aberdeen-music

The worst Aberdeen band...

Guest Sundaram

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nah i agree with maxi. i think emma forman is pretty bland and i don't find her voice to be anything special especially when you think of other singer songwriters like catherine and amy sawyers and fiona keenan.

Having worked with Emma in the studio and seen her live rather a few times I really can't see how anyoine can say that but each to their own. The first time I ever saw Emma she was playing with Jo McCafferty and Amy Sawyers and she completely blew Amy off the stage even tho Emma was acoustic and Amy was with the band, and despite definite sound issues for Emma. I think Emma's voice is fragile(but has some great power when required) and definitely not bland. Possibly controversial but I genuinely don't feel Amy is in the same league, I've seen Fiona a few times and likewise nothing struck me as special, good but not particularly interesting, I've never seen Kathryn but have heard she's very good. Amy Sawyer imho is ok at what she does but sounds like 1000 other female fronted bands out there, I feel the songs are pretty run of the mill and the vocals whilst good are nothing special.

I genuinely feel that Emma is one of the few singers in Aberdeen who has what it takes to break out and do something and she has superb vocals mixed with a great attitude and a good talent for writing some great pop/rock tunes. i can understand why people don't like her, but i think she's one of the best in terms of talent and attitude :) Still each to their own and that what makes this scene so diverse, but I can think of a lot of people who are imho deserving of this on their lack of originality alone.

Cheers

Stuart

i wouldn't say any of the singers i mentioned were monotone in the slightest.

True, but neither are they particularly intersting or original (exceotion of Kathryn - having not heard her) and for that matter having hear Emma sing the same song in the studio until its right for pur slave master producer, neither's Emma. Maybe I should post a link to the new song we've been working on with semi complete vocals and see what you think.

Cheers

Stuart

I think Mel's taste is music is vastly different from what we are aiming to do Stuart.. so might not be worth posting the link to be honest..we are aiming at more pop kind of thing. Not everyone's cup of tea on this messageboard but still think it is the right direction for the project.

no stuart, post the link. i'm interested to hear what she sounds like now because i'll admit it has been some time since i've heard her.

emma you seem to have become really indignant of the fact that i criticised your singing but it is just an opinion. i love pop music as much as i love rock so it's silly to just pass my opinion of you off as me having a different taste in music or whatever. but i'll listen to your new song with an open mind and i may even eat my words if i like it. i certainly won't be afraid to admit if i do like it, and i hope that when you come to see my at open mic, that you too keep an open mind and don't go in there with the pre-conceived idea not to like me based on the fact that i've said i didn't particularly like your voice.

I would just be honest...I wouldn't slag off your voice just because you dislike mine. My approach is completely different from that of the singers you listed as better singers. I feel that you have not kept that in mind when you judged me that because my style doesn't interest you doesn't make my music any less valid. Just because someone has a different style of singing from what you like doesn't make them bad...it just means you don't appreciate their style, if you see my point. Okay , it is true that I have chosen to sing in a style that I felt not many singers bother with in Aberdeen...eveyone tends to sing more rockier and I guess with more attitute..I used to sing that way but I'm bored of it now...its not me. As for my songs ..they are simplistic but the music that has touched me the most is simplistic. I just don't feel the need to write cryptic or witty lyrics like a lot of other singer songwriters. I just tell it as it is..and that is pretty much me. Sorry that you feel I'm being indignant but you might understand how it feels when/if you ever find yourself reading a post similar to the previous postings about your own singing. It isn't very pleasant! Especially if happen to care passionately about your singing/songwriting.

I'm not happy with the vocals on the track stuart is speaking about so I'd rather he didn't post it until I redo them but I'm more than happy for you to hear it then.

no stuart' date=' post the link. i'm interested to hear what she sounds like now because i'll admit it has been some time since i've heard her.

emma you seem to have become really indignant of the fact that i criticised your singing but it is just an opinion. i love pop music as much as i love rock so it's silly to just pass my opinion of you off as me having a different taste in music or whatever. but i'll listen to your new song with an open mind and i may even eat my words if i like it. i certainly won't be afraid to admit if i do like it, and i hope that when you come to see my at open mic, that you too keep an open mind and don't go in there with the pre-conceived idea not to like me based on the fact that i've said i didn't particularly like your voice.[/quote']

i have been to a lot of emmas gigs,

if the other performers were polite enough to be quite during other performers gig they might just hear the brilliant lyrics emma writes,

i find it downright rude that the other singers and bands chat while another singer is on stage,

i wouldn't say any of the singers i mentioned were monotone in the slightest.

i am not here to hurt any of them, but i have to say i found someone on the list very monotone indeed.

i wont say which, as i have no intention of upsetting her

ur all opinionated fucks an i dont care what any of you say about anyone especially fuckin maxi cuz he thinks he's a fuckin critic....well u may think ur a critic but ur not! Being a critic is easy but being a fuckin original critic is the hard part!

