aberdeen-music

Battlefield 3 vs Call of Duty

paime

BF3 is awesome, i do notice alot of people who just expect another Modern Warfare type game getting pissed off with it becasue it isnt as arcadey, but i think that is what gives it a more long term appeal.

Once you understand the flow of the maps and start working with the squad your in, approaching it as more of a 'team' game basically you get more points, rank faster and enjoy it much more.

You also get some chaotic as fuck moments that makes the game really live up to its name!

I just find it way more satisfying than Cod. The vehicles are amazing as well.

Got skyrim a bout a week ago though and that game is so time consuming i havent had a chance to go back to BF yet but once the skyrim novelty wears off a bit ill be back!

my gamertag is Exposed Nerve if anyone wants a good squad member.

I hate played one game of Battlefield 2 and I must say, I have never been so bored in my life. I think in the first two minutes I managed to get into no vehicles (big surprise, all taken) and the game gave me little in the way of telling me what the hell I needed to fucking do. So I spent about five minutes aimlessly running around as people somehow gunned me down from several miles away with rifles. Honestly, I think BF would be okay if everyone actually played as a team but I think you're kidding yourself if you think anyone actually is.

On the other hand, we bought MW3 and thoroughly enjoy it. I won't lie and say it's thought-provoking or innovative because it clearly isn't, but it does the first-person shooting thing pretty bloody well and has done since COD4 way back when. And, yes, I'm shit at COD too, but at least you can learn with that game - I think after five or six games of COD I was killing more than I had been at the start. I think with Battlefield you would have to finish single-player or whatever just to get a foothold.

I hate played one game of Battlefield 2 and I must say, I have never been so bored in my life. I think in the first two minutes I managed to get into no vehicles (big surprise, all taken) and the game gave me little in the way of telling me what the hell I needed to fucking do. So I spent about five minutes aimlessly running around as people somehow gunned me down from several miles away with rifles. Honestly, I think BF would be okay if everyone actually played as a team but I think you're kidding yourself if you think anyone actually is.

On the other hand, we bought MW3 and thoroughly enjoy it. I won't lie and say it's thought-provoking or innovative because it clearly isn't, but it does the first-person shooting thing pretty bloody well and has done since COD4 way back when. And, yes, I'm shit at COD too, but at least you can learn with that game - I think after five or six games of COD I was killing more than I had been at the start. I think with Battlefield you would have to finish single-player or whatever just to get a foothold.

The problem is the single player BF3 experience makes me cry. It's a horrible, horrible thing.

However the multiplayer is a thing of pure joy. I would agree that for new players there's a lack of direction (i.e. you're never told how to spot enemies) but it's definitely worth persevering with. The comment about no teamwork is just wrong. This morning I spent was playing conquest with randoms, not using headsets but still our squad were all spawning on each other and moving together to attack objectives. Still fucking lost though.

The problem is the single player BF3 experience makes me cry. It's a horrible, horrible thing.

However the multiplayer is a thing of pure joy. I would agree that for new players there's a lack of direction (i.e. you're never told how to spot enemies) but it's definitely worth persevering with. The comment about no teamwork is just wrong. This morning I spent was playing conquest with randoms, not using headsets but still our squad were all spawning on each other and moving together to attack objectives. Still fucking lost though.

So does the COD one, always has. MW3 was the fucking worst though, shouldn't have bothered. Battlefield's single player, from what I've heard, is purely to get acquainted with the game, not to give any sort of compelling plot.

I don't really understand how teamwork could work without headsets, like, properly work.* I'm not saying BF is shit, by the way, just very very unforgiving on new players which I'm not used to thanks to the mindless shooting of COD. I also don't know if I have the patience required to sit though the games of BF without a) crying or b) losing my will to live.

I only have BF2, but I guess I'll maybe give it another shot. Saving up for Skyrim though, looking ace.

* Oh, regarding this - aren't there only a finite number of vehicles? And if so, wouldn't it just turn into a race for the best ones?

So does the COD one, always has. MW3 was the fucking worst though, shouldn't have bothered. Battlefield's single player, from what I've heard, is purely to get acquainted with the game, not to give any sort of compelling plot.

I don't really understand how teamwork could work without headsets, like, properly work.* I'm not saying BF is shit, by the way, just very very unforgiving on new players which I'm not used to thanks to the mindless shooting of COD. I also don't know if I have the patience required to sit though the games of BF without a) crying or b) losing my will to live.

I only have BF2, but I guess I'll maybe give it another shot. Saving up for Skyrim though, looking ace.

* Oh, regarding this - aren't there only a finite number of vehicles? And if so, wouldn't it just turn into a race for the best ones?

You keep saying BF2 but I assume you mean BF3 as the second one was released in 2005.

The single player is useless for getting aquainted for multiplayer. You don't fly the planes or drive the vehicles and you don't have any freedom. It's pretty grim.

Teamwork works best with headsets but I don't have the patience to bother with talking to randoms so only use them when my friends are online. But with the way BF3 is setup you can still work well as a team without it. The main gametypes are conquest and rush, rather than deathmatch so you have set objectives to capture and defend. You also have the different classes and in a good team you should be getting fed ammo, medpacks andd being repaired if you're in a vehicle or revived if you're dead. It's a great way to get points and rank up. When I play support I'm constantly spitting out ammo packs to team mates.

