aberdeen-music

Video Games that are both New and Good

Soda Jerk

So, we have a gaming section, but not enough threads about games. So let's talk games.

I have fallen right out of the video gaming loop. Literally, the only game I own is FIFA 11. I need new games. So, what is NEW and GOOD?

I like Sports sims mostly, and sandbox style games like GTA4. Not interested in FPS as I can't do them, though I did rent Bulletstorm, which was fun, but can't imagine getting more than a weekend of joy out of it. I got my arse handed to me online by foul mouthed children too.

Is Madden 12 worth getting? I hear they don't update much other than rosters every season, and most people find that disappointing, but I haven't played a Madden game since the original Xbox. Would prefer to get the NCAA 12 but it's region locked and it doesn't get a sniff of a release over here. Also considering NHL 12 too, but again, haven't played a hockey sim in years. The NHL series any good these days?

Talk about games that are coming out soon which you are getting giddy about, or games that you are currently ignoring your girlfriends just to put in the hours for.

If you like sandbox games and you haven't got Red Dead Redemption then you should sort that out.

The Space Marine demo out recently was fun in a shoot and slash kind of way.

I'm a bit out of the loop as well to be honest. Love the Assassins Creed games and there's a new one of them coming out soon. Forza 4 next month as well.

I just couldn't get into RDD, though I really wanted to. I played it a little bit, and it seemed like alot of travelling around. Again, like Bulletstorm, crafty children caned me online. I'm shooting the little blighters 5 or 6 times, yet one shot and I'm dead. I wanted to bite chunks out of my controller.

You just have to accept that, in games that require fast reflexes and accuracy, 12 year old homophobic racists will beat the shit out of you every time because they have nothing better to do with their time.

I treat those games now as just "how long can I survive?" rather than "how many kills can I get?"

You just have to accept that, in games that require fast reflexes and accuracy, 12 year old homophobic racists will beat the shit out of you every time because they have nothing better to do with their time.

I treat those games now as just "how long can I survive?" rather than "how many kills can I get?"

True that. I do continuously get called gay when I play online.

Aberdeen-music Halo night was pretty fun. We should do something like that again.

I seem to recall Dave Officer or someone getting loads of grief from a puny child when we did that.

heh, it was probably me. i had to turn off chat on xbox live, i couldn't take being called gay and a noob anymore. it's so demoralising being constantly abused by tiny children as they completely destroy you.

Is that a first person shooter? If the answer is yes, then my answer is no. I just can't do FPS.

Was Skate 3 any good? The first 2 always seemed really promising, but mind bendingly frustrating.

I can't decide between Madden12 or NHL12 to get today at lunchtime. Madden gets a few poor reviews, but that seems to be mostly from those who expected more updates/new features in the new game. Maybe I won't be as disappointed since I haven't played a Madden game since about 2004. Then again NHL looks more fun in the very short demo I have. Body checks and fighting!

The Americans get really pissy about inconsistencies. On the NHL forums, some guy complained because he played the demo, and on the close up of the skate, the laces were a light grey colour, but the bow/knot was more of a white. He was fuming. What a mental dickhead.

If you havent played it yet, Batman:Arkham Asylum is a really good game you can get for cheap now! i only got it recently and was surprised by how good it is, and im not even much of a batman fan . its a 3rd person action/platformer/stealth/fighting game so theres a bit of variety. Dont be put off by the demo if you try it, as the game opens up into a sandbox after the linear 'training' section at the start and thats when it really gets going.

I'm biased being a massive hockey fan but there's a reason the EA NHL franchise has won so many sports game of the year awards. Its fucking perfect.

I still haven't bought NHL 12 but will be trading in a bunch of games to buy it come payday next week.

NHL 12 has goalie fights, driving the net and awesome new hitting system. I preferred NHL 10 to NHL 11, but the demo for NHL 12 seems awesome.

Notice Fifa 12 is out at the end of the month. Might pick that up for the first time since 09.

Demo is on xbox live today. I'm downloading it as we speak.

Is the new Driver any good?

Again demo on xbox live. It got good reviews from gaming websites but it seems to me based on the comments sections of the review articles people are very much divided. The switching mechanic is a bit weird (in one of the demo missions you have to switch back and forth between two cars to ensure they finish 1st and 2nd in a race, in another you have to 'possess' a car driving nearby and make him do crazy things to alert the police) and I didn't like the handling much. It is quite stiff and 'realistic' whereas driver was awesome because of the crazy drifts you could do.

I should point out I didn't like GTA4 for the exact same reason. The car handling was too stiff and it was very difficult to be precise (I will admit I only ever played the first 2 missions though, need to play through it some time!)

Very impressed by the new FIFA demo. Nothing hugely different but good tweaks and it is much easier to time tackles and defend tactically with the new system. It is not as radical a change as they make it out to be though. The pushing/pulling while jockeying seemed largely ineffective to me.

Hopefully xbox users will actually get a PES demo this year after the whole 'technical problems' debacle. I keep wanting and hoping PES to be as good as the PS2 games but I'm certainly not going to buy the game without a demo against an impressive FIFA.