aberdeen-music

studio for producing electronic music

chilli

i've never heard of an electronic artist who doesnt produce in their own studio. how would that work?

Proper monitoring in an accoustically treated contrl room, professional outboard gear, an array of synths and effects you don't have access to at home or might never have dreamed of using, a good desk to mix on...loads of reasons why you would want a real studio for electronic music over doing it at home...

Synths+at+Redwood+2.jpg

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Proper monitoring in an accoustically treated contrl room, professional outboard gear, an array of synths and effects you don't have access to at home or might never have dreamed of using, a good desk to mix on...loads of reasons why you would want a real studio for electronic music over doing it at home...

a) 99% of club producers use their own gear full stop to create compositions.

b) if you were going to hire out the type of studio you pictured, wouldn't your budget also probably cover a £70 return flight to London and a b&b? do you really need to ask on aberdeen-music if this facility exists locally? "Aye, well there's Captain Tom's, Mark Nicol out in the sticks will do you a good deal on a demo as well...oh yeah, I almost forgot, there's also this other one which is world renowned and full of hundreds of thousands of pounds of vintage analogue electronics - Kraftwerk are in there at the moment working on a new album"

c) if you really needed to benefit from acoustics, monitoring & outboard gear and effects, wouldn't you once again take your finished-at-home production to a studio to mix it down? why pay by the hour to 'lay down' tracks.

• Upvote 2

Ive been producing electronic music for the best part of 10 years. I make my money through beatport itunes and napster.

You dont need anything you have pictured above thats just being anal about what your doing.

All you need is a good DAW like Reason or Ableton Live a bunch of Vsts And a good Midi Sequencer.

All this outbourd gear and modular nonsense is just so that you can be more hands on and know exactly the settings you are using, with time and patience this can all be acheived by using vsts and soft synths.

The only part i would possibly use another studio for is mastering but even then why spend hours making a track and getting the sound right to send it off and have another producer do the opposite off what you do.

If you want to waste money by going somewere then feel free thats your choice but most producers work from home.

a) 99% of club producers use their own gear full stop to create compositions.

b) if you were going to hire out the type of studio you pictured, wouldn't your budget also probably cover a £70 return flight to London and a b&b? do you really need to ask on aberdeen-music if this facility exists locally? "Aye, well there's Captain Tom's, Mark Nicol out in the sticks will do you a good deal on a demo as well...oh yeah, I almost forgot, there's also this other one which is world renowned and full of hundreds of thousands of pounds of vintage analogue electronics - Kraftwerk are in there at the moment working on a new album"

c) if you really needed to benefit from acoustics, monitoring & outboard gear and effects, wouldn't you once again take your finished-at-home production to a studio to mix it down? why pay by the hour to 'lay down' tracks.

I was simply pointing out some of the reasons why you would go to a studio instead of doing stuff at home....in answer to the OP's question....nope! go to someone heres house instead ....

Guest Tam o' Shantie
I was simply pointing out some of the reasons why you would go to a studio instead of doing stuff at home....in answer to the OP's question....nope! go to someone heres house instead ....

I get your point man, just saying it's really unheard of for folk in this field of production to work in this way. Hence my surprise and curiosity as to what the OP is actually looking for, and why?

got a good friend moving up these parts & is asking if there are any good studios for producing/mixing excellent quality electronic music....any help appreciated

Lot's of "electronic"artists use external studio's, Ed Rush, Roni Size, MJ Cole, Messiah, Felix Da House Cat to name but a few.

Admittedly they'll have their samples and pre production done before hand.

If you have a firm idea of what you want try Andy @ Musical Vision.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...