There are only a set number of vehicles on each map. If there was a vehicle each it would be pretty ridiculous. So there's always going to be an element of players camping their favourites (I fucking love the attack helicopters) but if you're patient you can usually grab one at some point. The fact you can now spawn directly into a free plane or helicopter is a big improvement over previous versions of the game. Still I wish they'd included the vehicle tutorial and dogfight modes they had in BF 1943

I keep saying BF2 because I do not own BF3. I don't want to mislead you.

I've read what you've written, not much to reply to really, good overview of the game. How has 3 expanded on 2? (Could be that 2 was just pants in comparison and I've got a bad hand, I don't know.)

And was 1943 that one that was downloadable from PSN? Think I played something like that which I also hated for similar reasons...

Ah I just thought you kept making the same typo. BF2 was great fun. 1943 was the one that was on PSN/Xbox Live. Just 3 maps and a more basic version of the game. I still fire it up occasionally for the dogfight mode.

I can't say BF3 is any better than MW3 as I haven't played the latest Call Of Duty. Decided to give it a miss as I've played every one since the first COD and there's not a lot of progression. Plus I love the vehicles in Battlefield. That's the big plus for me. That and I don't have to have the quickest reactions to be at the upper reaches of the scoreboard. I can die lots and still score points by capturing objectives, giving supressing fire, repairing, offering ammo etc.

But the single player. Oh Jesus Christ Benton/Fenton. I spent an hour trying to get past the same bit on the BF3 campaign today. An hour. Spawn, knife a guy (the first 4 times then I just shot him in the back with a shotgun), kill the dudes at the end of the walkway then lay down suppressing fire for my colleague to run to the end. Pop up and try and shoot the people overlooking our position. Get shot once. Die. Start again. Repeat for an hour. Fuck. Earlier on I died 3 times in a row without the chance to even avoid it. Just heard engine noise... "It's a tank!" BANG! Dead. All because I was standing behind the guy with "Follow" floating over his head. Once I moved to the other side of the road well away from him I was fine.

That's why it makes me cry.

Ah I just thought you kept making the same typo. BF2 was great fun. 1943 was the one that was on PSN/Xbox Live. Just 3 maps and a more basic version of the game. I still fire it up occasionally for the dogfight mode.

I can't say BF3 is any better than MW3 as I haven't played the latest Call Of Duty. Decided to give it a miss as I've played every one since the first COD and there's not a lot of progression. Plus I love the vehicles in Battlefield. That's the big plus for me. That and I don't have to have the quickest reactions to be at the upper reaches of the scoreboard. I can die lots and still score points by capturing objectives, giving supressing fire, repairing, offering ammo etc.

But the single player. Oh Jesus Christ Benton/Fenton. I spent an hour trying to get past the same bit on the BF3 campaign today. An hour. Spawn, knife a guy (the first 4 times then I just shot him in the back with a shotgun), kill the dudes at the end of the walkway then lay down suppressing fire for my colleague to run to the end. Pop up and try and shoot the people overlooking our position. Get shot once. Die. Start again. Repeat for an hour. Fuck. Earlier on I died 3 times in a row without the chance to even avoid it. Just heard engine noise... "It's a tank!" BANG! Dead. All because I was standing behind the guy with "Follow" floating over his head. Once I moved to the other side of the road well away from him I was fine.

That's why it makes me cry.

Weirdly I didn't see this since there's no reply #lazy

I think the fact that your reactions don't really have to be too great is a plus, since COD is that at its best, and a connection-strength battle at its worst. The vehicles, though... meh, I can't say I like that idea. Maybe would after using 'em.

That... pretty much sounds like COD. I died, on the first mission, TEN TIMES. On RECRUIT, no less. I suck. In my defence I'd just come off a Fallout 3 bender so was swapping my weapon over and over trying to jump.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to state the case to my missus that i need BF3 in my life and therefore i shouldn't be given any abuse for spending money on it however im now perfectly content with MW3. My only slight issue is that it doesn't feel like a huge step forward from Black Ops. I think someone else mentioned it in this thread that the franchise essentially makes a few new maps and hey presto we all pay £40 for the pleasure and i think that's pretty much dead on. Maybe something which takes the best bits from MW3 and combines them with BF3 would be even better?

I was going to state the case to my missus that i need BF3 in my life and therefore i shouldn't be given any abuse for spending money on it however im now perfectly content with MW3. My only slight issue is that it doesn't feel like a huge step forward from Black Ops. I think someone else mentioned it in this thread that the franchise essentially makes a few new maps and hey presto we all pay £40 for the pleasure and i think that's pretty much dead on. Maybe something which takes the best bits from MW3 and combines them with BF3 would be even better?

The more "die-hard" COD fans will notice it's changed quite a lot from MW2 (not Black Ops since that was a Treyarch game and thus using a completely different canon). I've noticed a lot of the multiplayer options appear to have stolen directly from Black Ops, such as weapon levels and things.

On a side note, played Battlefield 2, and, no, I never ever want to play that game ever again. At least MW3 doesn't make me cry.

Very disappointed with MW3. Very frustrating game in multiplayer, spawns are badly broken and I can't say I'm over enamoured with any of the new maps. If anything I would say the multiplayer is a step back from Black Ops, in looks and design.

I'm getting Battlefield 3 for Christmas, will be my first Battlefield game. Bit concerned with the size of the maps and the amount of teamwork required (I only use my headset when I'm partied up with people I know) but quite looking forward to it. Anyone got any tips for a BF n00b? I've been told 'spotting' (?) is essential?