aberdeen-music

So...let's chat TVs, PS3s and audio systems...

Adam Easy Wishes

Right.

I am moving into a new place shortly and want it to be tech as fuck. Not strictly true, but I would like to set it up in such a way that I can do various things, however I am unsure if any of these things are possible.

To summarise, I would like the following:

Lounge (downstairs)

TV

Computer of sorts (to store music on and play music/DVDs from)

Sky box

Spare audio input (for visitors' iPods/laptops/whatever)

Amp/speakers

I am not fussed about surround sound in the slightest, and happy with the speakers in the actual TV for watching Sky, and the amp/speakers for everything else

Spare room (upstairs)

TV

PS3

Sky box (multiroom)

Spare audio input

Amp/speakers

Two key things - I would like;

a) to be able to play the PS3 on the TV downstairs. I'm led to believe that the wireless controller's range will be sufficient, but how do I get the picture downstairs? I would ideally like this arrangement to be hard-wired in if that's even possible.

b) to be able to play the music from the computer downstairs on the amp/speakers upstairs. Also no idea if this is even possible. I would be using some kind of wireless device to control the actual playing of the choons so no need to be able to see a visual input from the computer anywhere, just the audio signal. Are there wireless solutions for this that are worth considering or am I best to get it all wired up?

Any advice/abuse welcome (I'm looking at you, Alkaline ;) ).

Cheers!

:up:

Right.

I am moving into a new place shortly and want it to be tech as fuck. Not strictly true, but I would like to set it up in such a way that I can do various things, however I am unsure if any of these things are possible.

To summarise, I would like the following:

Lounge (downstairs)

TV

Computer of sorts (to store music on and play music/DVDs from)

Sky box

Spare audio input (for visitors' iPods/laptops/whatever)

Amp/speakers

I am not fussed about surround sound in the slightest, and happy with the speakers in the actual TV for watching Sky, and the amp/speakers for everything else

Spare room (upstairs)

TV

PS3

Sky box (multiroom)

Spare audio input

Amp/speakers

Two key things - I would like;

a) to be able to play the PS3 on the TV downstairs. I'm led to believe that the wireless controller's range will be sufficient, but how do I get the picture downstairs? I would ideally like this arrangement to be hard-wired in if that's even possible.

b) to be able to play the music from the computer downstairs on the amp/speakers upstairs. Also no idea if this is even possible. I would be using some kind of wireless device to control the actual playing of the choons so no need to be able to see a visual input from the computer anywhere, just the audio signal. Are there wireless solutions for this that are worth considering or am I best to get it all wired up?

Any advice/abuse welcome (I'm looking at you, Alkaline ;) ).

Cheers!

:up:

A) HDMI splitter to cat5 baluns (cat5 cabling to downstairs- you need to cat5 cables for 1 HDMI) then cat5 baluns to hdmi to downstairs TV (there's a lot about this sort of stuff online and it sounds more comlicated than it is)

B) Apple TV with the audio out connected to the Amp?

Cheers guys.

Phil, to clarify the path would be like this..?

PS3 > HDMI splitter > upstairs TV HDMI in

HDMI splitter (from above) > Cat5 Balun > Cat5 leads (for the distance) > Cat5 Balun > downstairs TV

Would the differing 'set ups' between the two TVs vs the PS3 output cause issues? I may not have worded this question well, sorry.

I'm not Appled up at present but considering a Mini Mac or similar for my downstairs computer requirement. I helped my dad put together a similar system at his place and it works really well for what he needs.

Cheers guys.

Phil, to clarify the path would be like this..?

PS3 > HDMI splitter > upstairs TV HDMI in

HDMI splitter (from above) > Cat5 Balun > Cat5 leads (for the distance) > Cat5 Balun > downstairs TV

Would the differing 'set ups' between the two TVs vs the PS3 output cause issues? I may not have worded this question well, sorry.

I'm not Appled up at present but considering a Mini Mac or similar for my downstairs computer requirement. I helped my dad put together a similar system at his place and it works really well for what he needs.

Yeah, that path would work fine.

If one of your TVs is 720p set the resolution output from the PS3 to 1080i if you have issues as most 720p TVs will accept a 1080i signal and downscale it to fit the panel. Quite a lot of 720p TVs can cope with receiving a 1080p signal and downscaling it as well though so you may be ok regardless.

I was just meaning that i thought you had iTunes so you would be bale to get easy access to all your music localised through the wireless set-up on Apple TV. Twonky media server working with PS3 would probably be ok but i think you'd get a more seemless system if you used an Apple iOS system if you're already using iTunes.

• 4 months later...
Guest Gladstone

I didn't want to create an entire new thread for this, so this seems like about the best place to put it.

I'm looking for a new TV for my living room. I have quite a big living room, so the TV should be fairly big, but not ridiculous. I'm not putting a big fuck off plasma screen on the wall or anything like that.

Recommend me a good TV for good money. (By that I don't mean cheap - just good value!)

Let's pretend that money is no object (it is obviously) just so I can see what is out there for what sort of money. I don't have Sky, let alone Sky HD or any of that nonsense and not really interested in a 3D TV, but feel free to fire them in as suggestions anyway...

I have this tv - http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/lcd-tv/LE46D580K2KXXU-spec

It's not 3D or Internet ready, but you can connect a USB drive/hard drive to it or hook it up to your network to stream files (plays all video files including .mkv files) has ample HDMI ports for different things also scart and includes freeview HD (if you can get it). It is an older version, but the newer series of sets will be pretty much the same.