aberdeen-music

Pearl Jam 20

Moose

http://www.pj20.com/about/

This is the Pearl Jam movie to celebrate their 20 year anniversary. It's made up of 1,200 hours of unseen footage of live performances, interviews and fly on the wall sort of stuff and aims to document their time as a band. The ups and downs, the fights, the triumphs etc...

I'm not sure if many folk on here will care about this, but I'm dead excited about it. My understanding is that many people think Pearl Jam released an album in 1991 and then disappeared. Not true, they have been one of the most consistently brilliant bands of the last 20 years. 9 studio albums, and about 3, maybe 4, live/acoustic albums. They may have a few shakey moments and one or two godawful songs, but none of their albums are shit. This is extremely rare for a 20 year old band!

They are my favourite band. I get a lot of stick for saying this, but people who don't like Pearl Jam are bad people (I don't really think that).

So, this is on at the Vue on the 20th of the month and I implore you to go and see it, even if you don't know much of their stuff. Yes, there will be cringey interview scenes where Eddie Vedder talks a load of bollocks; and I'm sure there will be hilarious Some Kind of Monster-esque "discussion" scenes, but most of it will be excellent! You'll get a some decent exposure to a great band who are underappreciated in this part of the world.

There latest album is their worst. Albums like Riot Act and S/T are relatively new, and outstanding though. Yes Shaki, it not all the 1,200 hours OBV.

Riot Act, S/T and Backspacer come nowhere close to any of Ten, Vs, Vitalogy, No Code or Yield.

Into The Wild soundtrack is better than those three as well, I'd guess.

Some of my favourite gigs have been Pearl Jam shows. Time to dig out some old bootlegs...

I'll be checking it out for sure. Huge Pearl Jam fan in my teens and carried it through to adulthood, though I haven't really enjoyed any of their albums since Yield. Saw them on the Binarural tour in 2000, superb gig.

Ten / Vs / Yield / Vitalogy - should be in everyone's record collection. Everything else, meh. Though I also loved Eddie's "Into The Wild" soundtrack.

The Into the Wild soundtrack is outstanding. He has a new album of ukelele songs which is pretty good also, if a bit self indulgent. Its up on Spotify. I particularly like his cover of the song from The Jerk with Cat Power (mind you I love everything that Cat Power sings, even though many of her songs are terrible).

I get where folk are coming from with S/T and Backspacer, but Riot Act is excellent. I'd put their studio albums in the following order: No Code, Yield, Riot Act, Ten, Vs, Vitalogy, S/T, Binaural then Backspacer. you see, outstanding albums throughout there years. Following this sequence (my fave -> least fave albums of their's are numbered 4, 5, 7, 1, 2, 3, 8, 6, 9; with each value based on their chronology) my calculations suggest their next album will be the best album ever.

I'm glad to see there are some Pearl Jam fans in Aberdeen that aren't myself or my eldest brother though! :up:

I got love for Pearl Jam... I went to Leeds Festival a few years ago especially to see them. Had to endure My Chemical Romance too but it was worth the pain.

Liked Stone Gossards solo album and also what I've seen of Matt Cameron's jazz influenced group Harrybu McCage.

Favourite Pearl Jam track is probably I got shit.

I'd put their studio albums in the following order: No Code, Yield, Riot Act, Ten, Vs, Vitalogy, S/T, Binaural then Backspacer.

Yas. I love a list.

Vitalogy, No Code, Vs, Yield, Ten, Riot Act, Binaural, S/T, Backspacer

Here's another one.

Verona, London Astoria, London Shepherd's Bush, Milan, London O2, London Wembley Arena, San Diego, Glasgow, Belfast, Irvine

:up:

Oooh lets see.

Vs > Ten > Yield > Vitalogy > Riot Act > Binaural > No Code.... I've never really listened to the self titled album, my mate gave me a copy of it last year along with a ton of other stuff I'm slowly working through, I just haven't got round to it yet. I don't own Backspacer. And tbh I've only listened to No Code a few times despite having owned it since it was released. I just can't get into it.

No Code is a fine, fine album.

offramp, I assume your second list is of all the times you've seen them? That's mad that you've seen them all those times. I saw them once, in Barcelona in 2006. Wolfmother, who are pap, supported and their singer joined PJ for a rendition of Hunger Strike, which was very good. I will see them again soon I reckon. A trip to London may be on the cards though...

Went to see this in the Belmont.

Thought it was a great watch and very interesting.

And I'm not really a massive Pearl Jam fan.

Yeah I went to the Belmont as well. Really well made film. The clip of Release from the Verona arena in the pouring rain gave me goosebumps - I was at that show.

Some incredible early band footage - the Singles party, Chris Cornell, Andy Wood, Eddie and Kurt at the MTV awards, the Grammys, ticketmaster hearing.

Great film! Exactly what I wanted it to be. There were glimmers of egos, particularly from Vedder, but overall its great to see such a great band so humble. All the footage was so great and I liked that it didn't delve into relationships between band members, it just focussed on the band and why they are so great. Its just one of those films that inspires you to do better at your own musical endeavours, and to enjoy them more, which I will do. A kick up the arse I was in need of. Pearl Jam are awesome.