one particular key, like your Do Re Mi stuff. So if the song is in the key of A, then you need to be playing a Harmonica in the key of A. This is why you see Harmonica players with either their pockets, or special cases stuffed full of moothies, as they have to choose the right one for the song.

This arrangement is further complicated when playing blues harmonica (blues harp, as it's known) as to get get the characteristic 'flattened notes of the blues scale, you need to use a different harp from the key of the piece. Typically if the song is in A, you would need to use a D harp, to achieve the necessary 'blue' notes, with the second hole, drawn, becoming the root note of A. This 'blues harp' is usually used in 'rock' music too.

Hope this helps...

my, you're a clever one!

i'm always shocked to find proper musicians such as phil (and frosty jack by the looks of things) roaming the deadloss board...

its in the key of d summat or other (as with just about every deadloss song these days).

would be v cool to have phil as sax and moothie guy. let's write a song with a melodeon solo. i imagine he owns one.

why's ziggy moving to auld reekie. does he want to be near me?

xxx

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Sundaram
one thing' date=' phil: there will be no rehersal :) it's the deadloss way.

although i can say that we'll be playing exactly the same structure and tune, you may find we play a 'little' faster live, so bring a third lung if you can.

let's fucking rock :bat:[/quote']

Alittle faster you say, bring on the free jazz then ...

I dont have your EP to know the harmonicea tune(you will be supplying me with one yes?) so maybe I should pop past Drakes to get it sometime before the gig?

Dont reply to me here through pm's etc, for Sundaram shall soon be dead.