aberdeen-music

Estrella on Jim Gellatly Show

Estrella

I don't know what shocks me more, Jim Gellatly still being around or Estrella...

I remember doing some god awful showcase gig at the Lemon tree in the early 90s and we were given afternoon workshops where "A northsound DJ will be available to constructively criticise your band"....all it was was the green haired fat bloke from one up slagging off everyones band...at least it inspired a song, "Jim Getalife"...

But Estrella...come on....those guys weren't even born when what they are doing was already passed its sell by date....although the fact the beat xcerts in some stupid battle of the bands almost makes me want to respect them...

I have to see this post in a different light now after seeing what emergency 72 has been spouting in the last couple of days.

Guest Gladstone

Why does anyone give a fuck about this?

Jim Gellatly can play whatever he wants on his show.

Estrella can play whatever type of music they want to and can pay for any level of success they want to. I think they're pish too, but I'm convinced they won't care about that. They probably think that a lot of bands in Aberdeen are pish too, and that's their opinion. I bet you nobody on here cares if Estrella thinks their band is pish, do you?

I don't know why Estrella continue to get this sort of reaction when they are really insignificant to everyone moaning about them!

• Upvote 2

Estrella can play whatever type of music they want to and can pay for any level of success they want to. I think they're pish too, but I'm convinced they won't care about that. They probably think that a lot of bands in Aberdeen are pish too, and that's their opinion. I bet you nobody on here cares if Estrella thinks their band is pish, do you?

I don't know why Estrella continue to get this sort of reaction when they are really insignificant to everyone moaning about them!

You could say that about a great number of things, and end up with an extremely boring music discussion forum.

I'm sure no-one's smashing their keyboard across their own head out of disgust for Estrella. However, they are crap, and it is good fun to talk about it.

I cant sleep most nights because i dont know if Estrella have liked any of my previous bands, thank you very much.

If we ignored every band then there would be no music discussion on here at all, and it so happens people, like myself, are pissed off that a band that offers nothing but pound signs get this kinda coverage when much more deserving bands never get near. We're all allowed to express our thoughts on the subject surely?

:)

Guest Gladstone

I didn't say you weren't allowed an opinion, just curious as to why people still give a shit.

Estrella is the kind of band that most people on this site don't like - i.e. they pay their way through life. But that's completely up to them. Stuff like that just doesn't bother me anymore.

Guest Gladstone

I don't have a "problem" - I just said I don't understand why people still care about what Estrella get up to. As for having nothing to talk about, I think there are plenty of other Aberdeen Music related issues to discuss other than the merits of Estrella being played on a radio show that I'm guessing most of us on this thread don't actually listen to...

I think we do care in a way. Estrella's comedy threads are part of the history of these here boards. They're like Shutt3rsp33d, but not as fucking amazing.

I hope they're still making threads like this in 25 years time. I imagine they'll be doing a teen pregnancy awareness reunion tour or something by then.

• Upvote 1

To give Estrella their dues they always put 100% into their shows regardless of how many people are watching. Which is quite commendable. The last gig I went to in Aberdeen involved a Glasgow band who went on after the local band left the stage taking approx 2/3 of the crowd with them. They played 2 or 3 of their own songs then just did half-arsed covers and made snidey comments inbetween about the drunk older people who were dancing along and enjoying it. It'd be nice if everyone gave as much as Estrella when they performed.

That said, their mere existence is baffling.

• Upvote 1

I was wondering what all the bad-mouthing of Estrella was all about. I'd never heard of them so thought i'd do a Youtube search.....

Hmmm. That doesn't really do them any favours. Saw them in Glasgow last week by the way. Very poor turn-out, but thought they were really good. Need a lot of work to get away from the cheesy thing but a huge worldwide market for this sort of stuff... Need to watch they don't take themselves too seriously as well, which I think they may be at the moment. Stick by what I said in the paper really.