aberdeen-music

Phone apps

framheim

Anyone got any amazing apps which I should download for my android phone? Any particularly good emulators out there or ones which you can't live without but might have slipped through the net?

All I ever get recommended are things like angry birds and qr readers, which are pretty obvious. I know there are more obscure but useful apps out there.

If you have an Android phone, ADW Launcher is a pretty good home screen replacement and launcher app.

Astrid Task Manager is handy and the NASA app is awesome for wallpapers. I know the NASA app is pretty obvious but it's really amazing.

Couple of interesting music apps, Circularity is a synth triggered by touchpad and circles with an ever increasing radius. quirky and absorbing.

Caustic is a pretty powerful(for a phone) synth/drum machine/thing.

VL-Tone is a casio vl-tone synth on your phone. who wouldn't want that?

now you go...

Runkeeper or Cardiotrainer are great for tracking exercise

Traveline Scotland is essential if you use public transport

Music Sheet, Piano Sight Reading and Quick Chords are all simple, small and useful for music theory.

Uloops Lite is a fun sequencer

Gstrings Free is a superb guitar tuner

Amazon UK, BBC News, Wordpress, iPlayer, Google Goggles are essential.

Google Docs is good but don't let it sync to your phone automatically if you store large documents on google. Ouch.

F1.com - gives all the data the commentators have for race weekends to your phone

Evernote - good for making notes that you can access on different devices

Gmote - good app for streaming from and controlling your computer from your phone

Air Control - Good fun game where you have to land airplanes/helicopters

ATK - can be set to kill apps that are running using up your battery life

AdFree - for getting rid of ads in apps and on the web (needs phone to be rooted, doesn't work with all apps)

MoonChaser - A fun little game that has you controlling gravity for a ninja

GIFshop is ace fun

Evernote is an essential, so is instapaper (probably my most used app - lets you save websites to read later)

Whatsapp is awesome is you have friends with smartphones in other countries.

epicurious for foodies

Songkick for gigs (dunno what the coverage is like in the UK)

Pulse for news feeds

travel/social stuff : foursquare, gowalla, trover, foodspotting, airbnb, Groupon, localmind

i just downloaded one called spb tv which lets you watch over 150 free to air tv channels from across the world.

i also got an app called busuu which teaches different languages. just download the one you want to learn. i'm trying german.

I had gowalla on a previous phone but didn't really use it. foursquare's ok. evernote is essential for me too.

i just downloaded one called spb tv which lets you watch over 150 free to air tv channels from across the world.

i also got an app called busuu which teaches different languages. just download the one you want to learn. i'm trying german.

I had gowalla on a previous phone but didn't really use it. foursquare's ok. evernote is essential for me too.

Keep an eye on your data usage by the way. My first two bills with the S2 were very expensive...

The Tripadvisor app is great as well, forgot to mention it earlier.

You don't need a seperate task manager for the version of android on the S2. It's got one built in and it doesn't leave apps running permanently. They're left in a steady state, not using any battery power (memory is less of an issue than on the hero).

why would the data usage with the s2 be any greater than the hero?

Not sure but I never went over the 500Mb limit with the hero but I've steamed past it two months in a row on the S2. Although part of that I think was installing Google Docs and letting it sync to the phone, forgetting that I had some very large files (a zip file of photos from a friend's wedding for example) on there :(

Also some google apps like to automatically update when on a 3G connection. The cads.

Not sure but I never went over the 500Mb limit with the hero but I've steamed past it two months in a row on the S2. Although part of that I think was installing Google Docs and letting it sync to the phone, forgetting that I had some very large files (a zip file of photos from a friend's wedding for example) on there :(

Also some google apps like to automatically update when on a 3G connection. The cads.

I found the culprit for this (after going massively over my data allowance again, just a week into my billing period!) and it turned out to be the AP Mobile widget. Never, ever add this to your homepage.

Yesterday it used 140MB before I switched 3G off and then after installing an app to track what was raping my data it used another 100MB or so this morning. It's now been unceremoniously booted in the chuff and removed from my homepage.

Guest Gladstone

I shifted job a wee while ago and had to hand back my iphone. I don't really miss the iphone at all - never really liked it to be honest, but there are a few things I miss about it - most of them are apps.

I now have a blackberry curve - how the fuck do you get apps for the blackberry? The app store on the iphone was incredibly simple to use, but I haven't found out how to get apps on the blackberry. I did download the facebook app after just logging into the mobile site for facebook to be greeted with DOWNLOAD OUR MOTHERFUCKIN' APP, so that was fairly simple. Where do you get other apps!?

I shifted job a wee while ago and had to hand back my iphone. I don't really miss the iphone at all - never really liked it to be honest, but there are a few things I miss about it - most of them are apps.

I now have a blackberry curve - how the fuck do you get apps for the blackberry? The app store on the iphone was incredibly simple to use, but I haven't found out how to get apps on the blackberry. I did download the facebook app after just logging into the mobile site for facebook to be greeted with DOWNLOAD OUR MOTHERFUCKIN' APP, so that was fairly simple. Where do you get other apps!?

Here you go

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...