aberdeen-music

Estrella on Jim Gellatly Show

Estrella

We’re delighted to announce that Jim Gellatly, from Amazing Radio, has chosen to play an Estrella track on his Sunday Show (16.10.11). The show broadcasts at 2pm and is then repeated the following Wednesday (19/10/11)at 10pm.

With over 20 years on the radio, Jim Gellatly is firmly established as one of Scotland's leading exponents of new music. Having served time at BBC Radio Scotland, Northsound, Beat 106, MFR and Xfm Scotland, Jim's played a role in uncovering many of the most important bands around, including Oasis, Snow Patrol and Coldplay. Gellatly is also credited as the first radio DJ to play KT Tunstall, Glasvegas, Biffy Clyro, The Fratellis, Twin Atlantic, The Enemy,Sergeant and his hometown band The View.

We’d be grateful if you could tune in on Sunday and have a listen to Jim's show.

Amazing Radio - www.amazingradio.co.uk/home/

Jim Gellatly Show - www.amazingradio.co.uk/shows/jimgellatly

Jim's Other Websites

www.jimgellatly.com

www.facebook.com/jimgellatlyofficial

www.twitter.com/jimgellatly

www.myspace.com/jimgellatly

Thanks, Estrella

www.facebook.com/estrellarocks

www.twitter.com/estrella_rocks

Everyone on here loves Jim. Well maybe not.

I stayed in Glasgow for years and had to endure him on Clyde. His opinions are never relevant and always feels like I must confirm to the fore mentioned.

Since up this neck of the woods the drive back up is ruined because AMP had been replaced by Jim fumbling over crap music.

In the last few weeks the Noel Gallagher and his high flying birds promotion cuts thin for me.

Conform to what you have been lead to think what people want.

As for you guys, I hope it goes well

• Upvote 1

Estrella are still on the go?! Jesus. That's quite a feat! The last time I saw them was when they beat the Xcerts at a battle of the bands at Jumping Jacks approx 7 years ago. That's not even a lie.

Edit: it is a lie, it was Chicago Rock Cafe.

I was there!! It was a fucking farce the Xcerts lost that!!!

Ive never ever come away from a gig so despondent.

Haha, I'm glad I didn't make that up and it actually happened. Quite the night to remember.

I was there with Dan from Stayover, we started arguing with the guy from Northsound and he told us if we didnt like the result tough because he was in charge, like i say i have never come away from a gig thinking what the hell is the point being in a real band when a farce like Estrella are deemed better than one of Britians best young bands.

I was there with Dan from Stayover, we started arguing with the guy from Northsound and he told us if we didnt like the result tough because he was in charge, like i say i have never come away from a gig thinking what the hell is the point being in a real band when a farce like Estrella are deemed better than one of Britians best young bands.

It's not as bad as that bit in School of Rock when Jack Black gets beaten by his old band. Cold shit. Battle of the bands.

As for you Noid, get thee to the search.

• Upvote 1

It just struck me as weird that they seemed to be promoting some DJ rather than themselves. I also have no idea who this Jim fellow is or why he's disliked around here too.

Exactly. What a fucking weird band. That said, I've never heard their music. Which is a shame, as I used to see one of them gadding about in a Status Quo t-shirt all the time. And I fucking love Status Quo.

I also don't think Jim Gellatly is disliked per se; I just think most people realise how irrelevant he is. Even he probably does. In fact, he probably wrote the very copy that Estrella pasted in the original post. He quite likes to promulgate how important he thinks he is.

It's not as bad as that bit in School of Rock when Jack Black gets beaten by his old band. Cold shit. Battle of the bands.

As for you Noid, get thee to the search.

The only way it could have been worse was if i was actually in the Xcerts that night, i would have seriously considered giving up. The guy from Northsound was a right tosser as well, thankfully never had to see that mug again in my life.

They were such weird gigs as well, going along to Chicago Rock for a gig just seemed wrong, to then add a half assed Northsound attempt to make it worthwhile and then add Estrella really took the piss.

Why all the Jim Gellatly hate?

I don't listen to the radio much/atall so I've never listened to his show, but I met him in the lemontree one night and, chatting to him, he seemed like a decent guy.. Just people here disagreeing with his taste or is there any specific event that set him into the bad books?

/aberdeenmusicaresoclosedmindedblahblahblaholdboysclubblahblahblah

xx

The only way it could have been worse was if i was actually in the Xcerts that night, i would have seriously considered giving up. The guy from Northsound was a right tosser as well, thankfully never had to see that mug again in my life.

If I was in a band that entered a Battle of the Bands, I'd probably consider quitting that band.

Why all the Jim Gellatly hate?

I don't listen to the radio much/atall so I've never listened to his show, but I met him in the lemontree one night and, chatting to him, he seemed like a decent guy.. Just people here disagreeing with his taste or is there any specific event that set him into the bad books?

/aberdeenmusicaresoclosedmindedblahblahblaholdboysclubblahblahblah

xx

I also don't think Jim Gellatly is disliked per se; I just think most people realise how irrelevant he is. Even he probably does. In fact, he probably wrote the very copy that Estrella pasted in the original post. He quite likes to promulgate how important he thinks he is.
  • Upvote 1

I think anyone who remembers the Aberdeen music SceneTM in the 90s will have an appreciation of what Jim did for Aberdeen back then. He did the 'local music/new bands/alternative' type show on Northsound, as well as the weekly column in the Evening Express, and in the days before the internet made everything so much easier, this was a pretty big deal. It was quite a thing to get a mention in the paper, or better, on the radio, or even better to get a song played. And he was always out and about at pretty much every gig, and got to know a lot of the bands he was writing/talking about. And from what I can see he's still pretty much doing exactly that.

As I said that was a pretty big deal in those days, things are obviously a lot different now when all you need is a FB page and you have a global audience. But I still don't think you could say he's irrelevant. Maybe because he's now located down south he has less of an impact up here, but you'll still find plenty people who appreciate what he does.

As for Estrella, it's their idea of promotion above everything else that winds me up. Looking back on their posts on this site for example, there is absolutely no engagement whatsoever. Every post is a plug for something, I've never seen any discussion, comment, even the slightest bit of chat or response to anything. Even this very thread, = plug, couple of replies, including me saying they make me physically ill, response = another plug. And it's usually been some ridiculous 'battle of the bands' which they seem to almost universally enter. Just makes them about as credible as some x-factor creation to me, if they think that's the way to get ahead. And the music's dreadful, obviously.

• Upvote 4