I will listen to a band and keep my opinion to myself unless i think their worth speaking about maybe u should all do the same!

err hmm.... I'm kinda bad for talking while other performers are onstage myself..I normally try not to but when I've had a drink in I do it without thinking. I shall try to mind the error of my ways on that front though.

yo emma,

no drinking then!!!

i,ll buy you a nice pint of water

so you wont

yap

I don't know if this makes any difference Danny but I actually thought you guys, lady mercedes , the score and star were all very good bands. There are a lot of bands listed I haven't heard so can't comment on. Most the bands listed here as crap are in my opinion actually very good bands. Personally I think a 'what is your fav band' thread is far more constructive but people tend to react more to 'the worst' and think that is why it keeps being dragged up again and again.

ur all opinionated fucks an i dont care what any of you say about anyone especially fuckin maxi cuz he thinks he's a fuckin critic....well u may think ur a critic but ur not! Being a critic is easy but being a fuckin original critic is the hard part!

I will listen to a band and keep my opinion to myself unless i think their worth speaking about maybe u should all do the same!

and you are a foul mouthed lout

yeh...well u dont even know me so :finger:

p.s. emma we should arrange a shared acoustic gig at drummonds some time! :D

ho well i am the lucky one , dont want to know you ether with a gob like that!!!

I would just be honest...I wouldn't slag off your voice just because you dislike mine. My approach is completely different from that of the singers you listed as better singers. I feel that you have not kept that in mind when you judged me that because my style doesn't interest you doesn't make my music any less valid. Just because someone has a different style of singing from what you like doesn't make them bad...it just means you don't appreciate their style' date=' if you see my point. Okay , it is true that I have chosen to sing in a style that I felt not many singers bother with in Aberdeen...eveyone tends to sing more rockier and I guess with more attitute..I used to sing that way but I'm bored of it now...its not me. As for my songs ..they are simplistic but the music that has touched me the most is simplistic. I just don't feel the need to write cryptic or witty lyrics like a lot of other singer songwriters. I just tell it as it is..and that is pretty much me. Sorry that you feel I'm being indignant but you might understand how it feels when/if you ever find yourself reading a post similar to the previous postings about your own singing. It isn't very pleasant! Especially if happen to care passionately about your singing/songwriting.

I'm not happy with the vocals on the track stuart is speaking about so I'd rather he didn't post it until I redo them but I'm more than happy for you to hear it then.[/quote']

to be honest, i formed my opinions on your singing style before i'd seen the other singers i mentioned. i trained as a singer for six years and have been subjected to many different styles which is where i picked up on what i like and what i don't like. but i didn't say you were a bad singer, because you're not, just that i found your style a little bland, which is not something you should take to heart because i'm just one person with one opinion and you'll find many more of them in your career as a singer. you really should just learn to brush off criticisms and ignore them if you don't find them constructive rather than take them to heart as i feel you've done. because some people, not me, but some may see that as a means of winding you up to get a reaction out of you, especially on these boards.

yeah that would be great Danny! Just give me a shout when you have a date in mind.

and popo..u are gonna BUY me a pint of water..how generous lol

:up:

I'll be wanting expensive water..not the cheap stuff from the tap.

hey that stuff in bottles is just a con , you'll get tap water and like it or i will chat all through your songs!!!

you better not popo! :gringo:

Well how long ago was it that u heard me?...I only started doing solo stuff in 2001 and I've taken a few breaks from it in that period of time due to a hand injury that left me unable to play guitar for many months...so I don't have the same experience or confidence that performers like Jo McCafferty does...who in my opinion is the best singer songwriter in Aberdeen. However, I also have been to singing lessons..in classical music but I don't use any of what I learned from my lessons because I'm doing my own thing. I just think people don't think before they post on this forum because if see ur name on a forum called ' the worst band in aberdeen' would you be ok with it? Far all you know your name might be on a thread like this one day.

also I admit to having done some awful gigs due to not really being up to perform but too stubborn to cancel..had a lot of shit happen in my life lately that hasn't helped..more info than required but its free so there you go.

ooh meeow!!

like i remember getting a right slagging from you about my singing!!

bet you dont even remember it ether, think you were not on the water

That doesn't sound like me lol...u sure I've heard u sing? Don't remember that at all

so how many singers have you slagged off then,

glasgow 2003,

still i think your singing well put me in the shade.