aberdeen-music

Bands Bucket List

Lemonade

Which bands are on your bucket list, bands you've never seen but really want to see before you (or they) die?

I've been lucky enough to have seen most of my favourite bands but here's a few I'd still like to add:

Weezer

Blondie

The White Stripes (I'm sure they'll reform at some point)

The Who

Daft Punk

Beck

Coldplay

Aerosmith

Snoop Dogg

Tom Petty

Rod Stewart

Slingshot Dakota

Beau Navire

Retox

Bad Religion (with Brett)

Rancid

Built To Spill

Ampere was on this list until I just recently saw them at Fest. Properly unbelievable.

I saw Rancid at Leeds one year, around 2000ish, me and my mate had spent the day just sitting on the hill in front of the main stage watching the bands and drinking beers, we said whoever the next band is we're going to go down the front and jump about a bit. So we did and out came Rancid, neither of us had ever heard them before and didn't know what to expect, it was absolute mayhem! Huge mosh pits and circle pits, bodies flying everywhere, sky full of bottles, I got the absolute shit leathered out of me. Still one of my all time best gig experiences, and undoubtedly the most painful :) I bought And Out Come The Wolves as soon as I got home.

• Upvote 1

Which bands are on your bucket list, bands you've never seen but really want to see before you (or they) die?

I've been lucky enough to have seen most of my favourite bands but here's a few I'd still like to add:

Weezer

Blondie

The White Stripes (I'm sure they'll reform at some point)

The Who

Daft Punk

Beck

Coldplay

Aerosmith

Snoop Dogg

Tom Petty

Rod Stewart

Incidentally Weezer and Beck both played at Leeds one year when I was there and for some reason or another I didn't go and see them (or I did but can't remember because I was wasted). Awful. Also, in one of the worst decisions I've ever made in my entire life, at Reading 2000 Elliott Smith played in one of the tents. At the time I was about 200 metres away at the main stage watching fucking Slipknot.

If this can only include bands/artists that are currently active or potentially still active (who knows these days, right?), then:

Built to Spill

Guided by Voices

Neutral Milk Hotel

Japandroids

Low

Red House Painters

Parts & Labor

Wilderness

Male Bonding

John Knox Sex Club

Hammock

Fuck Buttons

Tom Petty

Earth

Grouper

Chad VanGaalen

Bruce Springsteen

Pixies

I've been kind of lucky and managed to see a lot of bands I would most want to see (Godspeed! You Black Emperor, Mogwai, Nick Cave, U2, Low, Handsome Family), with Tom Waits and Roky Erickson being particular high-points of recent years.

Currently my wish list is -

Dirty Three

Earth

The Rolling Stones (been reading Keef's autobiography and it has made me want to go see them before they call it a day but not sure that is going to ever be an option now, 50 year anniversary next year but jagger has been denying anything will happen. Can imagine it would cost a small fortune as well).

Managing to knock Clutch off the list in January assuming it goes ahead. In support to Thin Lizzy however which isn't ideal but hey ho.

David Bowie

Guided By Voices

Pixies

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (saw Grinderman in May and that was spectacular, but Bad Seeds would be something else)

Neutral Milk Hotel

The Mountain Goats

Daft Punk

Sebastien Tellier

Beastie Boys (saw them when I was 16 and as good as it was, I think I'd appreciate them more now)

Comet Gain (was cheated out of seeing them at Primavera this year!)

Daniel Johnston

Jonathan Richman

The Raincoats (despite hearing negative reviews of their last ATP performance)

Tom Waits

I know there are tonnes more, but when talking about this the other day, I couldn't think of them. Also, going through my iTunes to remind me, I realised I've already seen a lot of bands I never imagined I would. Lucky twat.

I saw Weezer at Leeds Fest in 2002. It was a greatest hits set from Blue, Pinkerton and the singles from Green/Maladroit. I spent the whole set of the White Stripes ploughing my way to the front, and then pogoed my head off when I got there. Yeah.

Fuck i was there in 2002. This means I've also missed the White Stripes, another band off my bucket list.