aberdeen-music

Favourite records of 2011?

girl anachronism

Haven't really been too impressed with much this year, especially when in comparison to 2010. Liked Cloud Nothings. Real Estate and Widowspeak were alright listens but nothing special.

Just catching up on albums I've been meaning to get for the last few months - Spectrals, Shimmering Stars, Veronica Falls and Atlas Sound all downloading just now, so have high hopes for each of those.

I didn't buy too many new albums this year, really. I bought more old stuff that's new to me! But these guys kicked my ass:

Rustie - Glass Swords

Death Grips - Ex-Military

Fucked Up - David Comes to Life

Battles - Gloss Drop

And these guys let me down. Bad albums, get in your bed!

Das Racist - Relax (kinda meh after the ace mix tapes)

Atari Teenage Riot - This Is Hyperreal (Hilarious, but not intentionally so)

according to wmp, the
record is my most listened to record from this year. does that make it my favourite? it's fucking great anyway.

what else? that hasn't been mentioned? no love for

?
?
? Grouper? i dunno. i'm not making a list.

James Blake's album was a bit of a letdown. I loved it the first two or three listens but after that there's very little to come back to.

Wells & Moffat I've only heard the one song by them, the one with the video.

Not heard any Toro y Moi... ever. Huh.

Or Grouper. Who are they?

First couple of listens to James Blake I thought it was pretty cool but then I thought it was pretty boring. He did a great DJ set at Primavera though and he had some good stuff on the eps last year.

Grouper didn't do that much for me but I might still put it on occasionally when I'm about to sleep.

fucking Coldplay..........the Horrors were also 3rd, worst top 50 i have ever seen in my life to be honest.

I used to HATE The Horrors, then someone (Yogi maybe) said the new record was great. I reckoned there was no way they could be right but had a listen on Spotify anyway. They were right, can't believe it's the same band.

I used to HATE The Horrors, then someone (Yogi maybe) said the new record was great. I reckoned there was no way they could be right but had a listen on Spotify anyway. They were right, can't believe it's the same band.

If you like the new one there's not really any reason why you wouldn't like the second.

Some things jumping out of my iPod:

Bombay Bicycle Club - A Different Kind Of Fix

Bon Iver - Bon Iver

Cobra Kai - The Great Divide

Elbow - Build A Rocket Boys

Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues

Lady Gaga - Born This Way

Noah & The Whale - Last Night On Earth

The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - Belong

She & Him - A Very She & Him Christmas

I've been told the same, i will just never forgive the band for almost ruining the Arctic Monkeys gig at the EEC a few years ago. Although AM seemed quite happy to do that themselves by looking fucking bored!!