aberdeen-music

Hogmanay at the AECC

french_disko

Given it's hogmanay, there is 3 other bands to name and all the staff and services will be on premium rates of pay, £40 is hardly suprising is it?

You get ripped off anywhere. Even The Priory charged £10 last year.

Last year I started in the tent at Enigma and the band were not bad actually. The strangest hogmanay ever where everyone cheered for the bells and shook 2 or 3 hands and then that was it.

Anyways, good to see the AECC have tried something different. Hopefully it does not go tits up like other music events.

Only thing is if you are staying in there for a lengthy period they need to sort their bar out.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gladstone

I can't actually make it to Aberdeen as I'll be elsewhere on Hogmanay, but was just pointing out the fact that those two (good - in my opinion) local bands have got on the bill at AECC which is pretty cool. I'd probably go if I was about.

• 1 month later...
Guest Gladstone

I doubt it's the lineup or even the price that's putting people off. It's probably more to do with the fact that it's Hogmanay at the AECC. Most people probably can't be arsed with getting out there and then really struggling to get back into the city centre. People that want to go out in Aberdeen would rather be in the city centre during the course of the evening and stay there past midnight etc. and folk that aren't up for going out in the city centre probably don't want to go to the AECC because they'll be doing the house party thing to save having to travel / someone having to drive.

They maybe should have tried it at the Music Hall or even the Beach Ballroom might have been a bit more accessible.

It's a bit of a shame though because getting on that line up for the two local bands was pretty cool.

Guest Gladstone
I think the line up is certainly an issue. Its poor and its a line up that would be suitable for a much smaller venue. Even the Music Hall or Beach Ballroom would be pushing it.

Whoever thought it would be an idea to charge £40 for that line up needs their head checking.

In your opinion. White Lies, The View and Twin Atlantic are all very popular bands. A quick google search shows that for The View tour in December face value for tickets is £16-£18, the White Lies December tour - tickets are £20-£23 - and it's Hogmanay - prices are always ramped up. I'm not saying it should be £40 or it shouldn't be - just saying that people are often a bit too quick to criticise.

Saying that though - it looks like it's only £15 for a ticket for Edinburgh street party, which has a really good line up for that price.

This AECC thing was probably a bit misguided - the cost to hire that place is fucking expensive, which will be the main reason the tickets are £40 a go. Who is organising the event anyway?

I do think that if it was more centrally located, like the Music Hall, they would have shifted enough tickets (even at £40 a go) to justify it - but they probably had to pay hefty fees for White Lies and The View and tried to get it at the AECC for more potential ticket sales.

Are Twin Atlantic actually playing? They're name is on the poster, but I see they're playing at the Forum on 12th December and they make no mention of the Hogmanay gig on their website.

In your opinion. White Lies, The View and Twin Atlantic are all very popular bands. A quick google search shows that for The View tour in December face value for tickets is £16-£18, the White Lies December tour - tickets are £20-£23 - and it's Hogmanay - prices are always ramped up. I'm not saying it should be £40 or it shouldn't be - just saying that people are often a bit too quick to criticise.

Saying that though - it looks like it's only £15 for a ticket for Edinburgh street party, which has a really good line up for that price.

This AECC thing was probably a bit misguided - the cost to hire that place is fucking expensive, which will be the main reason the tickets are £40 a go. Who is organising the event anyway?

I do think that if it was more centrally located, like the Music Hall, they would have shifted enough tickets (even at £40 a go) to justify it - but they probably had to pay hefty fees for White Lies and The View and tried to get it at the AECC for more potential ticket sales.

Are Twin Atlantic actually playing? They're name is on the poster, but I see they're playing at the Forum on 12th December and they make no mention of the Hogmanay gig on their website.

DF Concerts are putting it on.

Guest Gladstone
Even if I was a fan of The View I doubt I'd want to see them on Hogmany. And are they really that popular? I haven't heard anything from / about them since they had that song about wearing jeans a few years back. Then again I have no idea who Twin Atlantic are.

The rest of The View's December tour seems to be sold out - but that will be at smaller venues than the AECC probably.

They are still a popular band in Scotland.

The line up is maybe just a couple of years out of date actually. The White Lies were really on the up a couple of years ago, but perhaps not so much anymore. I really liked what I heard of their second album, but to be honest, I'm pretty out of touch with what the kids are into these days. I stopped listening to Radio 1 about a year and a half ago, and don't really keep up with what's popular and what's not, so everything I've said is probably complete bollocks...

The rest of The View's December tour seems to be sold out - but that will be at smaller venues than the AECC probably.

They are still a popular band in Scotland.

The line up is maybe just a couple of years out of date actually. The White Lies were really on the up a couple of years ago, but perhaps not so much anymore. I really liked what I heard of their second album, but to be honest, I'm pretty out of touch with what the kids are into these days. I stopped listening to Radio 1 about a year and a half ago, and don't really keep up with what's popular and what's not, so everything I've said is probably complete bollocks...

While The View's December tour maybe sold out the size of venues they are playing aren't comparable to the AECC at all.

December 18 - Dunfermline Glen Pavillion's capacity is 600;

December 19 - O2 ABC Glasgow's capacity is 1,362;

December 21 - Fat Sam's capacity is around 1,000 depending on which set of google results you look at. That's their home-town;

Rather bizarrely, they make no mention of the Hogmany gig on their website either.

The View were being billed as the "headline" act as well weren't they? White Lies have had a bit of a year to forget as well from what I'd read in terms of their second album sales when measured against their first album?

A real shame for the local acts who were selected if it doesn't go ahead but you've really got to wonder at the thought process of DF with this one in terms of the line-up (i.e. the non-local acts), price and location.

Also, if they are offering tickets at half-price now, will they be refunding half of the cost to anyone who may have already purchased tickets?

If they are offering tickets at half-price at this stage then I think there is a very real danger that this will not go ahead.

I think this year has shown that a number of people have misjudged the Aberdeen music scence. The Northern Lights festival fell through as some had initially suspected it would.

When push comes to shove, Aberdeen is a small city with a transient population. Selling out Drummonds etc is one thing, getting a full house at the AECC or Seaton Park is another thing all together.

Don't get the street party confused with the concert though.

It's £15 just for the street party, £37.50 for a tickets to get into the gardens and £43 to be in the enclosure.

Guest Gladstone
Don't get the street party confused with the concert though.

It's £15 just for the street party, £37.50 for a tickets to get into the gardens and £43 to be in the enclosure.

Ah - I thought that looked a bit on the cheap side. I clicked through a link that had £15 plastered all over it that showed me the line up with a list of pretty impressive bands.

So, in total it's actually £95? It's probably still more for your money than the £40 for the AECC thingy, just because of the fact there are loads of bands on the line up, and a few really good bands, as well as the fact it's right in the middle of Edinburgh.

I still think the main problem with the Aberdeen one is that it's at the AECC which is completely isolated from civilisation which is not what Hogmanay party-goers are looking for.