aberdeen-music

Getting more than you paid for .... ?

Michael

When was the last time you got more than you paid for ?

Last month I placed an online order an Epiphone Les Paul Custom from GuitarGuitar, price was £429. The guitar was delivered two days later.

The model I received has "coil splitting" and an ebony fretboard ... it also came with a fitted Epiphone hard case. I've had a nose around online and found that this spec is new for 2011 and is intended to differentiate the Custom from the Standard. Apparently a lot of companies haven't been updating their stock lists or web sites to reflect this new spec, the ones I saw that have listed this "new" spec are retailing for over £500.

I'm just wondering if I was sent this newer model in error ? either way I'm chuffed to buggery :o)

A few years ago, I bought Engl Screamer 50w 1x12 from Hot Rox for £499 and that included the Z5 footswitch. Turns out they were swamped with a pre-Xmas backlog, the Engl consignment was literally just in the door and whoever took the order sold it at cost + discount instead of retail + discount. I think I saved around £450 on the combined retail price!

Two words ... "Ya" and "Dancer"

Guest Gladstone

I was once walking down King Street just outside my flat. I think I had just left to go to work. I was completely skint. I mean, not a penny to my name, and had a week or so before pay day. So was probably living on rice or something. A £20 note floated right into my path, and that saw me through until pay day.

I know you're supposed to hand these things into the police but there's no way that would end up going anywhere but right into the police Xmas party fund, so it went straight into my pocket :)

Not quite "getting more than I paid for" but similar type story.

I once got change of a £20 when paying for overpriced steak baguette and drink with a £10 note at T In the Park - that was satisfying.

• Upvote 1

I found £60 on the floor of moshulu once. Likewise to your story, handing it in wouldn't have gone anywhere near to whoever lost that money so i kept it. I was a skint student at the top though, and that money actually bought me food for weeks on top of a few drinks that night. £60 never seems to get me that far any more.

I've never seen the point in handing in cash, i don't know how anyone can claim that. wallets on the other hand are a totally different story, even if it's gonna hundreds in it i will hand that in to the police.

Seriously? That £60 could have belonged to another "skint student" and been their money for the rest of the month. Perhaps if you'd have handed it into the bar, they might have asked there and gotten it back.

When was the last time you got more than you paid for ?

Last month I placed an online order an Epiphone Les Paul Custom from GuitarGuitar, price was £429. The guitar was delivered two days later.

The model I received has "coil splitting" and an ebony fretboard ... it also came with a fitted Epiphone hard case. I've had a nose around online and found that this spec is new for 2011 and is intended to differentiate the Custom from the Standard. Apparently a lot of companies haven't been updating their stock lists or web sites to reflect this new spec, the ones I saw that have listed this "new" spec are retailing for over £500.

I'm just wondering if I was sent this newer model in error ? either way I'm chuffed to buggery :eek:)

Inconsistent spec on the Epiphone Les Paul Customs of late for sure! Some are coming with ebony, though most are still using rosewood.

They all come with a hard case and coil splitting wiring for both humbuckers now though.

R&B have an alpine white Epi LPC in stock just now (£429 also). :)

I once found £30.00 pounds on the floor in Asda, Portlethen. I handed it to the Customer Services I gave them my name & address. Two days later I got a phone call from a woman, who handed me over to her 9 year old daughter, who thanked me so much for handing back her christmas present money that she had saved to buy her parents & friends presents. Made me greet so it did, I felt great about myself for weeks. :)

• Upvote 3

Man, everyone is fluking guitar gear and shit. The most I've ever gotten was at Pizza Hut years ago, when they brought out my Pizza and then 10 minutes later they brought me another one because they claimed the first one was over-done, but let me keep both.

The downside was I was with my then-missis and her mum, who had about 5 dogs or something, and her mum was all like "ah that's good, we can give the leftovers to the dogs". I thought "Fuck that" and shovelled down as much as my gut could carry. I'm not giving my freebie pizza to a pack of animals who eat their own sick.

I didn't feel well for a while. Worth it.

• Upvote 1

Guest Gladstone

At my mate's wedding, near the end of the night, one of our other mates apparently (I didn't see it), knocked back three random drinks sitting on the bar, before walking out. It turned out to be the round of drinks the groom's dad had just bought (for the groom's mum and dad, and I forget the third, let's say it was for the groom's uncle so that the story is complete).

Not really scoring freebies - just outright stealing someone else's stuff.

On that vein then, when I was a starving student back inthe 80's I discovered the puggie (Bandit) in my local pub paid out change of 50P when you put in a 10P coin. Some of these machines had a feature that it would give you one game and 40P back from a special 50P slot... I happened by mistake to put 10p in the 50p slot (which sounds a bit dirty) and I got the change plus a game. :woohoo: This was the 80's mind when 50p was a decent amount of money. So basically I emptied the machine of all its cash, not just from the 50P slot but also with genuine winnings ... so double bonus. :partyboy: Luckily the bar never twigged the fault that night. I went home with £25.00 and got free beer all night... Of course after my hangover cleared the next day I went straight back to the pub... to find the bandit was closed for repair ...:(

I did that with Domino's once, as they genuinely gaffed the order. When they delivered the new one, they asked for the old one back. Tight.

What did you say? Obviously the delivery driver is just following orders, so hopefully you went "If yer boss wants my pizza, he can pry it from my cold dead hands!"

• Upvote 1