aberdeen-music

What happened to our scene?

-HH-

A music scene is a city full of venues where you can go and see a band of any genre you fancy on a regular basis if you're so inclined. There's a really active metal/hardcore scene up here and a pretty good indie scene. There's a fairly strong but rapidly dwindling pop/punk scene as the pop-punk kids are growing into hardcore kids. A music scene is NOT a party at a band's house after the gig for everyone who attended because they all went to school together.

New Noise/Korova is where all that shit happens now. Nothing has changed, you're just not a part of it any more and in 10 years time the current clique of bands will be the 'old boys' talking of how their scene died a death when the next wave of kids pick up guitars.

xx

You don't know who I am, do you?

You have no idea of how involved I am, yet you have made statements that I can tell you are b*******

Firstly our metal/hardcore scene is terrible, I'm part of it. I play to 50 kids, I watch shows where their is 20 of us.

Korova is terrible, it is nothing like Moshulu and never will be. It's full of assholes, and people looking fights and no one knows anyone, and has no intentions of meeting new people.

I thought this was a discussion, not an argument, i'm not getting angry about it all, i'm just giving my opinion.

I am too, I'm just a cantankerous wanker who enjoys expressing his opinion in a very arsey, cuntish way.

"Shit" being the key word there

Personally, I agree. But that all comes back to the point I was making - it's not a scene it's a clique and it's awesome if you're on the inside otherwise it's shite.

xx

• Upvote 1

You don't know who I am, do you?

You have no idea of how involved I am, yet you have made statements that I can tell you are b*******

Firstly our metal/hardcore scene is terrible, I'm part of it. I play to 50 kids, I watch shows where their is 20 of us.

Korova is terrible, it is nothing like Moshulu and never will be. It's full of assholes, and people looking fights and no one knows anyone, and has no intentions of meeting new people.

No, I don't. Who are you? Why should I care? What fucking difference does it make to this discussion?

You're upset that your band don't have anyone coming to your shows? Maybe your band are just shit and now that your mates won't come along purely because their your mates you're stroppy because your gigs are empty?

What a contradictory statement to make... they are all assholes because no-one wants to make friends with you? And as for the "looking for fights" thing - that's what drunk kids do!

xx

No, I don't. Who are you? Why should I care? What fucking difference does it make to this discussion?

You're upset that your band don't have anyone coming to your shows? Maybe your band are just shit and now that your mates won't come along purely because their your mates you're stroppy because your gigs are empty?

What a contradictory statement to make... they are all assholes because no-one wants to make friends with you? And as for the "looking for fights" thing - that's what drunk kids do!

xx

Doesn't matter who I am you're right..However i haven't said what you should do or pressumed who you are. The reason for that being I don't know you. This place was and still is full of people shouting their mouth of about people and things they no nothing about.

My band may well be shit, I don't play music for anyone else. I play music that I want to, and write the music I believe is good.

Korova is generally full of assholes who think their some rock god, and walk about like.."Do you not, know who I am??"

Im here for good times and laughs, not to blow sunshine up some guys ass and polish his knob.

Doesn't matter who I am you're right..However i haven't said what you should do or pressumed who you are. The reason for that being I don't know you. This place was and still is full of people shouting their mouth of about people and things they no nothing about.

My band may well be shit, I don't play music for anyone else. I play music that I want to, and write the music I believe is good.

Korova is generally full of assholes who think their some rock god, and walk about like.."Do you not, know who I am??"

Im here for good times and laughs, not to blow sunshine up some guys ass and polish his knob.

Ok, we're dangerously close to agreeing here.

But see those assholes who strut around like rock gods..? Those are the same kids who walk around town wearing their guitar like a fashion accessory. The same kids who you said you used to be one of, and didn't see any more. The scene is exactly the same. You're just not in one of the cliques any more, so it all looks like wankers being cunts and the whole thing is shit.

As for the "I write and perform music I like, regardless of anyone else's opinion" stuff, I 100% agree. If you play a good gig it doesn't matter if it's to 5 people or 5,000. (Obviously it matters a little, if you played to 5,000 you can make a living from your music and all the rules start to change, but that's wayyy off topic).

However: the bit in bold, I (ironically) have no idea who or what you're talking about...

xx

This place was and still is full of people shouting their mouth of about people and things they no nothing about.

Mate, come on, you are doing some of the shouting about things you don't know. People are playing the music they like, maybe they are the popular gigs you don't go to. I was never there "back in the day" but it sounds a bit like "do you not know who i am" with a little bit of back slapping thrown in as well.

• Upvote 1

If it was I would be saying who I am and so on.

I have no interest is saying I am such and such, I played with such and such.

My point is purely this scene is not what it was, and their are numerous factors involved.

I just wanted to know what peoples opinions on what happened was, turned into abit of me v the world haha

Stroopy just out of interest, what are your thoughts on bands:

Grader

Dweller

Autumn In Disguise

Shiner

Prelude To The Hunt

Hounds

Grader - Love some of their stuff, some of it notsomuch

Dweller - Love em. Fuckin' Love em.

Autumn In Disguise - A bit of a take-or-leave affair IMHO. Some of their early stuff was pretty cool but also rather grated on me at times. The new stuff just sounds like would-be Katy Perry songs with a very girly guy doing the vox. It's pop music for people who don't want to like pop music.

Shiner - Heard the name, never followed them though.

Prelude To The Hunt - See Shiner. Heard a few of their tunes though and quite liked them, just never really followed them.

Hounds - Absolutely no idea who they are.

xx

Autumn In Disguise - A bit of a take-or-leave affair IMHO. Some of their early stuff was pretty cool but also rather grated on me at times. The new stuff just sounds like would-be Katy Perry songs with a very girly guy doing the vox. It's pop music for people who don't want to like pop music.

xx

Hahaha very good description!

Grader - Love some of their stuff, some of it notsomuch

Dweller - Love em. Fuckin' Love em.

Shiner - Heard the name, never followed them though.

Prelude To The Hunt - See Shiner. Heard a few of their tunes though and quite liked them, just never really followed them.

Hounds - Absolutely no idea who they are.

xx

I would class all those bands as being active bands and some have been for 3 years now, yet a handfull of people on here will know of them. Looking at the fudge awards, none of the above have been considered, so is it peoples failure to keep up with the times that has caused the decay?

Teabags, hockey on saturday? ;)

I would class all those bands as being active bands and some have been for 3 years now, yet a handfull of people on here will know of them. Looking at the fudge awards, none of the above have been considered, so is it peoples failure to keep up with the times that has caused the decay?

Largely you have to have played a Fudge gig during the year to be nominated, I believe.

• Upvote 1

I see what you're getting at but remember you mentioned the local band threads and it's a bit of a wasteland! Everyone has heard of AID because of their (absolutely fucking incessant) online campaign for the Red Bull thing. Dweller I heard of through here and twitter, Grader I'm a friend of one of the members but if the rest aren't advertising their stuff enough then that's the fault of the bands, not the scene.

xx

Haha, using the Fudge awards to gauge the whole music scene in Aberdeen these days is part of where you're going wrong here.

• Upvote 1