aberdeen-music

youthmovie soundtrack strategie, red jetson and dedalus on wednesday!!! wowza!!

framheim

that's right folks playing just for YOU in dr drakes on wednesday night(that's tomorrow fact fans). youthmovie soundtrack strategies are currently wowing everyone with their posty-rocky shenanigans in a very rock kinda way and have even garnered a kerrang single of the week along the way and some very kind words indeed. their new album is out in the shops now on fierce panda records.

red jetson are wowing similar audiences in a similar way, apparently like explosions in the sky so prepare to be wowed to your very core.

dedalus, that's us. we love you, so love us back. we will be playing a brand new(kinda) song!! never before played live before, we were gonna play it at gavfest but it's a tricky one and someone(*ahem*steven*cough cough*) was too drunk to even attempt attempting it. incidentally our debut ep is also available in the shops(and on the night) through nomad am records and is a split with the rather delicious politik. there should be t-shirts available on the night too.

please come, cause it will rock and if no one comes then nomad will be out of more money and may cry. you don't want to make them cry do you? do you?

rock over london

rock over drakes

nomad am, the choice of a new generation.

IT WILL BE FUCKING AMAZING.

even that weekly NME rag has nice things to say about our split YMSS/Redjetson 12" - "More fine examples of indie with the split 12" of the week featuring Redjetson and Youth Movie Soundtrack Strategies. Essex's Redjetson contribute the blissful 'This City Moans' and 'Divorce'; their forthcoming debut album 'New General Catalogue' is named after a book that maps nearly 8,000 nebula & star clusters and galaxies (yes they're shoegazers). Meanwhile YMSS '...spooks the horse' make Hope Of States look like Jet in the ambition stakes or something..."

www.redjetson.co.uk

www.ymss.org.uk

www.disrecords.com

it was 21 and a half people actually!!!

despite the guys having a few technical difficulties and admitting to being very weary (aww!), i enjoyed YMSS more that Redjetson...their single Spooks The Horse is great, love the blue vinyl!

was a wierd atmosphere, bit lacking in one actually, very quiet, bit sparce, with everyone sitting down...dunno if folk weren't in to it or what...would be interested to hear what others thought of them...

there was a definate lack of atmosphere...strange one

sharon

Guest neil ex

i enjoyed YMSS more that Redjetson...

same. i wasn't that keen on redjetson but strangely they didn't seem to drag on at all, they could have easily with the post rock influences. i wasn't keen on the singer either, his singing was bland and i think he let the band down quite a bit because of that. i think there music was quite pleasant and nice to listen to (probably why it didn't seem to drag) but wasn't memorable or great and it seemed like it had all been done before.

YMSS (not too sure what to make of the name) were impressive, they were quite unpredictable in parts with the time changes and 'awkward' rhythms, were very tight and were quite noisey at times.

i wasn't too keen on dedalus. i preferred the less melodic vocals to the more melodic ones, which i kinda found a bit whiney and bland. the singer doesn't have a bad voice though and i thought the guitars were used to good effect. i just think on a whole that their songs lack something special and a few of the songs seemed a bit too predictable with the similar structures.

Guest Nikola Tesla

Great gig for what i saw of it.

Dedalus were very good (As usual)

Redjetson.... i don't know about them.. i really enjoyed the music behind it, but as said before the singers voice wasnt up to much at all. I think a very distinctive voice is required for that kind of music.

Missed YMSS due to the fecking buses in aberdeen.. but ive tracked some mp3s down and am truly sick about having to miss them. great band :up:

Guest ForbiddenFruitcake

ugh...same as above. i had to miss ymss...absolutely fantastic band who i've loved for months. because of the bus. eugh.

but anyway

dedalus were excellent...i would say as usual, but after their last performance... :p play the old songs though!! i miss them so much...especially everything has gone to hell...and almost parallel.

i also really liked redjetson...i don't like them on record much, and their singer's voice ain't that great (at the risk of echoing all of the above comments) but i loved their drums and 3 guitars, pity the bass was drowned out so much though too, as he seemed good.

and i would imagine that ymss were awesome. as they are. always. ugh. buses.

we do play almost parallel, just sometimes it needs a break. we have been playing it non stop for over a year now. at every gig. ever.

i thought it was a great night, really enjoyed both red jetson and ymss. thought ymss were awesome. all dead nice people too. my only complaint with red jetson was that it was a bit samey after a while, start with one guitar quiet then everyone come in, build up, go loud, go quiet and reverby then big ending. they were fucking great at it mind and i love that stuff but it woulda been nice for some variation i guess. maybe that'll come.

quite pleased by how our set went as well, no hitches and sounded great where i was. as for similar structures, well, what can we say? you got us there. we're suckers for the old verse chorus verse chorus middle chorus kinda shenanigans. it's called pop songs. we like em. but we like to make em a bit noisy and sometimes quite atmospheric and push them a bit. i guess it comes down to a compromise, if it was up to me all our songs would end up like the end of third floor(the first one we played) for 10 minutes with lots of different parts and make red stuff ooze out of peoples noses, but that would suck after one gig. fair point though, but we likes em to have a kinda pop structure. can't see the whiny thing meself, yea they're not the cheeriest of songs but they're certainly not whiny. glad you didnt' think we were totally shit though. it is refreshing to hear someone say they weren't too impressed actually, we'd gone too long with everyone liking us. it wasn't quite right. :)

great night though!

not yet, almost but not yet. i think it'll probably come back but in a different form. bits of it may remain. we're constantly coming back to the old songs as well as working on new ones. it's hard to strike a balance. we just brought ring back in a brand new way and it's worked really well and we've just reworked burn so we'll need something else to tinker with soon(though i think that'll be soar as we only played that once before and it was a great song).