aberdeen-music

The Pop Music Thread

Paranoid Android

'Pop music' as I understand the classic definition is short for 'popular music' and originally tended to cover anything that fell outwith niche genres like jazz, blues, etc and was represented by songs of shortish duration, 2 - 3 minute type deal, and tended to be appearing in the charts. Of course, since the late 60's the charts have featured all sorts of genres, from metal to glam to punk and beyond, so I suppose it is tricky to nail it down as a term these days.

Oo, 'what is pop?' is the new post-modern take on 'what is punk?'...as with punk, I suppose 'pop' is whatever you want to make it in the grand scheme of things.

To my own mind, however, 'pop' remains music of an OBVIOUS commercial nature with hooks and widespread appeal.

• Upvote 1

Of course people have different ideas of what pop music is, that's inherent with the genre.

E.g. stuff like Diarmad posted is not what I think of as pop music at all, does mean that's a bad thing.

I tend to like more modern pop music but it doesn't bother me if there are load of posts of 70's hits.

Maybe there should be a 2011 pop thread and a nostalgia pop thread, but considering there (to my knowledge has never been pop thread on here) an all encompassing thread seemed valid.

And if there#s been anything obscure, is being recommended new music on an internet music forum really a big deal?

At least the songs Diarmad posted had strong pop melodies. (Even if they were mostly New Wave bands)

But, going by the definition of pop used in this thread, I could simply post obscure pop-punk songs in here from now until the end of time, because that just happens to be what I like.

And if there's been anything obscure, is being recommended new music on an internet music forum really a big deal?

There's always a place for recommending obscure music or bands, but you have to ask yourself where the best place might be for doing that. Would that be in the POP music thread? Posting weird, obscure "pop" artists in here sort of detracts from the spirit of the exercise. It's all a bit too cool for school. Having said that, this thread seems to have recovered a bit since my initial complaint.

At least the songs Diarmad posted had strong pop melodies. (Even if they were mostly New Wave bands)

But, going by the definition of pop used in this thread, I could simply post obscure pop-punk songs in here from now until the end of time, because that just happens to be what I like.

There's always a place for recommending obscure music or bands, but you have to ask yourself where the best place might be for doing that. Would that be in the POP music thread? Posting weird, obscure "pop" artists in here sort of detracts from the spirit of the exercise. It's all a bit too cool for school. Having said that, this thread seems to have recovered a bit since my initial complaint.

From my perspective, it's all about posting what you think is a well crafted, catchy as hell Pop song, whoever it is by. At least that is what I've been doing. I think in this day and age, POP means much more than just popular.