aberdeen-music

Looking for a high output bridge pup

EnkaiScreamer

Money isnt a problem, i could buy 3 or 4 bareknuckles if i wanted, but i dont like spending lots of money :up:

Ive read a lot about the warpig since keeno has been telling my about his ibanez, i think these are what im looking for, and 90 sheets isnt bad for something that will probably last a good few years!

i like 100 tonnes of win! :)

• Upvote 1

A Warpig should essentially last you a lifetime, unless you spill something on it, or your guitar gets thrown into a woodchipper. Excellent quality. They come with a pretty good warranty too, as long as you buy brand new.

SH-6 trembucker is the same as a SH-6 yeah, but a Trembucker has the pole pieces spaced every so slightly wider apart, as some (but not all) Trem-equipped guitars have a slightly wider bridge, by about 3mm or something, so a standard humbucker's pole pieces won't align with the strings on a trem-spaced guitar exactly. If your guitar has a trem on it, get a ruler and measure between the first pole and the last pole. If it's roughly 50mm, then you can go ahead and get any standard humbucker. If it's 53mm, then you'll need a trembucker/wide spaced humbucker.

Unless your guitar doesn't have a trem, then all that is useless to you. But yeah, the SH-6 is good. Not too far away from the SDJB, but has a bit more of a bark to it. I'd still opt for a Warpig over that though, personally. If hot output is what you're after, then there's not many pickups as readily available as the Warpig which will give you more output. The Bridge DC is 21.5Kohms, which is ridiculous. The only one I know that is hotter is the Kent Armstrong Motherbucker which is a monsterous 27.5Kohms, which has 2 pairs of doubled up blades, rather than pole pieces. They go on Ebay for around £60 too, so reasonably cheap, and just absolutely daft. Probably more suited to heavy feedback and blown-out Stoner rock fuzz than tight bottom end metal chugs though, I think. I've only had a quick go on one. I've never owned one. They are a bit too silly, even for me.

A Warpig should essentially last you a lifetime, unless you spill something on it, or your guitar gets thrown into a woodchipper. Excellent quality. They come with a pretty good warranty too, as long as you buy brand new.

SH-6 trembucker is the same as a SH-6 yeah, but a Trembucker has the pole pieces spaced every so slightly wider apart, as some (but not all) Trem-equipped guitars have a slightly wider bridge, by about 3mm or something, so a standard humbucker's pole pieces won't align with the strings on a trem-spaced guitar exactly. If your guitar has a trem on it, get a ruler and measure between the first pole and the last pole. If it's roughly 50mm, then you can go ahead and get any standard humbucker. If it's 53mm, then you'll need a trembucker/wide spaced humbucker.

Unless your guitar doesn't have a trem, then all that is useless to you. But yeah, the SH-6 is good. Not too far away from the SDJB, but has a bit more of a bark to it. I'd still opt for a Warpig over that though, personally. If hot output is what you're after, then there's not many pickups as readily available as the Warpig which will give you more output. The Bridge DC is 21.5Kohms, which is ridiculous. The only one I know that is hotter is the Kent Armstrong Motherbucker which is a monsterous 27.5Kohms, which has 2 pairs of doubled up blades, rather than pole pieces. They go on Ebay for around £60 too, so reasonably cheap, and just absolutely daft. Probably more suited to heavy feedback and blown-out Stoner rock fuzz than tight bottom end metal chugs though, I think. I've only had a quick go on one. I've never owned one. They are a bit too silly, even for me.

It will be 53mm spacing on an RG1570. However it's not actually that important to have them perfectly aligned over the center of the pole pieces AFAIK. You could get away with buying a 50mm one second hand. The two can be interchanged the two with no difference in sound really (I've done if before on guitars accidentally and didn't notice a difference- the affect is apparently noticeable on single coils due to not having the hum cancelled out). Each pole piece has a magnetic field around it, so as long as the string sits in this area, it need not sit perfectly over the pole piece. Someone once told me the easiest way to check that was to stick paper over your pickups and get iron filings, the pattern of them will correspond to the magnetic field of each pole piece, so just make sure the strings would sit in that field.

Matt Bellamy of Muse used motherbuckers in some of his guitars..... he had them switched to Bareknuckle Warpigs though ;) The motherbucker has 8 wires as well which is ridiculous really.. I did actually find something hotter than a motherbucker, can't remember the exact name though. I think that was 31Kohms?

Also I think the pickups he already has in are hotter than Black Dogs so I'd imagine you can have iT :p

Deathbucker is a great name. It's fuck-ugly though isn't it? So is the Motherbucker actually.

I didn't know that the pole spacing wasn't that imperative to the tone. When I got a Miracle Man in my old Pacifica which was Trem spaced, I spoke to BK on the phone to talk about what I needed, and they made out it was pretty important, so I've always thought it was. I've never tried a mismatched one though, so I wouldn't know.

I believe Matt Bellamy has his own signature BK now. They don't sell them though.

I believe Matt Bellamy has his own signature BK now. They don't sell them though.

http://www.mansonguitarworks.com/index.cfm/categories/pickups-3 They sell them on the Manson website. Didn't know he had his own sig bareknuckles but before that he definitely had warpigs replace the m=bucker (as it is now known - mightymite sell cheap pickups called the motherbucker which are different to the KA ones) in all of his personal guitars.

FUCKING RIGHT! cheers buddy! :)

You'd have to get the sets there. The single pick up is long leg which is really meant for old style Les Pauls with the huge pickup cavities. Not sure if you could trim the legs or not but you don't want the pickups too close to the strings.

The set only has 2 wires on each pickup so unless you manually split the wires into 2 each then you couldn't use them for coil tapping btw (probably not a huge issue but worth mentioning).

Sorry that it's a bit off topic, but has anyone tried any of the Bare Knuckle P90s? P90s are usually my weapon of choice and I just got a new Les Paul with them, but I want something in the bridge that's a bit hotter and more suited for making nasty noises. They've got a Warpig 90 available which could be absolutely perfect. Anyone had any experience with them? I'd imagine fitting a regular Warpig into a body that's cut for P90s would be an absolutely unbelievable faff, and devalue the guitar quite a bit, but one of those in the bridge with a classic warm P90 in the neck would be such a versatile setup.

I do the same. reach for the string nearest me trying to tune it and wonder why it's having no effect... oh fuck the tuners are the other way around. Thankfully I only have 1 guitar with it though. Not a fan of 3x3 tuners either for similar reasons although not quite as easy to mess up.

i enjoy.

The Bare Knuckle Aftermath sounds great. I've just ordered myself a calibrated set. :) At £129 each (and with a Jensen capacitor at £9 to go with it, 550K CTS pots, 500K push pull pots and new jack socket) it isn't a cheap way to get that sound. I'm sure it will be worth it though. A nice change from EMG 81s in that particular guitar (I have pretty much 2 of the same guitar so one will be retaining the EMGs and the other will have this new configuration). :)

[this post should be in ace-ic]