aberdeen-music

Blues/Rock night

Drummerboy

Hi all

I just wanted to post this here to hear peoples thoughts on the issue. It accured to me there is not many, if any, good regular Blues/Rock nights that are regular in Aberdeen. When I was growing up down south there was a host of pubs that ususally had this sort of thing on a weekly basis. It was always free and ran by local musicans for local musicans. I have always had the feeling Aberdeen has been more of a metal city than Blues or Rock so I just wondered if there would ever be interest for such an event if one was to ever get going?

Cheers

D

Hi all

I just wanted to post this here to hear peoples thoughts on the issue. It accured to me there is not many, if any, good regular Blues/Rock nights that are regular in Aberdeen. When I was growing up down south there was a host of pubs that ususally had this sort of thing on a weekly basis. It was always free and ran by local musicans for local musicans. I have always had the feeling Aberdeen has been more of a metal city than Blues or Rock so I just wondered if there would ever be interest for such an event if one was to ever get going?

Cheers

D

I say a big yes to this.... bluesy/rock nights need a bit more exposure imo..... not everyone is into punky/grungy/shoegazey/metal/screamo/rapping...... it would be a nice breath of fresh air !

:cool:

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm just putting it out to see what sort of response there is. Somewhere like the Blue Lamp would be perfect and one the members of my band I think knows the manager. The main thing with anything like this is that it needs regular commitment from a core group of people so I guess my next question would be if it was set up would you turn up and would you play?

Evening chaps,

I'm just posting on behalf of the musical instuments shop that I work for ( ii music ) to offer our support to such a weekly Blues/Rock night. We're still very new to the area, but we're keen to support the local music scene by giving a helping hand to events like this. We might, for example, also be able to help promote it for you (i.e. produce flyers, posters, advertising on our website etc.) There might even be the possibility of the odd in-store performance here at our store in the Academy - we deliberately had a small stage built in our shop to encourage local musicians to play in-store from time to time. If you're interested in any of this, feel free to contact us at the store or via our website ( www.iimusicstops.com ),

Also, with regards to venues - what about the likes of Ma Cameron's?

• Upvote 2

any developments on the venue front.... dont let this fizzle out.

Dont worry I am certainly not letting this one go! My friend in my band is still trying to speak to Sandy at the Blue lamp about it but its all about timing etc. I think it would be hard to get anything kicked off before the year is out but with any luck I will hopfully have some development soon so we can start to plan an advertise it ready for a fresh start early in the new year and we need to get everyone who likes this sort of music to turn up and turn up often as thats the only way it will survive!

Evening chaps,

I'm just posting on behalf of the musical instuments shop that I work for ( ii music ) to offer our support to such a weekly Blues/Rock night. We're still very new to the area, but we're keen to support the local music scene by giving a helping hand to events like this. We might, for example, also be able to help promote it for you (i.e. produce flyers, posters, advertising on our website etc.) There might even be the possibility of the odd in-store performance here at our store in the Academy - we deliberately had a small stage built in our shop to encourage local musicians to play in-store from time to time. If you're interested in any of this, feel free to contact us at the store or via our website ( www.iimusicstops.com ),

Also, with regards to venues - what about the likes of Ma Cameron's?

Thanks for your support

I must admit I have not been down to the store yet but as a drummer im not sure you would have many shiny drum like things to play with but its good your supporting it. I know Jamie who used to work in Bruce Millers works there right? Might pop in with Dino (my former partner in crime in the Son Henry Band) to have a look soon and see what you guys can do for promoting this (posters etc)

Thanks for your support

I must admit I have not been down to the store yet but as a drummer im not sure you would have many shiny drum like things to play with but its good your supporting it. I know Jamie who used to work in Bruce Millers works there right? Might pop in with Dino (my former partner in crime in the Son Henry Band) to have a look soon and see what you guys can do for promoting this (posters etc)

Hi Drummerboy,

Feel free to come in for a blether and we'll see what we can do for you. As for drum gear, we don't currently have much in the way of it, but it's definitely something we're looking into - we've got a whole middle section to our store opening very soon, to which we're adding electric pianos, woodwind and brass instruments and possibly even some drum and percussion gear. Have a Butcher's at our website in the meantime ( www.iimusicshops.com ) - I did stick in onto my previous post, but I mis-spelled (or is it mis-spelt?) it (D'oh!).

• Upvote 1

Hi Drummerboy,

Feel free to come in for a blether and we'll see what we can do for you. As for drum gear, we don't currently have much in the way of it, but it's definitely something we're looking into - we've got a whole middle section to our store opening very soon, to which we're adding electric pianos, woodwind and brass instruments and possibly even some drum and percussion gear. Have a Butcher's at our website in the meantime ( www.iimusicshops.com ) - I did stick in onto my previous post, but I mis-spelled (or is it mis-spelt?) it (D'oh!).

Yes I will come in on the weekend. In terms of drum gear you should defiantly stock some. Even if it's the basics like sticks and skins to start that would be cool as people always need those:) Then maybe add snare drums etc as they don't take up much space shop floor wise.

Will see you soon!

D