aberdeen-music

Aberdeen: The most miserable place to live in the UK?

Paranoid Android

I've only been living in Aberdeen for about 4 months now so this is a pretty interesting thread to me because so far I've found it shit compared to anywhere else I've ever lived. At the risk of being told to fuck off and move somewhere else, it just doesn't have as much to offer me as the other places I've lived (This is the sixth place I've lived for longer than a couple of months). I totally agree that the NE of Scotland is magic in terms of walking etc, which I love, but if you're happy to drive a couple of hours out of most Scottish cities you can do something pretty interesting.

To end this incoherent, half-cut addition, the reason I joined this forum is because I like music and going to gigs and for whatever reason there's just not as many gigs that I want to go to here and it's a fucking trek to Edinburgh / Glasgow. Also, I'm pretty sure (and hopeful) that there are many interesting places in Aberdeen that I am yet to discover.

This is probably the least interesting year for gigs in Aberdeen that I can remember for the past 6 or so, I think you have been pretty unlucky (although of course I have no idea what your personal tastes are).

I have actually struggled to think whether I have even attended 10 gigs this year to contribute to the thread on that subject, I really don't think I have.

Maybe I'm just getting less enthusiastic about attending small mid-week gigs than I used to be but very little takes my fancy.

That all said, I do miss the fact that as mentioned above, in Aberdeen you're never more than 10 minutes from a bit of peace and quiet. In Dublin the city centre is so fucking noisy and busy it can be horrifying, especially at this time of year, and you can get on a bus for a half hour, get off and it's still fucking noisy and deafening :-/ Plus Friday and Saturday nights most of the pubs are so busy you can barely even get in to most of them, and you've no chance of getting a table unless you're in a pub by like 7.

I feel the same about just about anywhere. Aberdeen especially though. The couple of times I've been out with the missis for a meal, then we've tried to find a pub afterwards, everywhere has been heaving, so we usually just end up going home. The Illicit Still is the worst. That place is pretty roomy, but they must only have about 10 tables in there. Waste of space.

I feel the same about just about anywhere. Aberdeen especially though. The couple of times I've been out with the missis for a meal, then we've tried to find a pub afterwards, everywhere has been heaving, so we usually just end up going home. The Illicit Still is the worst. That place is pretty roomy, but they must only have about 10 tables in there. Waste of space.

You need to get yourself to the Prince of Wales. A chair for every arse.

This is probably the least interesting year for gigs in Aberdeen that I can remember for the past 6 or so, I think you have been pretty unlucky (although of course I have no idea what your personal tastes are).

Hopefully 2012 will prove to be better then! I've been to a few good gigs since I've moved up and missed a couple through laziness so I probably shouldn't grumble.

• Upvote 1

Standing at the bus stop the other day I noticed a display on the timetable- a terrible slogan for "outsiders"- it was "Aberdeen, our City"- kind of like this thread- it's ours and if you dinnae like it you can fuck off.

Aberdeen is okay, I kinda like the grimness- it's full of cool folk- but most folk are dick heads- which is like everywhere.

I would actively "unlike" this thread given the option.

Standing at the bus stop the other day I noticed a display on the timetable- a terrible slogan for "outsiders"- it was "Aberdeen, our City"- kind of like this thread- it's ours and if you dinnae like it you can fuck off.

Aberdeen is okay, I kinda like the grimness- it's full of cool folk- but most folk are dick heads- which is like everywhere.

I would actively "unlike" this thread given the option.

Aye, but you're racist so you can fuck off. :up:

I stand by my assertion that there's not all that much to do in Aberdeen. We have some nice parks, some semi-decent pubs, a beach, a Maritime Museum... ummm, what else? Union Square?

I feel that if I want to do something different with my day, I have to leave the city for one of the surrounding towns. That's a benefit of the city, actually: there are lots of interesting towns and villages around. There's not much going on in terms of the arts, though. Maritime aside, there aren't many places I can go to learn about Aberdeen's history, its people, culture, etc. I'm rarely bored here because I'll get a good group of people together and make my own fun if I want something to do, but it'd be nice to have a few more things to do that don't involve leaving the city.

I stand by my assertion that there's not all that much to do in Aberdeen. We have some nice parks, some semi-decent pubs, a beach, a Maritime Museum... ummm, what else? Union Square?

I feel that if I want to do something different with my day, I have to leave the city for one of the surrounding towns. That's a benefit of the city, actually: there are lots of interesting towns and villages around. There's not much going on in terms of the arts, though. Maritime aside, there aren't many places I can go to learn about Aberdeen's history, its people, culture, etc. I'm rarely bored here because I'll get a good group of people together and make my own fun if I want something to do, but it'd be nice to have a few more things to do that don't involve leaving the city.

A music scene with a wealth of venues, independent and chain cinemas (4 in total), the art gallery and peacock visual arts, a top division football team, reasonably abundant and decent quality sporting events/teams/venues, historic buildings and architecture etc etc

• Upvote 2

You and some others have mentioned once or twice that you'd like "more to do" in Aberdeen. What sort of things do you have in mind?

Aberdeen is a small city, people in many countries wouldn't call it a city at all. In terms of "things to do" it's always going to suffer if compared against bigger cities.

Nah, there's plenty of things to do in Aberdeen. It's just plain old moan about stuff that you don't notice 'cause it's right under your nose-itis

• Upvote 3

Guest Gladstone

Yeah - there's plenty to do for a city of its size, but I think what he's saying is if you compare it to bigger cities like Edinburgh and Glasgow (which is what people always do in these types of arguments), Aberdeen is bound to have less things to do than those far bigger cities. That's not to say there isn't enough to do - just less than Glasgow and Edinburgh.

People moan about nothing to do in Aberdeen all the time, which is why it's so fucking annoying if you play a gig at the Tunnels on a Tuesday night but the same people won't come because it's a Tuesday night. A major problem is that people don't seem to have the ability to go out without getting pished. You don't have to get pished because there's a bar there. Fuck, you don't even have to drink any alcohol at all. Just go along, enjoy the music, and get home at a decent hour so you're good to go in the morning.

That's just one example - obviously not everyone is into gigs, particularly not with bands they've never heard of, but there are cinemas, theatres, etc as well as all the other things that Alkaline mentioned. But, people are too lazy to go out and do it, and a lot of the time, the only thing they ever do out in Aberdeen is go to pubs and clubs and get pished. It's their choice to go to the same places and do the same things every weekend, but then they moan about there being nothing to do.

• Upvote 1

I'm not saying there isn't stuff to do but it's blatantly obvious that generally larger cities have more to do. I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise really.

Not necessarily, you tend to get plenty of exactly the same thing to do i.e. multiples of everything with varying quality so there's more choice in the same field but i wouldn't say there is substantially more to do in bigger cities and you very often have to travel further afield to get to where you want to go across large cities which can be as much of a pain in the ass as not having the choice in the first place.

I spend a lot of time in London now and have lived in some big cities in Australia and i can honestly say that Aberdeen is as good a place as any for things to do to satisfy my needs both personally and professionally.

• Upvote 1

Guest Gladstone
i can honestly say that Aberdeen is as good a place as any for things to do to satisfy my needs both personally and professionally.

That's because there are so many strip clubs in close proximity to each other though, isn't it?

• Upvote 1