aberdeen-music

New music store opens at Academy

Van McLaughlin

Can't help but think the Academy is a daft place to put it, to be honest.

Really? Putting a music store basically opposite from a school and university seems like a good idea to me. Robert Gordons pupils can go over in their lunch break etc and they won't exactly be short of a few quid to spend on instruments. (that's not being biased or judgemental, I had a scholarship at the school the current Principle of Robert Gordons used to work at and loads of pupils were bought rather expensive instruments by their parents so I KNOW this to be the case!)

It'll be taking up at least three units of the centre once it's completely open. They had hoped to open in Union Square but nowhere the right size was free for another year. Tbh in the long run i'd think it'll save them few pounds in rates too.

As long as musicians know where it is I think they'll do quite well. Far nicer to walk into than RnBs. Very open and light. Prices seem damn decent too. And of course there's Bill and Jamie thrown into the bargain just to cheer everyone up.

Little competition to RnBs seems to be having effect already. Few amps now reduced in price to match the new shop and online RnB have replaced prices on Fenders with "cheapest in Scotland" - which I'm pretty sure they were not before!

Its not the prices of Rnb that put me off. Its the fact you get stared at, looked down upon and bitched about after youve left.

Theirs been many times ive been in and seen someone come in and ask a question, then as soon as theyve left, all the insults towards that person asking that question come about.

Its not the prices of Rnb that put me off. Its the fact you get stared at, looked down upon and bitched about after youve left.

Theirs been many times ive been in and seen someone come in and ask a question, then as soon as theyve left, all the insults towards that person asking that question come about.

I make my best efforts to refrain from commenting afterwards following being dumbfounded by something that happens during a conversation with any customers. I only ever get worked up at blatant rudeness or attempts to be belittling or similar. Regards the prior aspects, I like to leave people alone to try stuff and certainly don't look down at anyone. I'm especially conscious of these things as I have read a couple of times on here of people expressing the same/similar feelings. I certainly hope it comes across any time I ever engage with anyone, as it is obviously rather important! I'm not there full time or anything, however I like to conduct myself appropriately when I am :)

My bass was cheaper at ii...
R&B have had the cheapest prices on American Fender guitars and Fender amps for about 5 months. :)

:up:

• Upvote 1

I know exactly what you said haha, was just winding you up. My other basses have been from R&B have been fine and my outlook is people can be bastards behind my back as long as they're nice to my face. So when I went in thinking my old bass was broken a few years ago and it turned out to be a dodgy cable, I was greeted with complete professionalism and if they had a laugh about it afterwards then.. well.. so would I looking back on it.

• Upvote 1

I damn well expect nah demand to be patronised when I go to rnb. I've been feckin aboot with guitars fir 30 years and still know feck all about them except they make a damn fine noise. That's why I need to know they're is a few guitar scientists aboot to make me feel inferior, fix em but also remind me why i cannie be bothered with details details feckin details. You pay good money to be dominated like that, i tell yeh...And I want them to be nice boys like your gran would like. The nice lad feb rnb who looks like the mannie feh coast umbrella or guitar in rucksack etc. That's what I pay for. Grippy bastards waiting 4 months for thomanns to deliver I want humiliation right now in aberdoom....,

• Upvote 1

Except R&B dont price match, were as ii music does.

It depends what you are looking to price match, whether we have it in stock, whether the alternative places have it in stock and what the price we are expected to match actually is. It is not the case that R&B do not price match full stop. :)

Do you mean American Fenders again? As I think that Guitar Guitar stock Classic Player Jazzmasters cheaper than R and B.

I would need to check that as I'm not sure. I know the American models are/were. I just checked the R&B site and it seems to say so for the other stuff too. That has been implemented since I was last in the shop so I can't be certain! :)