aberdeen-music

What happened to our scene?

-HH-

I left these boards almost 8 years ago, and now I'm back.

What happened to all the bands and musicians that were on the go back then, our scene just died.

I have kept playing in bands and going to shows, but it was like one night our city was raped of our scene.

I remember all the awesome halloween shows and christmas shows, all the parties we would have.

Has everyone grown up, and forgot who they are?

The scene didn't die. Bands are still formed, friendships still made. It's just that people move on in 8 years. Most of the people posting here 8 years ago will have changed a lot. Got jobs, moved away, stopped playing in bands for whatever reason.

And some of them are still here and still involved.

The scene didn't die. Bands are still formed, friendships still made. It's just that people move on in 8 years. Most of the people posting here 8 years ago will have changed a lot. Got jobs, moved away, stopped playing in bands for whatever reason.

And some of them are still here and still involved.

Hmm, are you sure it wasn't that the city was raped of our scene?

:popcorn:

In all seriousness - trolling or not - it's the same with anything but especially in music. The scene has evolved over the years, as have you. You evolve in different directions but since you've followed all the changes in yourself, you think you're still the same and it's the FUCKING WORLD THAT''S CHANGED, MAN!

As above, the scene still lives. It seems (to my eyes) to be heavily populated with either hardcore bands, or the particular brand of indie/pop that I'm not a huge fan of (see Indian Red Lopez for example), but there are still some fucking cracking bands coming out. Especially mine. So don't diss the fucking scene, you cunt.

xx

• Upvote 1

the particular brand of indie/pop that I'm not a huge fan of (see Indian Red Lopez for example)

<OPINION ALERT>

We need more arty/poppy/dancey bands like this. IRL are a breath of fresh air in a city full of metal bands, I think. Not that the metal/hard rock bands aren't GOOD (a lot of them are very very good) but it would be nice to see a diversion from that. The Shores are a young band who are playing the type of music I'm blabbing on about. And they're ace.

</OPINION ALERT>

All I can say is that playing in bands, and going to shows isn't the same as it was years ago. Thier is no "scene" feeling anymore, very much you and us.

I remember days of mixed bill shows and parties after, now it's crap shows not attended and no parties. haha

All I can say is that playing in bands, and going to shows isn't the same as it was years ago. Thier is no "scene" feeling anymore, very much you and us.

I remember days of mixed bill shows and parties after, now it's crap shows not attended and no parties. haha

Okay now I'm pretty sure you're trolling.

Also, *there

trolling??

No I go to gigs that I am interested in, that even 3 years ago would have been crowds of 150-250 now their is 50-60 people.

*there, again. But yes, people change. I think you'll find this is the exact same in every minor city in the UK (obviously not so noticable in Glasgow/Edinburgh since the "scene" there has been big for decades).

• Upvote 1

Guest Gladstone

I wasn't involved in the "scene" of 8 years ago, but to be honest, I've heard pretty similar things from regular posters on this forum. Yeah, there are still loads of bands and loads of good bands at that, but it seems that Drakes is sorely missed as that was the sort of place that HH is talking about. Bands went to each other's gigs and were mates that partied together afterwards and all that sort of thing.

The internet is also probably "to blame" as well - in that, before the days of myspace and the like, the only way to really get your music heard was to play gigs and get out there with CDs to hand out / sell at your gigs etc. so there was more of a "music community" feel about it, whereas now, you can have your music out there to a potential audience of the whole world without ever having to meet anyone.

Society as a whole has changed dramatically since the inception of social networking sites and music "scenes" are probably found more online than in the real world. I'm too old to be part of the sort of music "scene" that HH describes because I'm married now and live out in the sticks and have to get to work in the morning etc etc. but I wish I'd started playing in bands when I was much younger (i.e. 8+ years ago) and been involved in the scene that HH describes because it sounds like a lot of fun. Instead, I was going out with uni and work mates to the shit places in Aberdeen like Priory etc. whilst trying to persuade everyone to go to places like Exodus and normally failing. I wasn't aware of Drakes until I went there to see a mate's band not long before it closed its doors. Think I was there twice in total (that's the Drakes on Shiprow, I never knew of the one up on Castlegate was it?).

EDIT: But saying all that - there are still loads of good gigs on in Aberdeen all the time. I wish I could go to more but not living in the city means it's really difficult.

• Upvote 1

<OPINION ALERT>

We need more arty/poppy/dancey bands like this. IRL are a breath of fresh air in a city full of metal bands, I think. Not that the metal/hard rock bands aren't GOOD (a lot of them are very very good) but it would be nice to see a diversion from that. The Shores are a young band who are playing the type of music I'm blabbing on about. And they're ace.

</OPINION ALERT>

Horses for courses - I'm not saying they are a bad band, just not to my taste is all. And off the top of my head they were the best example of a style of music which is pretty popular in the Aberdeen scene of which I'm not a fan.

YOU FUCKING CUNT!

xx

I can't really moan about the internet changing things (since it was an email that got me my foothold in Aberdeen's "scene" supporting Withered Hand) but yes, I can agree that's a major cause of the decline. But, unless someone wants to open up another Drakes (and no I haven't a clue what that is) I can't see it changing too soon I'm afraid.

Horses for courses - I'm not saying they are a bad band, just not to my taste is all. And off the top of my head they were the best example of a style of music which is pretty popular in the Aberdeen scene of which I'm not a fan.

YOU FUCKING CUNT!

xx

Cyberpolice getting a call, MATE.

Guest Gladstone

I've said this a million times before, but Indian Red Lopez are fucking great (in my opinion). But, that doesn't really do anything for the sort of "scene" that HH alludes to. They don't even come from Aberdeen - they're from a mix of Peterhead and Fetterangus. A few of them do live in Aberdeen right enough, but they practise out in Peterhead and have a regular clubnight in Peterhead with young bands playing live all the time. There's probably more of that type of "scene" in Peterhead than in Aberdeen because of what IRL do out there - there's only really one place to play live, so that's where they all go and they all know each other etc. It helps that Peterheeders are a bit mental too.

There are too many gigs now in my opinion. Seriously. Tunnels and Drummonds for example, there's three stages there with bands on almost every night, it has oversaturated the gig scene to fuck. It's not a big deal going to see a gig anymore because there are so many that there'll be another 3 or 4 tomorrow. And if your favourite band are playing on a Wednesday night and you can't quite be bothered hauling yourself along, just wait a couple of weeks and they'll probably be playing again.

/old guy

Well, there's definitely a "scene" being made here if that's any consolation. "Raped of our scene"? Dramarama!

Also, if by "scene" you mean having to put up with the company of a heap of folk you don't really like just because they also play musical instruments, then if it did exist and it's now expired I'm glad.