aberdeen-music

Can anyone recomend a good video cam to record live gigs?

Drummerboy

Been thinking recently I want to invest in a decent cam corder to record live gigs etc. Wanted to know if anyone could recomend a good all in one digital video cam that will have decent sound quality even if you just plug it in and record at a live gig as most usual ways people tend to capture live gigs on youtube using their phone or a digital cam that has a recording option, the sound is always terrible! I know some have the ability to plug in a mic to get a better sound from the recording? Anyway feel free to recommend some.

http://www.which.co.uk/technology/camcorders/reviews-ns/zoom-q3-hd/

Pretty sure this is theonly one that's going to get you decent picture and sound.

If you're only open to a flip-style camcorder. The optical zoom and sensors on traditional camcorders are usually better than on those things. Most conventional camcorders by Sony and Panasonic have really good mics and HD video modes in them these days and they aren't physically imposing.

If you were to ask me which one i would recommend that we (Sony) do i'd say the HDR-CX115 is a great budget HD camcorder (never seen a bad review) and can be picked up for around £220 (+ £50 cashback at the moment). Although that particular model is only 1080/50i rather than the 1080/50p Zoom because it has a larger more efficient sensor the image quality in low-light is a lot better (i've used both). If you want a 1080/50p version of that the HDR-CX130 is available for around £250 (+ £30 cashback at the moment) with the added bonus of a 30x optical zoom and a wide angle lens. You would need a memory card too.

I don't know as much about the Panasonic cameras kicking about at the moment (HDC-SD40 and HDC-SD80) but i'd expect them to have similar spec models worth looking at as well.

For me (certainly for what you're using it for) i'd be looking at the low-level light shooting quality as with much smaller sensors you end up with a lot of visible noise on the end-product. Having a good optical zoom is a god-send too if you can't get right up at the front (digital zoom will just cause more noise on the picture and cause other unnecessary pixellation). Sound quality on most mid-entry priced traditional camcorders will be good enough to shoot music but there are models further up both the Sony and Panasonic ranges that would allow for external mics.

Like buying any sort of electrical item i would fully advise going and having a look at stuff in person so you can get a feel for it and see it working.

(For what it's worth the Zoom Bigsby recommended is a pretty decent pocket-recorder but you can get better performance for around the same price- all depends on the physical size of the recorder you want really)

Can you get better sound recording though? Seems to me the Zoom is a top audio recorder with the bonus of HD video.

I actually thought the recording for sound on that Zoom thing was just ok. It's not bad though and i think that the mics in conventional mid-entry priced camcorders are pretty close to the quality of the Zoom (if not better in some cases) with much better video. It depends what your priority is i guess.