aberdeen-music

Bass playing for the elderly...

GraemeC

I've been playing bass for a good few years now and am currently rehearsing with a very good band and hope to gig soon.

My problem is, i've never really learned good solid technique nor really the basic scales chords etc etc and this slows me down a bit which isnt fair on the other guys, dont get me wrong i'm loving the pressure and we are sounding great and my playing is better than its ever been but I feel life would be easier and my playing career could be longer if I had better knowledge and skill..

Are lessons my best route and if so who should I go to remembering they will need to be patient with an old very stuck in his ways man...

Can I add that one of the best bass players Aberdeen has ever seen showed me my first chords on guitar.... Mike Ray:cool:

Get some lessons - you'll never look back!!

I took lessons for about 18 months after I left Aberdeen and although initially I felt I went backwards as my teacher pulled my technique apart, it was all for the best. I can honestly say that I'm a much better and more grounded player as a result.

Definately get some lessons, but go into them with an idea of what you want to achieve.

When I first started out, I played for a couple of months learning tab for songs I liked but I was getting nowhere. As soon as we played a song that I hadn't learned or tried to jam, I was completely useless. I then went to get some lessons which I went to for a few years and my playing came on like you'd not believe. It was an outstanding decision. The only thing I wish I'd done was learned to sight read when I was younger, because that would also have brought my playing on.

+1 for lessons - I learned more in a few months of lessons than in the entirety of the years before I had been winging it. I feel that my playing improved greatly, my ability to pick up new tunes improved greatly and most of all it was enlightening to find out why I was playing what I was playing other than "cos it sounds good".

• 8 months later...