aberdeen-music

Is it too early for an "albums for 2012" thread?

girl anachronism

Saw these guys live a couple of times, once supporting Idlewild in Glasgow, and I have to say they were one of the worst bands I've ever heard. Strange because Aereogramme were so awesome.

Aw man, what didn't you like about them? Their first album is the most depressing but lovely thing ever.

In other news, the new Guided By Voices album is up for preview on NPR: http://www.npr.org/2011/12/18/143507341/first-listen-guided-by-voices-lets-go-eat-the-factory

I felt I had nothing to contribute to this thread until I discovered Dirty Three have a new album out in March, yas.

http://www.bellaunion.com/index.php/site/news/dirty_three_announce_new_album_toward_the_low_sun_for_march_2012

If I don't manage to break my D3 live cherry next year I will weep...

They're playing Primavera. Fun for all the family.

I'm quite excited despite not having a ticket yet.

They're playing Primavera. Fun for all the family.

I'm quite excited despite not having a ticket yet.

They are also playing the Mogwai-curated day at the ATP thing in London next May. I'm quite tempted by that as Mudhoney and Codeine are also playing that day but I also want to see what dates they play on their own. But by the time that news in made public the ATP thing might sell out...dilemmas...

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly can't remember being as excited about an album as the forthcoming record by Julia Holter, called Ekstasis and due out in March. Her album 'Tragedy' from last year was my favourite of the year, and probably as good as any album I've heard in the last decade. She is ridiculously great, and the taster track from the album is fantastic:

Here are a few other tunes by her, most of which aren't on either album:

One of my favourite bands of the moment Lower Dens, announced new album details today. April 30th for Nootropics.

They also released an mp3 of the track "Brains" which is fucking amazing. Give it a few listens.

Here is the link to Pitchfork so you can stream it, but you can also download the track if you go to lowerdens.com.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/13005-lower-dens-brains/

I heartily recommend purchasing 2010's "Twin-Hand Movement" if you haven't already heard it.

Mainly looking forward to Future of the Left, Alabama Shakes, Camera Obscura, M. Ward (hopefully) and Janelle Monae.

Also looking forward to hearing more from

- With all the navel-gazing electro recently I'd almost given up on bands making songs that go for your throat like these guys.

Between these guys and Alabama Shakes the South of America is looking exciting.

- Part of the History of Apple Pie and Veronica Falls crowd of bands that are actually still doing something interesting with the 'fuzzy reverb' sound that EVERY band has been doing for the last two years.

XL have signed this guy which is probably an indication he's going to be massive. Somewhere between Daniel Johnston and Robert Johnson with a mad back story.

- Scratchy, jangley 'proper' indie. Amazing Smiths cover, hopefully going to fill the gap the Long Blondes left.
  • Upvote 1

The Ritas sound good. Proper DIY pop, lovely.
I'm listening to the few songs by the Ritas on Spotify right now, due to Ryan saying the phrase "fill the gap the Long Blondes left".

The singer sounds like a lady-Morrissey on 'Jeane', but it sounds good!

Glad you both liked them!

They're a lot more lo-fi than The Long Blondes as it's just the two of them with one guitar and the drum track on an old organ but I think they have a lot of that scuzzy glamour plus they love The Smiths and 1960's british kitchen-sink dramas so they feel very Long Blondes. Jeane is the only tune they have that's properly 'produced' so it's a good indication of how they could sound.

Any band that loves the Manics and references Kathleen Hanna and Kim Deal in their lyrics have got to be worth a punt!