aberdeen-music

Aberdeen: The most miserable place to live in the UK?

Paranoid Android

Guest davetherave

Agree with you Old Gold, I was based near Eindhoven for a year and had some great nights out in Roermond and Arnhem. Other fav cities I've experienced would include Copenhagen (expensive, but fun), Edinburgh, Kyoto, Toronto, Budapest and Caracas (theres a reason they win miss world almost every year ;)) . But the grass isnt always greener on the other side of the world, I prefer Aberdeen, despite the dreich weather :)

I can only imagine that those who hate Aberdeen have moved up here and have a shitty job or don't have a lot of friends/family in or around the city. I think Aberdeen is a very easy target for people who are actually upset about something completely different. It's certainly not the most inspiring place in the world, I wish there was more to do and I find it pretty bloody grim at times, but I love living in Aberdeen because I know so many great people up here. It'd take something pretty drastic for me to want to leave, as much as I love the idea of spending some time in Berlin or Edinburgh.

Amsterdam is totally fucking rotten though. Screw that place.

One place I definitely want to live is Portland, OR. Fucking LOVED it there. Although maybe after a while it would grate on me. But I doubt it. Friendly city, lovely places to visit, best Thai food I have ever eaten and I have friends there too.

Here really good reports about it there, apparently theres a great music scene there that is turning into a bit of a modern-day Seattle by all accounts? in a - "Lets go to one of Americas less fashionable cities and start a rock band" type way. Sounds good! .....Elliott Smith was from there too i think, so kinda stands to reason :)

It's certainly not the most inspiring place in the world, I wish there was more to do.

This is the one I don't get, and this isn't aimed at you Murr.

I know loads of people say this.... nothing to do. Absolute nonsense, you obviously aren't looking hard enough or have no real interests or hobbies. What are you going to do in any other city?

Offshore workers are notoriously bad for this. Here's an idea lads, stay out the pub for one night and then you might be sober enough to think about something to do rather than head out on the lash again. I want to move somewhere else .... fuck all to dae here min. Aye! You go to Glasgow and sit in the pub the whole day there instead. Brilliant!

Good and bad points about any city, I think Aberdeen holds up quite well in the grand scheme of things though.

Too fucking cold today though (grumble, moan etc).

• Upvote 1

On a bright summer day, Aberdeen's about as beautiful a city as you'll find anywhere. The granite makes the place shimmer and there are some fanastic buildings.

Also, as an aside - Karma's talk of Thai food made me think of the bit in Talladega Nights where Ricky Bobby/Cal Naughton Jr and Jean Gerard are arguing about their respective country's contributions to cuisine etc!

• Upvote 1

Well get it scrubbed then!!

As for Glasgow, I lived there for 5 years and was out and about all the time and I saw trouble only a couple of times in that period. The West End is awesome and I found it to be a great place to live overall. Been in Edinburgh for the last five and although I initially didn't like the place, it's grown on me massively.

In conclusion, I'm not a massive whiner like some of you dicks.

• Upvote 4

I like the whole of Scotland. Each city for different reasons. Lived in Aberdeen and Edinburgh and spent enough time in Glasgow to get a sense of the place and each place has different plus points. One thing about Aberdeen that often gets overlooked by natives is the fact it's fucking amazing if ur an outdoorsy type. Ski stations are close, fishing, climbing, hiking... All that good stuff. One thing that bugs me is the lack of cohesion when it comes to the music scene. Surely most promoters are fighting for the pretty much the same audience yet gigs get stacked up to the point where very few are busy. I used to hate the 5 man semi-circle effect at tunnels and drummonds, where a handful of folk turn up. It seems odd that given the small gig-going population that there are ever multiple gigs on the same night.

I think Aberdeen is a very easy target for people who are actually upset about something completely different.

I think this is the case for me, to be honest. Nothing too emo, I just get pretty down in the dumps around this time of year. I'm usually tip top by the end of December though, once I'm used to the darkness and cold. I think I have a romantic notion of living in the central belt, because the majority of my pals are down there, but really I've got everything going for me up here. I'd be a miserable fucker wherever I was!

Its the kids man. We can't relate to the kids.

The quiet gigs do make me sad, but every so often you get an absolute belter. Some of the best gigs I've been to were in aberdeen.

I can't really complain though, as I don't go to enough gigs. There's not enough bands I like though.

Guest Bob Knob

Aberdeen as a city is really nice. It's most of the regulars who populate it that let the place down. Ever caught the No. 3 on a Tuesday morning in the winter? Fuck that. It's full of old people complaining about "the polish" or a bus driver who looks at you as though you've just finger banged his cat. Take a short bus ride out to Stonehaven or Deeside and you'll realise that Aberdeen is actually quite a nice place to be in/get to a surrounding area.

The Winter Gardens? beautiful.

Don't let the Poundland brigade get you down.

(That wasn't a dig at poor people by the way, more the granite city minks that think they're "entitled" to "compensation", but there's another pet hate.)

Guest Bob Knob
Folk that catch the bus are fucking minging 90%. I hate catching the bus. But running a car's too expensive.

I agree but that doesn't mean I should have to sit through half an hour of racism and some cunt sitting at the back listening to Scooter (That's what the dregs still listen to these days, right? ..... Right?).