aberdeen-music

Tablet advice

Guest Gladstone

Guest Gladstone

Thinking about buying a tablet for the wife's Xmas, but no way am I shelling out for an iPad. She'd love an iPad but would also probably kick me in the balls for spending that amount of money on one...

Just did a very quick google search to see if there were many cheaper options.

The cheapest seems to be the Andy Pad, but the reviews show that it isn't that good.

Any recommendations/advice?

Not sure how much I'd be willing to spend - as little as possible! But I don't want it to be shit, because then that's just a waste of money.

All she really does is looks at facebook / checks her emails / and some pretty general web browsing. She always nicks my laptop to do it, so would be good if she could have something of her own and is easy/quick to pick up and use etc. If her Kindle was a bit more functional for web browsing that would have covered it, but it's incredibly slow and not really designed for web browsing.

Would the Andy Pad do the trick?

Guest Gladstone

Anyone any experience of Nokia N810?

It looks pretty good for the price - retailing at around £260-£270 but may be able to pick it up cheaper than that if Google "shopping" results are anything to go by.

Anyone any experience of Nokia N810?

It looks pretty good for the price - retailing at around £260-£270 but may be able to pick it up cheaper than that if Google "shopping" results are anything to go by.

I probably wouldn't be considering that if I were you. If it's the N810 that I'm thinking of it's outdated (pretty sure they've been out of production for nearly 3 years), has a slow processor and isn't really a great option at all for that sort of money. The Blackberry Playbook can be had for around £249 and although not perfect would be a better option than the Nokia. Have a look for the Asus Transformer, the 10 inch Samsung Galaxy Tab and the aforementioned Motorola Xoom if you're trying to spend less (an iPad 2 is £399 for a 16gb Wi-fi by the way, so for the extra £150-200 it's perhaps still an option worth considering). The three that I've mentioned there could be had for around £300 if you hunt about.

• Upvote 1

Guest Gladstone

Ah well - I put a cheeky offer in for the Nokia one and was surprised it was accepted...

Got it for £130 - might put it back on ebay if it's shit!!

I put that offer in fully expecting it not to be accepted and then see what I could get it for - seems the review page I was looking at was out of date! I thought everything on there was fairly up to date (and all the other reviews were from 2011, but then the Nokia one slipped in from 2008!!). Fucksake.

What are everyone's views on HP Touchpads? (not you Adam, I know what you'll say....)

Ah well - I put a cheeky offer in for the Nokia one and was surprised it was accepted...

Got it for £130 - might put it back on ebay if it's shit!!

I put that offer in fully expecting it not to be accepted and then see what I could get it for - seems the review page I was looking at was out of date! I thought everything on there was fairly up to date (and all the other reviews were from 2011, but then the Nokia one slipped in from 2008!!). Fucksake.

What are everyone's views on HP Touchpads? (not you Adam, I know what you'll say....)

I had an HP Touchpad for a while. For £89 they were definitely a massive bargain, although I'm pretty sure you're looking more £150-200 for them now. Even for that money it's going to be a far better bet than the Nokia. Although not as responsive as an iPad and a little laggier they're good devices. Very limited in terms of apps but for a web browser it does the job. Nice interface too. I'd definitely go for one of those over the Nokia if £150 is your budget.

Guest Gladstone

You seem pretty knowledgable...

I'm looking at £200 for an HP Touchpad I think - might try and get it for less.

However, what do you reckon of £130 for the Nokia? Is it worth that or is it just all round shit!? It got a really good review in 2008... It seems to do all the things I was hoping it would do and does it well enough according to that (out of date) review!

You seem pretty knowledgable...

I'm looking at £200 for an HP Touchpad I think - might try and get it for less.

However, what do you reckon of £130 for the Nokia? Is it worth that or is it just all round shit!? It got a really good review in 2008... It seems to do all the things I was hoping it would do and does it well enough according to that (out of date) review!

I've never used the Nokia but from looking at the specs and seeing it online I don't think it's really worth your money. Technology moves pretty quickly. I'm sure in 2008 it would have got great reviews but that was 3 years ago. To put it into perspective, the iPad wasn't released until 2010, and that's when the tablet market really kicked off.

If you hunt about (which if it's a Christmas present you probably don't have much time for sadly) you should be able to get an HP Touchpad for £150. Try Gumtree perhaps? Alternatively a small netbook would probably be a more sensible option, although I'm unsure on how much you'd be looking at for one of those. I'd expect £200 would get you a decent enough one though But that would definitely be a practical option for web browsing.

Guest Gladstone

So - the £130 Nokia tablet arrived today - just been playing about with it and setting it up. I think I might actually keep it and punt the HP Touchpad on ebay or something because it's really not that bad.

It does the things I wanted it to do. It connects to the internet, and it's pretty easy to set up yahoo mail on it, look at facebook, use google etc.

You can't "drag" the screen like you can with an iPad or Touchpad and there obviously won't be the same apps available on more popular / current formats, but I don't think my wife would be into apps anyway. The screen is a lot smaller but that is quite appealing because the Touchpad is fucking massive and heavy. This thing is a wee bitty bigger than an iPhone, with a slide out qwerty keyboard and a stylus to hit the smaller buttons that my fat fingers can't get to.

For £130, it's nae bad actually.