aberdeen-music

Feeler ........could be interested in good acoustic

bac

I've been playing electric guitar and bass for more years than I like to admit and never owned a decent acoustic. I'm giving serious thought to getting my hands on one.

I'm not an expert and could be flexible but my first thoughts are that I'd like something that's as close to an electric as possible in terms of playability without sacrificing tone. Probably small bodied, low action, might prefer a cutaway and suited to light-ish strings.

I'm being advised on-board electronics are not a good idea but an off-board preamp and transducer type arrangement as part of the package could be attractive.

Budget wise I'm flexible - the most important thing is that I feel confident I can sell it on for similar money if I find I'm never picking it up. I'd probably prefer something fairly high end but that's not set in stone.

The factory electrics on this model consists of a piezo under the bone part of the bridge and a pencil type pre-amp and socket powered by a 9v battery (it's a fishman gold) , there is no volume control or EQ on the guitar just a balanced output , plug into an outboard pre-amp or straight into the desk , if it sounds good enough for Eric I don't think anyone else will be dissapointed ;)

Thanks for the replies.

SCG I'm not 100% sure what you mean by a gibo dot but if you're thinking 335 or similar I have a 339. It's not very close to an acoustic though, I pretty much think of it in the same way as a solid body in terms of what you can play on it.

Kybosh I'm quite interested in the Martin, I will pm if I can work out how to on this new board.

A martin ! yes ... you'd get your money back when you sell it later. I have a D35 and I have the Fishman pickup but I have the blend version which has a microphone as well as the piezo under the bridge. For future I'd just go with the piezo as the mic does improve the amplified sound, but it also has a negative effect on the un-plugged sound. The control panel sticks onto the soundboard and it dampens the acoustic soundscape!

I have a Les Paul Classic, I have a Fender Tele Deluxe ... both of these guitars are superb examples but somehow I love the Martin most of all.

Stuart

If you want something very close to an electric guitar why not just get one with piezos? I have one of these and through the acoustic channel of my practice amp it sounds pretty decent (looks like a similar system to the one on that Martin acoustic!). Obviously doesn't sound as good as an acoustic but it certainly plays like an electric ;) By tweaking the sound through an EQ pedal could probably make it sound better too.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/e_guitars_with_piezo_pickups.html

Will give you an idea of what is available or a link to the 'newer' version of my guitar, although they don't make them anymore. I think they did a few S series with piezos too that offers more colour choice than just sparkly black

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-rg1820-x/3429

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you got it sold Kybosh and that you got the 12 string you were gassing for.

I tried out Kybosh's Martin. It was a terrific guitar and he was looking for a very fair price but it didn't have close-to-an electric playability I was looking for. Maybe I'm looking for the impossible.

Thanks for the suggestions Keeno but I don't think the piezo is for me. A Variax acoustic is a possibility but I'd really prefer the aesthetic of a genuine acoustic if I could find one I can play comfortably.

Sing this to the tune of "Here we go, here we go, here we go..."

"Wank Wank Wank, Wank Wank Wank, Wank Wank Wank, Wank Wank Wank, Wank Wank Wank, Wank Wank Waaaa-aaaank"

Disagree, the sound comes from the way the wood vibrates, sticking something on it is obviously going to affect the (acoustic) tone.

• 2 months later...

Since this thread has been bumped I'll mention I'm still possibly interested in a good acoustic with the same proviso as before - needs to be fairly close to electric playability. I'm thinking possibly a Taylor, as they seem to have a reputation for low action and easy playability, but would consider other brands. Stu I'm not interested in a Dreadnought, so not treading on your toes here.