aberdeen-music

Estrella on Jim Gellatly Show

Estrella

But I still don't think you could say he's irrelevant. Maybe because he's now located down south he has less of an impact up here, but you'll still find plenty people who appreciate what he does.

I've been located "down south" for quite a while now, and Jim Gellatly appears to have considerably less impact down here than he ever had in the North East. I remember listening to Jim's show on Northsound back in the day, and it wasn't even nearly as good as Del Franklin's, in my opinion. His apparent "influence", in my estimation, is a complete fallacy and a self-created perception. Obviously not quite to L. Ron Hubbard extents, but it's still how I personally view Jim Gellatly.

The only people that genuinely seem to "appreciate what he does" are members of the bands he plays on his podcast/radio show.

I don't know what shocks me more, Jim Gellatly still being around or Estrella...

I remember doing some god awful showcase gig at the Lemon tree in the early 90s and we were given afternoon workshops where "A northsound DJ will be available to constructively criticise your band"....all it was was the green haired fat bloke from one up slagging off everyones band...at least it inspired a song, "Jim Getalife"...

But Estrella...come on....those guys weren't even born when what they are doing was already passed its sell by date....although the fact the beat xcerts in some stupid battle of the bands almost makes me want to respect them...

I've been located "down south" for quite a while now, and Jim Gellatly appears to have considerably less impact down here than he ever had in the North East. I remember listening to Jim's show on Northsound back in the day, and it wasn't even nearly as good as Del Franklin's, in my opinion. His apparent "influence", in my estimation, is a complete fallacy and a self-created perception. Obviously not quite to L. Ron Hubbard extents, but it's still how I personally view Jim Gellatly.

Really? I used to listen to his Northsound show most nights it was on and he seemed to play a lot of local stuff and get very heavily involved in the gigs and surrounding infrastucture to an extent that no other local DJ has done since (even Del). Maybe because you were more involved in music and bands when his successors were on the go it's skewed your perception. I dunno. Anyway when I was first getting into local music Jim's show was ace and I honestly don't think there's been one as in depth or good as it since.

• Upvote 2

Really? I used to listen to his Northsound show most nights it was on and he seemed to play a lot of local stuff and get very heavily involved in the gigs and surrounding infrastucture to an extent that no other local DJ has done since (even Del). Maybe because you were more involved in music and bands when his successors were on the go it's skewed your perception. I dunno. Anyway when I was first getting into local music Jim's show was ace and I honestly don't think there's been one as in depth or good as it since.

"Local" does not generally mean "good." The fact that I was ever in a band has absolutely no bearing on my opinion of Jim Gellatly's alleged influence, and I'm a little confused as to why that is mentioned. I listened to his show in my very early twenties - way before I even met anyone who liked music - as a listener and a gig-goer, and I didn't make much of his show at all. I always felt posters in One Up and this website informed me more about local bands and gig listings than his show ever did.

Glad you appreciated his show and efforts, and all; but I never found him in any way informative when he was active in Aberdeen. And I definitely still don't.

• Upvote 1

Do you know he is on the radio on Sunday nights now?

I'm sure it's 7pm onwards on Northsound/Tay Fm, might even be on Clyde again.

On my drive back to Aberdeen I tuned in a few times and he did plug a few gigs in Drummonds and a Aberdeen band.

• 1 month later...
Everyone on here loves Jim. Well maybe not.

I stayed in Glasgow for years and had to endure him on Clyde. His opinions are never relevant and always feels like I must confirm to the fore mentioned.

Since up this neck of the woods the drive back up is ruined because AMP had been replaced by Jim fumbling over crap music.

In the last few weeks the Noel Gallagher and his high flying birds promotion cuts thin for me.

Conform to what you have been lead to think what people want.

As for you guys, I hope it goes well

Hmmm... You lived in Glasgow for years and had to endure me on Clyde? I've only been there 18 months!

• Upvote 4

As for Estrella, it's their idea of promotion above everything else that winds me up. Looking back on their posts on this site for example, there is absolutely no engagement whatsoever. Every post is a plug for something, I've never seen any discussion, comment, even the slightest bit of chat or response to anything. Even this very thread, = plug, couple of replies, including me saying they make me physically ill, response = another plug.

Agree. You do need to engage... even if painful.

Thank you Jim for helping to keep the Aberdeen music scene in touch with the rest of the nation.

He isnt really, no one up here cares about Estrella, and they definitely do not represent the Aberdeen Music Scene or what it has to offer. They dont interact with anyone up here, no one really likes their music or the way they go about their business, but they have a lot of money behind them and because of that they get these opportunities that should be going to the bands making a real effort off their own back.

Jesus, Estrella are still on the go? I thought we'd heard the last of them after we mocked their previous "press" to bits on here.

They haven't achieved a thing by themselves, and it seems to me that almost everything they have achieved has been a result of simply paying for it.

Speaking of which, if Jim is posting on this thread - why the fuck are you promoting such garbage?

Jesus, Cloud is still on the go? I thought we'd heard the last of him after we mocked his previous posts on "Poland" on here.

He hasn't hasn't achieved a thing by himself, and it seems to me that almost everything he has achieved has been a result of moving to Poland.

Speaking of which, if Jim is posting on this thread - why the fuck haven't you heard that Cloud now lives in Poland?

• Upvote 6

He isnt really, no one up here cares about Estrella, and they definitely do not represent the Aberdeen Music Scene or what it has to offer. They dont interact with anyone up here, no one really likes their music or the way they go about their business, but they have a lot of money behind them and because of that they get these opportunities that should be going to the bands making a real effort off their own back.

Good point about Estrella...I'm not a fan.

But Jim's played quite a few bands on amazing radio from up here, when I played in Weather Barn we got AirPlay almost every week and I know that he's been doing a wee bit of work on his Sunday show (which gets aired all over Scotland) with the little kicks to help promote their new album. I'm not going to name every band he's played from Aberdeen because I can't, but it's a bit unfair to criticise a guy who plays unsigned bands on national radio.

So in short, Estrella are shite and leave Gellatly to it, despite Estrella being shite.

• Upvote 2

Good point about Estrella...I'm not a fan.

But Jim's played quite a few bands on amazing radio from up here, when I played in Weather Barn we got AirPlay almost every week and I know that he's been doing a wee bit of work on his Sunday show (which gets aired all over Scotland) with the little kicks to help promote their new album. I'm not going to name every band he's played from Aberdeen because I can't, but it's a bit unfair to criticise a guy who plays unsigned bands on national radio.

So in short, Estrella are shite and leave Gellatly to it, despite Estrella being shite.

Yeah that wasnt a rant against Jim at all, I just dont feel Estrella represent what is going on up here, not in the slightest.

• Upvote 1

I know who Jim Gellatly is, as it turns out. He wrote about Weather Barn in The Sun once. I was in that band, just like Paul Walker is in The Fast and the Furious films. I listened to Estrella. They don't sound like real music in my ears.

...and that is my contribution to this thread.