aberdeen-music

Video Games that are both New and Good

Soda Jerk

Impossible. There's nae a party so you can't even cancel that.

Is it because I didn't put the question in bold?

Probably because they appeal to very different demographics so people are unlikely to own both? If you want a racing game, get f1, if you want a first person adventure get dead island. As for the 'best' game, F1 gets higher reviews and dead island has received lots of criticism for bad coding and glitches and generally 'playing like abudget title'.

If anyone wants FIFA 12 and has held off, Tesco online store have a deal where you can get FIFA 12 for £25 when you buy it with any other top 20 title.

http://www.tescoentertainment.com/store/browse/games/fifa12launchoffer/?utm_source=xboxlanding&utm_medium=primary&utm_campaign=fifa12launchoffer

With Deus Ex selling for £25 that means you can get both for £50. I'm tempted! Based on the demos I think I now prefer PES though aside from the gash keepers which are being patched on release. FIFA this year is just too bloody hard to score. I played 3 games on semi-pro (I normally play on professional) with Barcelona and only scored 1 goal, and it was not a through ball - sprint past defence combo. It was that new dribble move that totally takes players out and finesse shooting into the corner from outside the box! They should have a proper tutorial for all the dribbling moves as they really are essential now for creating space. Crossing and heading are both much harder too.

Anyone bought FIFA? Have they fixed the management mode? I refuse to buy the game if it is broken like last year. Players improved at random and buying promising youngsters was a waste of time. At least the master league in PES is always decent!

Fifa 12 is better than 11. I barely touched 11 because it was annoying. Manager mode is better, and young promising players develop very well. You also have a youth academy which scouts find teenagers for, and you can promote the most promising ones to the first team. Transfer deadline day is a whole heap of fun too as you have hour by hour negotiations. You have to keep your players happy too, so buying and hoarding players and only playing your best XI isn't an option. You need to rotate or players get pissy, especially if they expect to be first teamers. I'm currently benching Rio Ferdinand in favour of Phil Jones, and Rio is merked.

Defending is hard, as it seems to easy to dribble through defences if you are playing against an actual person. The CPU can do it too, but you can't do it to them.

Right Soda Jerk - let's talk. I FIFAtrust you. Teach me in a paragraph how to defend in FIFA 12, please. It's all about jockeying, right? Jockey, jockey, jockey, TACKLE. When the time is right, obviously. Am I right? Do your stuff...I'm counting on you.

The theory is jockey and stay goalside. Use teammate contain if you're in trouble and keep switching players so you're not pulling your defence out of position. If you're jockeying you'll tackle automatically but you should still use standing tackle occasionally.

I need someone to teach me how to score goals. I had to turn the difficuly down to semi-pro after I got fed up of all the nil-nil draws in my manager career. Guess it's realistic that Aberdeen can't score...

I use the contain button (A, or presumably X on a PS3) a lot, especially in my own half if I'm defending a lead. It really slows down the opponents forward play and leads them to make mistakes. On the wings I use jockey a fair bit, but sometimes its easier just to fly in with a standing or slide tackle. Holding the tackle button whilst alongside an attacker works great with a big defender/aggressive fullback as well. With contain however, you seem to be able to move closer into the opponent as you contain them to perform a tackle, which sometimes works for me too. As Chris said, changing man is important, morseso than other installments, so make sure you do that a lot as they pass the ball about, instead of chasing players down all the time. I think its set up so that you can defend a bunch of different ways, really its down to your team and personal preference.

I'm taking to it well, playing on world class already in a Blackburn career and smashing them in. David Goodwillie is ridiculous, and I have Zigic playing up top with him. David Hoilett is unstoppable also. They have about 25 goals betwen them at mid season. I was finding it hard to use big defenders like Samba and N'zonzi to begin with, but I've gotten the jist of how to use them. The players are a lot more unique than ever before, which really adds a lot to the game.

Chris, I had a problem with scoring to begin, but once you get good at precision dribbling, it becomes a lot easier to get space and playing down the wings.

It really is outstanding though. The best new installment ever, I'd say. The player impact engine messes up from time to time, but that's forgiveable. They'll get it perfect next time.

I had my first suprise from the impact engine the other day. One of my players tripped over Jon Daly and landed on Daly's shoulder. Off he went with an arm injury. Great stuff.

Only disappointment was that it automatically made my player dunt the ball back to their keeper from the drop ball. I wanted the choice to be a grippy shit if I wanted to be.

• 2 weeks later...